Who is mastering here?? Interested in business relationship.

Erik Monsonis

Nov 18, 2006
Mexico City
www.darkhouseaudio.com
Hello!!

I know some of you are into mastering, but I'd like to know how many of you would be interested in having some of my mastering clients sent to them, as some of my clients want someone else to master the mixes.

They get easily attracted by big names in the mastering industry, so I'd like to know who else is doing mastering tasks.

If so, I'd like to know via PM some rates to give my clients when they ask me for other options.

Thank you very much!!
-Erik

Thanks guys (for the PMs)

@Ermz: Yeah, I already know about Plec hehe, I'm offering my clients to send him the stuff already, but I wanted to know some more people from this forum only. :p

We have to keep the business close together!

I seem to remember a few people on here saying they've had stuff mastered by Jens Bogren for non-astronomical prices (that of course being a relative term :D), and I know I love his recording/mixing work!

I seem to remember a few people on here saying they've had stuff mastered by Jens Bogren for non-astronomical prices (that of course being a relative term :D), and I know I love his recording/mixing work!

If I remember correctly someone said it was like 500-600 euros for mastering an album with Jens, I find that tempationally affordable (That words exists, I just invented it, fuck you). Of course mixing would be like 7 times that amount

I do quite a bit of mastering work. My typical rate is usually about $500 to 750/album after all is said and done, but for the Sneap community I offer $5 per recorded minute plus $5 per (DDP or redbook) disc mailed. The max length of a single CD album is 74 min which makes the max you'd pay would be $370/album plus how many discs you want.

I can keep my rates really low because I master out of a home suite, and I purposefully use a very minimalist setup of good equipment. That makes my overhead extremely low so I can pass that along to the client.

Hey guys, a band I'm recording/mixing wants their album mastered through "analog, preferably tube, gear" and as far as I know they are willing to pay 500-700 euro for 10 songs. However, they want to hear a sample of one of their songs mastered for cheap (or even free of charge) beforehand so that they can make their decision based on the quality of the product, not names and hype.

What i want to know is, do pros agree to do that kind of thing or should the band choose based on other criteria? Basically how do you choose who should master your tracks?

tempationally affordable (That words exists, I just invented it, fuck you). Of course mixing would be like 7 times that amount

Ya got that right dude! And "temptingly affordable" would have sufficed :D

You could have at least said "Temptationally" (if you're high or drunk right now, read - "Temptation-ally". But that wouldn't have prevented Marcus from correcting you. :heh:

Hey guys, a band I'm recording/mixing wants their album mastered through "analog, preferably tube, gear" and as far as I know they are willing to pay 500-700 euro for 10 songs. However, they want to hear a sample of one of their songs mastered for cheap (or even free of charge) beforehand so that they can make their decision based on the quality of the product, not names and hype.

What i want to know is, do pros agree to do that kind of thing or should the band choose based on other criteria? Basically how do you choose who should master your tracks?

Listen to sound samples of previous work and footnotes of each sample if they provide them. Before and after samples help the most obviously. Honestly, forget focusing on gear, if there are tubes, and hype. The end result is what matters to you ultimately.

Yeah before/after clips help but as far as just listening to previous works... I don't know, the mix is pretty crucial for the outcome so judging a mastered track out of context isn't that useful, IMO.

Yeah before/after clips help but as far as just listening to previous works... I don't know, the mix is pretty crucial for the outcome so judging a mastered track out of context isn't that useful, IMO.

SW, I'm sorry for some reason I forgot to retort to that part of your question. And I say at this point, there are some pro's who will do a sample of the mix at hand and some who won't. Personally if I sense somebody is not really serious to do business I probally won't. But fortunately it's been ok and for the most part I've been doing samples for clients.

What I believe should be the right process is a potential client thoroughly listening to previous works "before/after" clips, studying the background of the ME, and then finally if they are serious in considering to commit to that ME, request to see that a free sample would be performed.

^ Sounds fair enough. I'll advise the band to do that and of course I'll help them since it's my mixes we're talking about. Thanks :)