Who thinks Testament should use Travis Smith for their new album cover??

Should Testament have Travis Smith do the artwork for their upcoming album?

• Yes

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

MindInsane

From the vastly deep
Jun 17, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I was thinking it would be pretty cool if Testament had Travis do the artwork for their upcoming album. This could open the doors for new Testament fans because Travis has a HUGE following. The guy does some amazing stuff. For those of you who aren't familiar with Travis' work check out seempieces.com He's done album covers for Opeth, Katatonia, and Death to name a few.

What do you guys think about this?

He has some cool material but...nah, that would just be beating a dead horse. Would be cool if they had a contest for it tho:lol:

They would get a lot of interesting drawings I bet:lol:

LMAO!! @ DE....smart ass:)

I wonder does cover art sell records? If Travis Smith does do the art- he is the guy that does all that cheesy power metal stuff right- well god help us with a cheesy testament cd cover.

I think you're thinking of Andre Marshall (sp?). He does the artwork for HammerFall, Blind Guardian, InFlames, etc. I think he is also wicked good. I'm envious:lol:

Originally posted by speed
I wonder does cover art sell records? If Travis Smith does do the art- he is the guy that does all that cheesy power metal stuff right- well god help us with a cheesy testament cd cover.

Well speed...obviously you don't know who he is, or you've only seen the power metal covers. When he does the covers he listens to what the bands want and does it. Cheesey album covers are done for cheesey power metal because thats what the bands want. I highly doubt that Testament would want a cheesey power metal cover. Look at the website before you base on it please.

As far as the cover art attracting people...I will definitely at least pick up an album and look at it if it's got killer artwork..and most of the bands Travis works with are great bands...so you never know...

In case you haven't noticed..Travis has a forum here on Ultimate Metal...his fans are pretty hard core and tend to show interest and ask about bands he is doing covers for.

That could be cool if he did the cover art for TestAmenT:)
I don't buy music for the cover art, but I do like it if it looks good, like the cover art for Sepultura is awesome, especially Beneath The Remains. I think that could be my favorite album cover:D

Originally Posted By MindInsane:".......obviously you don't know who he is, or you've only seen the power metal covers. When he does the covers he listens to what the bands want and does it. Cheesey album covers are done for cheesey power metal because thats what the bands want. I highly doubt that Testament would want a cheesey power metal cover. Look at the website before you base on it please.

As far as the cover art attracting people...I will definitely at least pick up an album and look at it if it's got killer artwork..and most of the bands Travis works with are great bands...so you never know...

In case you haven't noticed..Travis has a forum here on Ultimate Metal...his fans are pretty hard core and tend to show interest and ask about bands he is doing covers for."

Well said..................................................:worship:

I know who Travis Smith is, he did the Iron Maiden covers right- and Iced Earth. Still I would prefer a cover like the new Dark Tranquility, or Soilwork - rather modern looking minimalstic - Personally I never liked the comic book looking stuff. Just my opinion though.

Still i think the big question is, does the album cover sell records?

No I don't think so. I don't buy it for the cover, but sometimes, there are covers that call your attention....

But It would rock if travis do it........It's good music with a good cover, perfect :)

And yes, MindInsane said everything
icon14.gif

Originally posted by speed
I know who Travis Smith is, he did the Iron Maiden covers right- and Iced Earth. Still I would prefer a cover like the new Dark Tranquility, or Soilwork - rather modern looking minimalstic - Personally I never liked the comic book looking stuff. Just my opinion though.

Still i think the big question is, does the album cover sell records?

Well speed...Travis did do the new Soilwork...That's why I keep telling you to look at his gallery...

Originally Posted By MindInsane:"Well speed...Travis did do the new Soilwork...That's why I keep telling you to look at his gallery...

:Shedevil: Touche'

well I stand corrected, I shouldnt get involved in arguments in which i have a limited knowledge of the subject- I just assumed travis smith was a power metal artist- sorry

That's far from an argument, but thats why I think she said to check it out yourself, there's something for everyone in their, from animated cartoon types, to modern digital creations. It shows all his album covers, from a huge number of bands who have used him, alot numerous times(that says something), as well as a totally diverse style.
I for one don't let the artwork, do the talking, the music is what most are after, but when you have a killer album shot, combined with quality music, or a band that your really into, then it's a plus, it just does'nt get any better.
In fact I had no idea he did that many projects & bands artwork, until I checked it out. Then I was like, this guys a Creative Genius.
Also I noticed alot of covers, I really liked before, but had no clue who did them. I learn things daily right here from this board & it's
members, who share their all around knowledge with everyone.