Who Plays The Solo In "Epilogue?"

A long solo is usually more than one solo put together. If you know who does some of them, you can kind of pick out their styles. A lot of songs have one from each of them.

Epilogue is difficult though. The song's whole point is the lead melodies, so it's hard to tell just what is a solo and what's not.

it was all Mikael...If you hear that tapping lick, its almost the same tapping lick Mike does in his solo in Forest of October, as well as some on the new album. Peter doesnt tap on any of his solos, it isnt his style. Also, being that most of that solo is just a strong pretty melody, Mike writes all the melodies in Opeth. 90% probability its Mike playing it all, and Peter strumming those background chords.

I'm taking it that Mikael is playing the majority of it, as it sounds in his 'style'. As Thorns mentioned that tapping lick is almost identical to that one from Forest of October which he plays, so I definately know that section is by him at least.

Actually, Peter does some tapping on the Forest Of October solo, but I don't know about any others.

Not really, despite him doing some tapping (not 100% sure if he does, can't recall correctly) we would still hear his style of solos and most likely that trademark tone that he gets out of his guitars... the tone and style of soloing very much sounds like Mikael, so I sit by my claim.

It's when you hold down a note, but instead of picking or fingering it you kinda tap down near the higher frets and 'flick' the string, so it hits that high note and comes down to the one you're holding... it's a pretty common solo technique coz it can give the impression of speed.

Originally posted by Thorns of Sorrow
it was all Mikael...If you hear that tapping lick, its almost the same tapping lick Mike does in his solo in Forest of October, as well as some on the new album. Peter doesnt tap on any of his solos, it isnt his style. Also, being that most of that solo is just a strong pretty melody, Mike writes all the melodies in Opeth. 90% probability its Mike playing it all, and Peter strumming those background chords.

I would have to agree. Mike does do a lot of tapping, well not a lot, but more than Peter does. Nice sig man. Eklundh is a guitar GOD!

I think i can detect a change of soloist when the guitar goes into that mellow octave lead part.

As a guess based on how they've worked on other songs, I'd say they each took one. Maybe.. Mike on the first, and Peter on the second (after the break up to the harmonized end). That could be completely wrong too.