Why do albums come out so much earlier overseas?

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
It seems with many highly anticipated releases in metal (whether the band be European or domestic), the release dates for Europe and America hardly ever match up. Why such a delay for distribution here in the States? I understand that there are marketing concerns after a CD has been completely engineered and mastered that delay its arrival, but why not just sync up the release dates so the whole world has access around the same time? If anybody can shed some light, I'm sure it would be some of the distributors that post on this forum...

This topic is mainly in respone to the new Enslaved album Vertebrae, which I cannot wait for. In Europe, this album is going to be released on September 29 (less than a month from now), while in the States, the release date is about a month later (October 28!:erk:). I want the album as soon as possible, therefore I would want it as early as late September...what gives?

I don't know what the deal is with early Euro releases, but as far as Japan goes, buying an import is actually cheaper than buying domestic, so they release them early and with bonus material in an attempt to get them to buy the domestic release.

Sometimes it takes longer for the label releasing to work out a financially satisfactory deal with distributors in some territory, or licensing deal with a label inside that territory. Sometimes a distro or label licensee will be able to strike a deal that makes the label satisfied but can't work it into their schedules for a few extra weeks or even months.

Some albums come out later in Europe. Some movies come out way later in Europe.

Some bands/European labels, don't have a US distributor.

I don't know what the deal is with early Euro releases, but as far as Japan goes, buying an import is actually cheaper than buying domestic, so they release them early and with bonus material in an attempt to get them to buy the domestic release.

I was just thinking that it's the opposite for us they can get people to buy the import here if they release it earlier than the domestic and make more $$$$$$$.

It's always about the money isn't it?