Why are rednecks only in the US?

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Ok, I live in a pretty rural place here, but still there are no rednecks or backwards people like there are where I'm from in the south.

*I'M NOT SAYING EVERYONE FROM THE SOUTH IS A REDNECK!*

I was just wondering the other day because where I live in Italy is pretty isolated and small; although Venice and Udine and Trieste are all about an hour to an hour and a half away, I really haven't found anyone who is a blithering idiot like some of the people I know back home.

Seriously, is it an education thing? Is it a cultural thing? Please don't even mention some bullshit like, "they're all inbred" or something like that because 100 years ago there were people all over the world in poor communities who were inbred. In fact, in the late 1700's here, there was what was thought to be an epidemic of demonic possession here. When the state came to investigate, they realized that the girls were suffering from dementia and had gone crazy. Some of them were inbred and suffering from gonorrhea to the point it had made them crazy, some of them had like 5 kids by the time they were 16, and the church labeled it as demonic possession so they could control the masses. Basically, they were so poor they were stupid.

So, again, why are rednecks mainly categorized as southern Americans when we live in the 21st century and why haven't we taken a step out of that?

ahahaha no no, i have a lot of friends from southern italy, and they don't belong to that category, i mean... maybe you're lucky to live in a place without this kind of people but look at the padania, we had rednecks in our past government, like borghezio and bossi :p

Yeah, but not the same kind. They were just morons. A redneck is a person who is of very low culture, of very low education, extremely racist, and is proud of that fact. The politicians here may be all of these, but they hide behind lies. A redneck lets everyone know he/she is a redneck. Politicians are just stupid.

Let's look at Fini. Everyone knows he's a fascist, yet he hides behind public speeches and bullshit like going to visit mosques when everyone knows he's a racist fuck. What you're talking about is a little different than the environment I grew up in. It's close, but they are just more closed-minded than simply a redneck.

I have friends...good friends who are rednecks. I respect them and they respect me...but they're still rednecks. Some people in my family are rednecks. I'm not saying they're bad people...they're just rednecks.

Ok, I live in a pretty rural place here, but still there are no rednecks or backwards people like there are where I'm from in the south.

*I'M NOT SAYING EVERYONE FROM THE SOUTH IS A REDNECK!*

I was just wondering the other day because where I live in Italy is pretty isolated and small; although Venice and Udine and Trieste are all about an hour to an hour and a half away, I really haven't found anyone who is a blithering idiot like some of the people I know back home.

Seriously, is it an education thing? Is it a cultural thing? Please don't even mention some bullshit like, "they're all inbred" or something like that because 100 years ago there were people all over the world in poor communities who were inbred. In fact, in the late 1700's here, there was what was thought to be an epidemic of demonic possession here. When the state came to investigate, they realized that the girls were suffering from dementia and had gone crazy. Some of them were inbred and suffering from gonorrhea to the point it had made them crazy, some of them had like 5 kids by the time they were 16, and the church labeled it as demonic possession so they could control the masses. Basically, they were so poor they were stupid.

So, again, why are rednecks mainly categorized as southern Americans when we live in the 21st century and why haven't we taken a step out of that?

WOW, I can not believe this comes from YOU, chris, mister world traveller!
haha.

First of all: define Redneck? no teeth? over patriotic? hates everyone that is not like himself? bible humper? a hick? a farmer? over violent?
sits in bars all day and drinks bud?

are you kidding???? that is not a US novelty.
I have met some pretty serious rednecks in Germany, Holland, Belgium, oh you name it... Rednecks are everywhere.. it's just the term "redneck" belongs to the people from here....

Yeah, but not the same kind. They were just morons. A redneck is a person who is of very low culture, of very low education, extremely racist, and is proud of that fact. The politicians here may be all of these, but they hide behind lies. A redneck lets everyone know he/she is a redneck. Politicians are just stupid.

Let's look at Fini. Everyone knows he's a fascist, yet he hides behind public speeches and bullshit like going to visit mosques when everyone knows he's a racist fuck. What you're talking about is a little different than the environment I grew up in. It's close, but they are just more closed-minded than simply a redneck.

I have friends...good friends who are rednecks. I respect them and they respect me...but they're still rednecks. Some people in my family are rednecks. I'm not saying they're bad people...they're just rednecks.

I think the USA just has A LOT OF THEM, but honestly... I have met some SERIOUS rednecks in Europe... Ireland is another example...
boy do they have rednecks there... :rolleyes:

Right, that's kinda what I'm saying. Why did it originate in the US? Of course, there are those types of people all over the world, but when you think redneck, or the type of person like a redneck, why is it associated with the US?

However, I still hold firm to my belief that other cultures who have "rednecks" are just undereducated people of low culture. I guess I see a difference because I grew up around real rednecks. Maybe to me and me only there is a difference.

I met a Roman girl once who thought Belgium was in Canada.

She wasn't a redneck, she was just an idiot...and that's kinda where I draw the line. Most people who say rednecks are simply lowly educated people with little to no culture are wrong, IMO. They are just that: lowly educated people with little to no culture. For me, a redneck is an entirely different animal. They are that to the umpteenth power.

^ so you're saying Holland, Germany and Ireland and low cultured places with un-educated people? :p

Renecks are evetywhere, it is associated with the US, because, guess what?
the US is bigger, and its pop culture is EVERYWHERE.
So it's easy to see rednecks from here on TV, and that way people assiciate it with the USA.
Plus, it's a bigger country, so relitavely, there are more rednecks here.

As for Italy: I think Italy and France will have to be an exception when it comes to that, since those 2 countries are SO full of culture that is so rich and huge, and influence EVERY culture in the world, 99% of the people: will not fall under the definition of redneck.

Bah, maybe you're right. I think everyone's got a little bit of redneck in them, though. I know I do. But just enough not to contaminate the rest of me, :lol:

And that's the difference between a southern accent and a redneck accent. My grandmother had a southern accent; it sounds almost english. Meanwhile, my cousin has a redneck accent that sounds like Larry the Cable Guy.

On the subject of languages, many people have stereotyped Italians as horrible English speakers. However, I've found that they are some of the better in Europe, at least in this part of Italy. I've always thought the French spoke English very well, they just chose not to, hehe, but it doesn't seem that's always the case, either. Our cousins who live in Paris, mind you, not some small village in the middle of nowhere, speak no English whatsoever. They are half Italian, half French, but speak less Italian than I do. Just French. I was quite surprised. I'm starting to see a trend with the rest of Europe's young people; many of them are foregoing learning English, while the Italian young people are all over it. We may have a linguistic revolution on our hands, hehe.

Of course, German and Dutch people are great English speakers, and I don't think that will ever change.