Who here plays Gibson guitars

Don't pray, put aside some money!!!

And I would not start out with a Gibson LP. Buy some nice Strat copy which is not too expensive and see how you get on with it.

I you have discovered that you are decently talented, there is still time enough to change to a better guitar. If it has to be a Gibson style guitar, buy an Epiphone. As you go along, change pickups. If you are still discontent (and able to discern about the difference), buy a Gibson.

Do not forget to buy a small amp first. Try and tweak. As you have learnt to play a bit, hang around in stores, try as many amps and guitars as you can.

It has cost me an awful lot of ill-spent money, time, frustration, to sum it up: EXPERIENCE to discover how each piece in the sound chain works and which amp provides "my" sound. The same with guitars. Took me a long time to discover that the Gibson LP is just right for my style of playing and the way I move my hands, whereas I have friends who just shudder at the thought of playing a Gibson.
The same with speaker cabinets! (BTW combo amps suck for metal...)

BTW: I HATE gold hardware/pickups...... Only my Ovation has got gold machine heads. Ovations look strange anyway.

And a GOTHIC with gold DiMarzios:ill:?!? There is a saying among my friends: "Taste means bandwidth.....":lol:

Edited for continuos idiotism...

i have 2 gibson les pauls

gibson les paul classic w/ burstbucker 2 neck position, 3 bridge position :worship:

gibson les paul gary moore w/ same pickups :Smokin:

i have owned many guitars over the years charvel san dimas van halen special,old usa dean v and usa made elite, fender strats, frankenstrats with floyds and many different pickup combo's, les paul studio's, standard's, and custom's, the gibson's hands down an awesome guitar for any style of music. metal music was born on gibson guitars and will continue to be a driving force in metal!!!!!!!!!!

Damn, this is an old thread. :)

I have 2 Jacksons, a DK-2 and an SL-3, The problem I have with Gibsons, and I've played on Les Paul customs before, is the feel of the neck, and for my particular taste, they are quite ugly. The SG models look better than the les pauls but they still don't cut it for me. I've played on 2 diffferent BC rich's and they were good, but I also don't like how they look. A lot of them look to big and nu-metal-ish for my taste. I prefer Jacksons for all aspects... I'd love to try a Caparison too but dont know where to get my hands on one.

My dad had a Gibson LP Studio and he just recently sold it, I could never play it, the neck is like holding a baseball bat, im very content with my ESPs, best guitars I have ever played, and everytime i play my friends guitars its just not that same as my ESPs

I agree with you! I play an ESP Eclipse (the same as Björn Gelotte of In Flames used, but with emg 60 at the neck side, if you see what I mean) and i think that I can stick with that guitar forever!! if ever I should have another guitar, either it's an ESP viper standard (black color only lol), either I build my own.

Another thing: once I'm satisfied by the sound of my guitar (I dont ask perfection) I am very strict about the guitar appearance. 80% of guitars and ESP's I wouldn't buy them because of their look. I want black color, chrome hardware, no gold, no big inlays, etc etc... if I don't have that, I cry.

Another thing, some of you seem to know about it. For my stage gear, I don't plan to buy any head, nope. I don't want to. So I thought about buying a rack guitar preamp and a peavey Classic 50/50 power amp. And plug that into an affordable but clear cab.

I realise that i don't want the big 5150 head. And my priority is not "the big sound" even if I play black metal. How would you rate this setting:

-ESP Eclipse (~1500€) that I already have
-Behringer AutoComPRO (~100€) I already have as well, keeps the ouput from being too "crispy" without having to mud the distortion
-Mesa Boogie V-Twin (~600€)
-Peavey Classic 50/50 (~800€)
-Laney TFX412A (~350€)

That makes me spend about 1800€, which is really the max that I would pay within a few years. What do you think?

All I have to say is:

avail_jfr111831.JPG

:D

Nick

I had a guitar that was the epitome of a Les Paul... sweet tone from heaven, fat neck and skinny frets, but as beautiful as she was, and as much of a sweet player she was, it wasn't my style so I sold her:

front_top_s.jpg

I exclusively play:

kvlogos.jpg

I wish I have a Gibson. The next guitar I plan to own is a Gibson guitar. All I have is a cheap Fender Squire Strat. :(

I've been using a Les Paul Studio, and not a thing can touch it. It's fantastic. As for basses, I've been using an Ibanez. But definetly I have to say that Gibson and Fender are the owning guitar companies. Many people are surprised to see that Carl from Nile plays a white strat! :)