Why are there harmonics everywhere in my DI track ?!

Vulcain

Black Metal
Sep 1, 2010
France
www.aldaaron.fr
Hello,

I've just finished recording some guitar parts of the next album of my band and I tried to reamp it for a little check...and it sound horrible, with harmonics everywhere.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11383191/New1-testreamp .mp3

This is the raw sound of the reamped DI, no plug-ins / effects.

More details: I tracked my guitar (EMG81 pickups) directly into my soundcard (Focusrite Saffire Pro 24), paid attention to staying under -14db peak.

Does someone know where it might come from?

Sorry, but that just didn't make any sense.

"I could hear the same problem but did not pay attention".......wat?!?

Ok, joking aside....I bet the real amp magnifies the problem where the ampsim wasnt as noticeable. I honestly don't think it's bad at all, and you should try it in a mix.

Unless I'm missing something here (I've never re-amped for "real"), it sounds like technique/pick attack.....you may want to consider retracking and clean it up a bit if it's bothering you that much. I personally prefer some of that noise on some trem-picked parts.

So that's not shocking to you? Maybe I'm just focusing on it too much.
The thing is that I've also played this way and I think it is the 1st time I can hear so many harmonics. Could it come from my pickups being too close from the strings?
What do you mean by "clean it up a bit"?

Anyway thanks for your inputs.

How about putting an EQ there to target those harmonics, and automate it only on the parts where it's a problem?

Maybe try having a low pass EQ on it before you reamp, and see how much tone it sucks out? I dunno, it could be dull as hell but it could also help.

It could be your pick attack. Also, try tracking guitars with the TSE sims. They (can) have a lot of nasty high frequencies that you'll notice more if you play poorly.