Who has seen The Revenant?

I've seen it. It was a good film, although I wouldn't say it's my favorite film that he's been in. I also don't like how they released it in a limited release in December soley to allow it to be Oscar bait, then finally give it a larger release in January to actually make money. He's deserved an Oscar long before this though, so whatever. I doubt it will change things much for him though, since he's been a pretty high profile actor, and in demand for ages.

Well, shit. It was just the Golden Globe that he had won. I swore they mentioned him finally winning his "Oscar" all over TV, and that I also read it somewhere, but the award show isn't even until the end of February. Still kind of a big deal for him though I guess, since it was his first. Somehow Lady Gaga won one for best supporting actress with American Horror Story, which is fucking laughable. This season was total shit, and she didn't "act" as much as stand around in outlandish clothes.

Mr. Robot
won one for best TV drama too. Not sure how many of you have seen it, but it took everyone by surprise over the summer, especially because it was on USA of all channels, and they normally have nothing interesting to watch.

The show is kind of like a mix of Fight Club and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (although the original trilogy, not the Fincher remake).

Last edited:
It's one of those to watch over summer here...if you like utu world.

Check out maze runner films that's where it all begins for one prize!!!

The movie has 12 nominations, but there were a few other films that were nominated (and I think won in a few categories) that he was in, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything. All of those nominations are for different categories anyway.

It's almost like this year he's going to get one as a consolation prize for all of the other times he was nominated and lost. The Academy Awards are funny like that too. You can have an actor that is consistently better than pretty much everyone else they are put up against, but they just so happen to get nominated during a year where other actors are considered to have given a slightly better performance, even if they are usually simply good, but not great. Much of that comes down to screenplays and directing more than the actor too. Oh, and the movie has to be super serious and either a documentary or drama.

This year, Leonardo doesn't actually have much in the way of steep competition. Although it's going to be funny if he loses out to some stupid indie art film that only twenty people have seen.

Johnny Depp hasn't won one yet either, and I think he's just as deserving, even if he did end up slumming for a while. The guy can do pretty much anything, even though it usually comes with a quirky bent.

edit: Also, just realized Matt Damon was nominated as well. I actually wouldn't mind him winning either. He's always just been the "bigger" brother of Leonardo to me anyway. They are both great.

Last edited:
Well look at Scorsese. Denied so many times for some of the greatest movies ever made and he got one for The Aviator, which was nowhere near Raging Bull or GoodFellas, as a consolation prize. Really kills the value of the Oscars when they do that.

Leonardo DiCaprio won Best Actor - Drama at Sunday's Golden Globe Awards for his turn as frontiersman Hugh Glass in "The Revenant," directed by "Birdman" helmer Alejandro G. Iñárritu. The 40-year-old superstar will face far stiffer competition at the Oscars on Feb. 28. Here's who he'll likely be up against.

Eddie Redmayne for "The Danish Girl"

Redmayne, winner of best actor gong at the 2015 Academy Awards for his turn as Stephen Hawking in "The Theory of Everything," could very well pull off a repeat this year for his portrayal of transgender icon Lili Elbe in "The Danish Girl," directed by Tom Hooper.

Mark Ruffalo for "Spotlight"

Ruffalo shines as investigative reporter Michael Rezendes in this critically lauded, journalistic thriller. Ruffalo's a dark horse, but nonetheless deserves to be in the running.

Leonardo DiCaprio for "The Revenant"

Oft-snubbed DiCaprio is arguably the favorite to walk away from this year's Academy Awards with a golden statuette in hand. He put on a physical acting clinic in "The Revenant," and suffered during its shoot, not that that should matter, but it will.

Michael Fassbender for "Steve Jobs"

Fassbender won't win, but his portrayal of the world's most enigmatic tech guru was nonetheless impressive, and deserving of a nomination.

Matt Damon for "The Martian"

Damon will likely get a courtesy nod for "The Martian," in which he plays an astronaut stranded on Mars. Matt himself admits he doesn't deserve to win, however.

Predicted winner: Leonardo DiCaprio

If he wins this year, it will just show how totally RANDOM the Academy Awards are. As good of a movie as The Revenant might be, it wasn't his best film.

I was about a third of the way through it before work called me away yesterday. Now I'm just kinda hangin' until I can go back to the theater and try again. Definitely want to finish it.

Saw it this weekend. Fucking dark. Some really heavy duty scenes in there. It's worth watching if you can stand the violence and some scenes that will make you uncomfortable.

Remember that movie "The Grey" with Liam Neesen that was supposed to be an epic outdoor survival movie that turned out ultra lame and stupid? The Revenant is what that movie should have been.

Reactions: DreamNeonBlack
The director of The Revenant just made history. First director to win back to back Oscars. He won for "Birdman" last year.

History?

Two directors have managed the feat of winning back-to-back directing Oscars. They were John Ford (for THE GRAPES OF WRATH and HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY in the early 40's), and Joseph Mankiewicz for PEOPLE WILL TALK and ALL ABOUT EVE right around 1950.

Oh, and now that Leo finally won, about all it's going to get him is the right to ask for a little more money for whatever he does next. It's not like he actually needed it to get work.

I also completely agree with this article, regarding his "acting" in The Revenant. Yes, he should have already won an award by now, and he deserves it many times over. Just not for what he did in this particular movie. Tom Hardy essentially stole every scene that he was in.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/15/heres...caprio-shouldnt-win-for-the-revenant-5625259/

Last edited: