Who has made a guitar out of scratch?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
I'm finally getting around to making mine this year. It's based around a Jackson RR-5 I once had. Natural flame top + black hardware, from what I know it was a very rare color combo but that I've almost never seen.

Anyways here's a quick run down-
RR body- Alder w/ flame top
Neck thru neck- Maple w/ebony board, sharkfin inlays, 24 XL frets, tung oil
No neck binding (easier)
Black painted headstock
Locking nut
Original Floyd rose
Bucker in the bridge (warpig? 81? Evo? Blackouts?)
Single coil sized p90 in the neck
One volume that is push/pull for both
Small toggle switch
All black hardware

Not sure if I'm going to go pickgaurd or not. 3 years in the making/learning/designing about to come together hopefully. I've been told there's a badass wood working shop on the local Naval base that I have access to which I will probably do most of the fabrication.

damn...I wish I had the time and knowledge to do my own kickass guitar :)
keep us updated!

I would go for EMG 81, the blackouts are very good tho..very clean and noiseless, emg are more "noisy" (is that a word? :)) but much more evil, check out the unrest.....we used blackouts there see if you like it.

I havent really built my own guitar, but ive modified some guitars so that theres less than like 20% of the original left. :p
Buy a brassnut, it makes just as much difference to the sound of the guitar as a change of pickups. You get an amazing sustain and alot of "string" in the sound.
I think you should try to stay away from using a pickguard, it means alot more work when you want to fix something with the electronics, but on the other hand you will have to use a top on the guitar if you decide to not use one.

I have one.
My brother built it.
Black hardware original floyd rose, Full scallop, reverse headstock and a custom paint job he did in my basement with spray paint and tape.
Tasty guitar.

Not complete scratch, but everything except the body/neck(neck thru) is brand new.... Used to be a Ibanez MMM1, now it's a Wolfeman custom:kickass:

S4301437.jpg