Who has guitar-mix problems??

I guess I just don't wanna accept that the fireface is as good as it gets.. because I've used the dual avalon and.. it just had some extra smoothness to it. ya know?
Oh by the way.. me and my roommate turned that horrid thing into a shitty christmas song. Here.. merry xmas all. http://drop.io/merryxmasbad

The Fireface definitely ISN'T as good as it gets. You should improve your source tone before you go upgrading ANYTHING though.

I guess I just don't wanna accept that the fireface is as good as it gets.. because I've used the dual avalon and.. it just had some extra smoothness to it. ya know?
Oh by the way.. me and my roommate turned that horrid thing into a shitty christmas song. Here.. merry xmas all. http://drop.io/merryxmasbad

as good as it gets? no

as good as you'll get without dropping thousands? yes

good enough to yield professional results? again, yes

ok I have to go way off topic and ask...what the flying fuck is up with the Taylor Swift Crabcore cover? I Lol'd! Just listen to that song stoned...you might shit bricks.

original test clip sounded fine.

I most certainly do agree that it is all their ears.. but everyone has a little trick.. Im sure his cranesong 8 channel preamp monster does make things sound the best that they could ever sound.. so ..ya know it may be a 5% difference, but that 5% does help. I'd just love to know what that little difference sounds like.

Dude, did you listen to the clip I posted? (and read the gear I used to get it? ;)) Not to mention so many other tones recorded here with cheap preamps/interfaces (Ryan/CatharsisStudios used a Firepod for ages, then stock Profire preamps, now Onyx, for example); the later something is in the signal chain, the less impact it has on the overall sound (and the best preamps/converters in the world can't fix a problem with guitar/pickup/amp/cab/mic choice and tweaking)

Dude, did you listen to the clip I posted? (and read the gear I used to get it? ;)) Not to mention so many other tones recorded here with cheap preamps/interfaces (Ryan/CatharsisStudios used a Firepod for ages, then stock Profire preamps, now Onyx, for example); the later something is in the signal chain, the less impact it has on the overall sound (and the best preamps/converters in the world can't fix a problem with guitar/pickup/amp/cab/mic choice and tweaking)

Yeah, sounds tits!! I think I need to go back to simple... check this out though.. I pulled myself away from the modern channel on the rectumfire and used vintage on channel 2. kinda sounds a little Adam D'ish for the new KsE.. I think... Well, let me know if you think im gettin closer. http://drop.io/v30vintagets

Yeah, sounds tits!! I think I need to go back to simple... check this out though.. I pulled myself away from the modern channel on the rectumfire and used vintage on channel 2. kinda sounds a little Adam D'ish for the new KsE.. I think... Well, let me know if you think im gettin closer. http://drop.io/v30vintagets

I think that sounds sick!! was this in the big room or the little room?

First off, I don't think any of your clips were particularly bad at all! In fact I enjoyed most of em.

One thing I wil mention though, is that going from my old Avatar 2x12 to a Mesa Oversized cab was a night and day difference in tone...but I wouldn let that hold much weight here since I dig your tones!

This thread is going in a good direction. All of the advice so far is spot on in my opinion. Oh, and the Royer should definitely be straight on the dustcap in my opinion.

-Joe

is it just me, or did the OP have a totally wrong attitude towards improving the tone? "The tone suxorz, I must get gear x to make it better". Well, the biggest change in tone comes by changing the gear operator and musician.

You might get better tone if you change the gear. Or then you might just spend a shit load of cash for nothing. You have proven that you have all the needed equipment to get professional quality guitartone. But the further down the line of the signalchain you make the change, the smaller the improvement. You can make 0.0001% improvement by changing the DAW, and maybe ~5% better by changing the preamp and converters, but you can make the tone 300% better by using the same gear you already have, but using different setting and placing a different type mic (dynamic cardioid mic instead of figure eight ribbon).

is it just me, or did the OP have a totally wrong attitude towards improving the tone? "The tone suxorz, I must get gear x to make it better". Well, the biggest change in tone comes by changing the gear operator and musician.

You might get better tone if you change the gear. Or then you might just spend a shit load of cash for nothing. You have proven that you have all the needed equipment to get professional quality guitartone. But the further down the line of the signalchain you make the change, the smaller the improvement. You can make 0.0001% improvement by changing the DAW, and maybe ~5% better by changing the preamp and converters, but you can make the tone 300% better by using the same gear you already have, but using different setting and placing a different type mic (dynamic cardioid mic instead of figure eight ribbon).

I think this has been a good example for people too. I kinda knew that I had decent gear.. I needed reinforcement and other people thoughts on everything to re-evaluate what I was doing. Everyone on this forum is awesome and I can actually go to sleep at a decent hour tonight now that I'm making some progress. And as far as the room, it's the big room, still the royer, uncovered on a V30. I'll bring the mesa cab upstairs soon and give that a whirl. I just am afraid of how bassy it is.