Who's going to SLAYER / ARCH ENEMY?

Whole bunch of us going tomorrow night (Gugs, lurch70, and several non-UM'ers)....I can hear the Raining Blood intro with Lombardo's drums in my head...

I can hear the Raining Blood intro with Lombardo's drums in my head...
lol ...

Dusted off my copy of Show No Mercy last night also ... since they are playing Fight 'till Death .. need to freshen up on the lyrics ... lol

We still do not have tickets and no confirmation from 2 of my friends but 3 of us are definetelly going .. so will see you at the bar Sir Jay.

If you can score some way to get backstage tomorrow, my whole CD collection is yours dude. I will not need it anymore and you can kill me if I can meet Araya and Lombardo.

The world's biggest Slayer Fanboy!

lurch70 said:
If you can score some way to get backstage tomorrow, my whole CD collection is yours dude. I will not need it anymore and you can kill me if I can meet Araya and Lombardo.
Heh, I'll see what I can do.

I'll be like "Oi Lombardo - you fat bastard! Get us backstage NOW".

That should work a treat. :cool:

Damn that was quick, didn't you just discover them a week ago or so? Which others did you pick up?

I've had them for a little over a month now. I have Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, and Seasons in the Abyss.

I don't understand the big shit about Reign in Blood.

I respect it a lot more than I like it, simply a stepping stone to what they would later acheive. Hell Awaits sucks except the title track. South of Heaven is probably their most underrated, I love that one.

I'll be like "Oi Lombardo - you fat bastard! Get us backstage NOW".
He did put on some poundage .. going by the Jagermeister ad pics in this months Rolling Stone

All I can tell you is that after almost 20 years since it's release (damn i feel old) ... this is the only record (by any band) that still gives me goosebumps when I listen to it. Again ... you had to be there when it was released, otherwise you just cannot get it.

Hell Awaits sucks except the title track.
Blasphemy o_O

Hm. I still think Reign in Blood is one hell of an album even if I only bought it a couple of years ago or so. Sure, brutality-wise it pales compared to newer stuff but the songs & riffs are still fucking great.

Dreamlord said:
Aha! The trick is in having to put the CD into your CD player and pushing the "play" button. The rest is pure magic.

You realize they're playing this in their entirety on the current tour right? I think it's well established by now that this is one of the greatest albums in history.

well thanks to the fuckign around of 2 of my friends, we did not get tickets in advance (don't ask) ... and now the show shows as SOLD OUT on both Ticketmaster and Roseland websites.

Will head down anyway and try to get some off the street or some no-shows at the box office ... worse comes to worse will have to beat up some young-un with some wuss t-shirt .. lol

This really blows ...

lurch70 said:
well thanks to the fuckign around of 2 of my friends, we did not get tickets in advance (don't ask) ... and now the show shows as SOLD OUT on both Ticketmaster and Roseland websites.

Will head down anyway and try to get some off the street or some no-shows at the box office ... worse comes to worse will have to beat up some young-un with some wuss t-shirt .. lol

This really blows ...
FUCK! I'll try to contact Century Media and see if I can get in via guest passes - the only thing is, they're not going to be checking e-mail or working on a Saturday. And it's near impossible to get guest passes for a sold out show.

I 'll at least try - that way, if I can get in via guest passes with Mark, you can buy our two tickets....keep you posted.

Thanks Jay for your efforts, but as you know by now I was able to get in. Missed all the bands except of course Slayer (but don't give a shit) ... and it was worth the time siting outside for 1 1/2 hours trying to make deals for tix. :)

FUUCCCCKKKK! What a show!

Here is the setlist as far as I remember:

Disciple
War Ensamble
At Dawn they Sleep
Necrophiliac ( I nearly shit my pants when I heard this )
Dead Skin Mask
Payback
Stain of Shit
Fight 'till Death
South of Heaven
Mandatory Sucide
Some newer shit track :)
Hell Awaits
And the ENTIRE Reign in Blood disc (in sequence) !!!

Things I liked about the show:
- Pure old school!!! Newbies were just stareing bored for 80% of the time not knowing what the hell was going on. I think especially during Necrophiliac this was really evident... i loved it!
- The entire REIGN IN BLOOD ... no fuckign encores, no excuses, no song intros ... you either knew it or you didn't. No bullshit!
- At the end when the band was saying their goodbyes, Lombardo is at the edge of the stage in front of a monitor throwing sticks. Kerry King comes from backstage and pushes him aside to get on top of the monitor to be ... well ... the King Dick. Dave gestures from behind like he is about to push him into the crowd. The crowd roars ... Kerry is clueless. Classic Slayer moment, that you would on;y get if you knew the bad blood and history behind King/Lombardo.

Things that sucked:
- The crowd ... who are these people? This was a Slayer show, besides a few songs the crowd was very ... hmm ... mature. Maybe they were burned from the opening bands. Not sure ... but lame ass crowd. Again I think 80% had no clue about most of the songs. Reign in Blood in sequence had a few people scratching their heads for sure ... I saw them.

Come hell or high water I had to get in ... as I was telling my friend it was like if Zeppelin was playing IV in entirety live ... you just had to be there. Slayer is my generations Zeppelin and I feel like I witnessed history.

SLAAAAYYYYEERRR !!!! Excuse me while I go take a cold shower ... :D

Jay what was your take on the show? How was Arch Enemy and Hatebreed (I never ever heard a Hatebreed song)?

lurch70 said:
Disciple
War Ensamble
Insert "God Hates Us All" inbetween those two.

Newbies were just stareing bored for 80% of the time not knowing what the hell was going on.....

.....Things that sucked:
- The crowd ... who are these people?
Jay what was your take on the show?
HATEBREED are complete UTTER tripe. Seriously, no excuses or room for giving them a chance here - they should NOT have been on this bill. What music is this, and why is it invading my metal space? They were worse than any 'nuMetal' band I've ever heard. All of them wearing baseball caps (sideways) and jumping up and down to the beat. Remember that song "Break Stuff" by Limp Bizkit? That's what Hatebreed sound like (minus scratching records). I've never seen so many bored faces.

Three Hatebreed fans were carried out of the gig - each one of them had broken noses. I kid thee not, all three had blood pouring out of their noses. Worse still, they were all wearing "Drowning Pool" and "Slipknot" shirts. All of them with shaved fucking heads and hoodies, and baggy mallcore pants.

They had absolutely no clue what to do when Slayer erupted. Quite honestly, what would you expect from Slipknot fans during songs like "Fight 'till Death" or "Jesus Saves"?

Heh, that reminds me - I liked Kerry King's shirt: "JESUS SLAVES".

How was Arch Enemy and Hatebreed (I never ever heard a Hatebreed song)?
Arch Enemy did an excellent job - Sharlee D'Angelo just towered in front of the audience - but they had horrible sound. It was all a bit fuzzy sounding. Dead Eyes See No Future is an anthem now. It raised the roof. We Will Rise is soooo much heavier live than it is on the record, and of course the place went nuts for Ravenous.

Slayer are demonic. Their backfrop of that church covered in graffitti of 666 and God Hates Us All was astounding. Kind of weird how they broke off just after "Angel of Death" and waited a few minuted before launching into "Piece by Piece" (thought they'd left for a second!), but Reign in Blood in its entirety is something I'll never forget. Note for note perfect. It's one of those things that will only happen once in your lifetime for sure.

Three Hatebreed fans were carried out of the gig - each one of them had broken noses. I kid thee not, all three had blood pouring out of their noses. Worse still, they were all wearing "Drowning Pool" and "Slipknot" shirts. All of them with shaved fucking heads and hoodies, and baggy mallcore pants.
I would have paid extra to see that :)

Sharlee D'Angelo just towered in front of the audience
He came out and was standing next to us by the side for a few Slayer songs ... he went completely ballistic headbanging during Mandatory Suicide ... Some fag bald headed nu kids that recognized him started touching his hair, like "is this real?" kind of shit ... that was really odd. He is a big dude, and looked like he was going to pummel them. I wish he would have ... lol

lurch70 said:
lol ... there is no such song as God Hates Us All .. that is DISCIPLE

:lol: Seriously, I don't even own that album, but I really liked the song. It's an honest mistake because, in my defence, they do sing the line "God Hates Us All" right? See - I was listening very closely. :)

Seriously, I don't even own that album, but I really liked the song. It's an honest mistake because, in my defence, they do sing the line "God Hates Us All" right? See - I was listening very closely.
I don't have that record either, but that is one song i actually like ... actually you should get bonus points for not knowing about the newer stuff ... lol

And yes ... he does yell "God Hates Us All" in Disciple.

[QUOTE=lurch70]I would have paid extra to see that[/quote]

Heh, at one point we were caught between three mosh pits. One of the guys with us, Barry, is 6ft 3" and 290lb - he started one of those pits. That adrenaline rush of being on the outskirt of a pit is pretty cool, I have to admit. Especially when Tom Araya's in the background screaming his lungs out...you get pretty aggressive. The pits at Opeth are so 'gentle' in comparison.

So when these bald headed twats had decided that they got bored through not knowing the songs, they jumped into the pits with their legs kicking and their arms doing that "windmill" thing, you know? It looks like a handicapped person trying to swim. Anyway, the Slayer fans went ballistic and started punching and kicking them (instead of just swinging or pushing them back into the pits). I swear, I saw elbows flying into faces.

There were also fuckers on the top balcony chucking beer cups and LIT cigarrette stubs over the side on top of us. I got half a cup of beer over me, LMAO, but it got the crowd pretty pissed off so they were chucking shit back up at the balcony.

Gotta love New Yorkers. :cool: