Why are guitar strings tuned like that?

Brimstone

Dec 17, 2001
Medellin, Colombia, South America
I knwo it is the accepted standard, but my question is why was it developed like that?

I mean why if every string is tuned to the 3rd note higher than the string above it, the 2nd string (B) is tuned to 2nd note above the 3rd (G) instead of being C as the sequence would suggest?

If the answer is so chords can be made, why wouldn't be made with a C on the 2nd and an F in the 1st?

Brimstone said:
I knwo it is the accepted standard, but my question is why was it developed like that?

It is "standard" tuning, but there are different tunings for different styles of music and individual players. Slide players will often tune in chords such as Emaj or Emin. Metal guitarists often tune down to Eb (flat) D or even lower. The idea behind the standard tuning is that it allows open chords employing all six strings for depth and barre chords to be played relatively easily.

Bryant

Bryant sounds about right...I know that guitar tuning came from Lute tuning. To make the instrument more flexible with the advent of modern tuning of other instruments, tuning guitar in 4ths(excpet the B, which is tuned a major 3rd from G), did allow the use of all strings in open chords, and allowed the player to use many more chord voicings in classical music.

Then as other styles of music refined(blues slide playing, etc)..new tunings where developed to change the sound to what is needed.

Would be a good topic to hit a llibrary or ask a music professor.

Anyone that does any recording with an acoustic can also try "high stringing an acoustic to add depth. replace the low E with the high E and tune to high E. Replace the A string with a B and tune to the A one step below the normal B string. Replace the D string with a high E and tune down to D on step below the high E. I know The Eagles use to use this technique for adding depth to their acoustic work.

Bryant

I simply tune everything "straight away", that is, fifth fret on low E + open on the next string, all the way to the top. I'm self taught and that's how I learned and that's what makes sense to me. I think the "standard" tuning should be an alternate tuning. It's only a slight difference between the two of course but I only say it would be better as an alternate because then the standard wouldn't be "crooked" (the way I do it, anything can be power chorded, etc, which seems more right to me then the average tuning). It simply makes more sense mathematically speaking - not that I like math but I've found playing guitar to be oddly mathematical at times, especially when it comes to knowing your fretboard and improvising. I'll be surprised if this makes sense to anyone though :erk:

Bryant-
That Tuning is called "nashville tuning".Pink floyd uses that tuning for some stuff too.
IT was first used by removing the low strings of a 12 string acoustic.
Yah..it can reallllly add some depth!

Orion Crystal Ice said:
I simply tune everything "straight away", that is, fifth fret on low E + open on the next string, all the way to the top. I'm self taught and that's how I learned and that's what makes sense to me. I think the "standard" tuning should be an alternate tuning. It's only a slight difference between the two of course but I only say it would be better as an alternate because then the standard wouldn't be "crooked" (the way I do it, anything can be power chorded, etc, which seems more right to me then the average tuning). It simply makes more sense mathematically speaking - not that I like math but I've found playing guitar to be oddly mathematical at times, especially when it comes to knowing your fretboard and improvising. I'll be surprised if this makes sense to anyone though :erk:

This makes sense if you start with an electric right away and play mostly powerchords or lead guitar parts... as soon as you want to include chords that go over all six strings you probably get into trouble (haven't tried it though, it even might work somehow!?)

But I think most people somehow start with screwing around on an acoustic guitar, so they want to learn some chords, and therefore naturally learn to use standard tuning.
I'm self-taught too, but I learned to tune my guitar to standard tuning on the first day of playing... long live the internet guitar sites. :)