Who was the first to incorporate clean/growling vocals into their music?

Originally posted by my dying groom
Um...perhaps Celtic Frost? :confused:

That is exactly what i was thinking before i got to your post...so we win:p ..for now. Of course Hellhammer was first:confused: :err: ...and then there is Bathory....well shit i guess i am not sure:loco:

Of course Celtic Frost was the first one to use growling vocals (well Hellhammer actually) but who was the first to use the clean/growling combo? Celtic Frost on Cold Lake?

The first mix of the 2 vocals I've heard, and they were Damn Good, were in Amorphis' Into Hiding, from Tales from the 1000 Lakes(1994).

The most of the vocal combinations in black/gothic came after this, it sounded soooo good.

we are talking about when was the album relased or when the band started? if if the first one i do not know if is the second one mantas had a demo in 84 what means they could have been playing since what 82 or 83? wich will put death ( mantas back then ) and sodom pretty damn close and quite honestly early death sounded more like growling than sodom.

i think if you are searching for an exact year this can only be attached to the release of a particular album. maybe beethoven used growls in his compositions... who knows :lol: but he didn't ever get a record deal for them...

what a silly post-beg my pardon

:D

;)

but how else would you measure it? i mean my band "exists" since seven years but all we made so far is crap.
it's sometimes hard to tell when exactly bands have formed... i don't know our founding date... so when it comes to a certain date, the most acurate choice would be relying on some release date... that's what i wanted to say. of course they may have used the style way before... but it's hard to find out...

The BAthory Demos have growling on them , and they are from 1982-83...from the story I've heard, his PA was blown, and distorted his thrash-like yelling...he liked the sound so much, he started imitating it by growling...I'd say they were the first, and definitely the first to step down the path of what we call "extreme metal" today, followed closely by Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, etc.

As for clean/growl, if you count thrash vox as clean, then Testament did it in the 80's...there's a growl or two on New Order ('88) and more than enough on Practice what you Preach ('89)