Whos better Alex Skolnick or James Murphy?

Who is better Alex Skolnick or James Murphy?

• Alex Skolnick

Votes: 43 70.5%
  • James Murphy

Votes: 18 29.5%

• Total voters
I love James Murphy style - I can quote Metal Mike on James' solos "he just slides with his notes thruogh the chords like some kind of a snake"

I love his work on Low...

...but still Skolnick is the man number one for the job in Testament IMO

James playing Alex solos on Live@Fillmore better than Skolnick had ever had?
No.

In fact James did well with Skolnick solos on this disc but:
- I really can't hear he was better, and the fact is (as in mentioned above "into the pit") he made a mistake.
- he just played note by note what Alex invented - not a note of improvisation - Smyth easily beats him during live performances IMO.
- just check Live in London and then think over what you wrote Tyler

Skolnick now is a GOD, what he does with the guitar is unbelievable, He is the only one in metal that can fight a guitar battle with Nevermore duo nowadays IMO,

soulflypl said:
I love James Murphy style - I can quote Metal Mike on James' solos "he just slides with his notes thruogh the chords like some kind of a snake"

I love his work on Low...

...but still Skolnick is the man number one for the job in Testament IMO

James playing Alex solos on Live@Fillmore better than Skolnick had ever had?
No.

In fact James did well with Skolnick solos on this disc but:
- I really can't hear he was better, and the fact is (as in mentioned above "into the pit") he made a mistake.
- he just played note by note what Alex invented - not a note of improvisation - Smyth easily beats him during live performances IMO.
- just check Live in London and then think over what you wrote Tyler

Skolnick now is a GOD, what he does with the guitar is unbelievable, He is the only one in metal that can fight a guitar battle with Nevermore duo nowadays IMO,

Oh... I'm so sorry to have an individual opinion... How ignorant and obtuse of me to think I'm fucking entitled to Freedom Of Thought! You mean to say I HAVE to have EXACTLY the same opinion as you & Harmonicminor1210? Since when did both your word become the fucking law? Fuck Off!!!

Oh... James made a mistake... James made a mistake... heavens above, he made a mistake... what SHALL we do now?!?! I've yet to see a guitarist perform on stage and NOT make a fucking mistake!!! If you seriously think that Skolnick or any other guitarist is 'above' making the occasional mistake live - then you're either sadly deluded, or in total fanboi denial...

I've been lucky enough to see Testament perform several times live, and the 3 times I saw them with Steve Smyth, he totally BUTCHERED Skolnicks solo's so badly it was enough to induce projectile vomitus. The times I've saw them with James Murphy, he nailed the solo's spot on 99% of the performance & played like a fucking demon! Why the fuck should James improvise the solos? What ain't broke - don't need fixed! He played them with fluid accuracy & THAT is what matters! I've seen the band 3 times with Skolnick & even he butchers his own solo's on occasion.

...and will you two STFU about Live @ London!!! You're preaching to the fucking converted... considering during that very performance I was 4ft in front of Skolnick during the entire show, experiencing it ALL first hand & not through a fucking DVD...

Let's get this shit straight before it causes any more carnage.

ALEX SKOLNICK IS A FUCKING CLASS GUITARIST!!! I have COMPLETE respect for his work in Testament and his ability as a fretboard magician.

I chose James because I'm entitled to my fucking preference. If you don't like it? TOUGH SHIT - YOU deal with it...