Who knows a bit about Kant?

Seditious

GodSlayer
Jul 26, 2005
New Zealand
I just have one question - why does Kant believe we have a duty to perfect ourselves?

I'm googling around trying to find out but no luck so far

Universal law to me implies certain rights. If you go against the rights of others (or yourself), you would be going against the law itself and thus, your actions would be unjust and immoral.

I really don't know though, maybe ask your teacher? :)

Because people would be better at carrying out their duties the closer to perfect they were? I disliked Kant though and never paid any attention when we studied him.

Anybody wanna take a pop at this?

I'm actually interested. I appreciate Kant a great deal (a collegue is very much involved in his philosophy) but I've never been able to force my way through any of his writing. It always seems so dry and witless.

judas69 said:
Universal law to me implies certain rights. If you go against the rights of others (or yourself), you would be going against the law itself and thus, your actions would be unjust and immoral.

I really don't know though, maybe ask your teacher? :)

I haven't been able to find out what his argument is though for why we should be expected not to do against the law though. and I don't have a teacher.

Justin S. said:
Read Kant, and then youll understand why, or why your question was not well formulated.

he wrote quite a lot. I only need this one question answered and considering I can't find anything online explaining his argument for that (only his arguments for what come from that) I don't really want to read everything else he wrote which I already disagree with

I just found this, and I can only hope it's not accurate because of its absurdity, but then again, it seems to fit with all the other stuff I know of him which I disagree, and this is really the lynch pin in his philosophy so I need to be sure I get an accurate explanation.

Kant illustrates that a maxim that is universal law without one who will act rationally is a contradiction in the will (bad). Becuase of this, as previously stated many times, "we have an imperfect duty to improve ourselves". Kant demonstrates that we must first improve ourselves in order to avoid imperfect duties. If we do not, we abandon universal law and even God himself. Because we must imrove ourselves in order to aid (and subsequently improve) others, Kant exemplifies that it is our duty to impove ourselves in order that we may improve everyone. - http://gracchus.typepad.com/gracchus/2005/10/phil_105_discus_2.html

Seditious said:
I just have one question - why does Kant believe we have a duty to perfect ourselves?

I'm googling around trying to find out but no luck so far

I Kant say I have the answer to that...

well, I've been told what I'm looking for is in Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Morals (example 3), and only better explained in his lectures on ethics.

*gets to the reading* :)

Seditious said:
I just found this, and I can only hope it's not accurate because of its absurdity, but then again, it seems to fit with all the other stuff I know of him which I disagree, and this is really the lynch pin in his philosophy so I need to be sure I get an accurate explanation.

Kant illustrates that a maxim that is universal law without one who will act rationally is a contradiction in the will (bad). Becuase of this, as previously stated many times, "we have an imperfect duty to improve ourselves". Kant demonstrates that we must first improve ourselves in order to avoid imperfect duties. If we do not, we abandon universal law and even God himself. Because we must imrove ourselves in order to aid (and subsequently improve) others, Kant exemplifies that it is our duty to impove ourselves in order that we may improve everyone. - http://gracchus.typepad.com/gracchus/2005/10/phil_105_discus_2.html

I've not read Kant. I surely hope the synopsis above does not accurately reflect anything he actually postulated or I shall not endeavor to do so. What saccharine, humanitarian piffle...sounds like Dr. Phil. Surely Kant's work is more substantive than this.