• I like the obscurity of it.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

Toby

Cheesegrater Of Chastity
Jun 27, 2004
Well I don't have any sort of vinyl collection, but if I were to buy any albums on vinyl it'd be purely because of how classy they are, though cds are about a hundred times easier to use, put on your computer etc

I like how it looks, sounds and feels -- I buy LP's to PLAY them, so I don't "collect" them anymore than I do CD's... There are some exceptions of albums I own on both CD and vinyl, and one pic vinyl I bought only to hang on the wall to the right of me ("For Funerals to Come") but generally... Yeah.

Yeah, vinyl has a virtually infinite "sample rate," to put it that way. However, one should remember that CD's are far superior in dynamic range, so vinyl isn't perfect in any way, especially when cutting really long albums dynamic range goes down a fair bit I guess...

Anyway, I'm not really an audiophile or anything, I have a shitty record player and the main thing that I notice is a certain undefinable "warmth" in the lower end of the frequency spectrum... Other than that, sound is really not a big deal. What it all comes down to is that at the end of the day I'll take a vinyl or a CD of an album I want, doesn't really matter. CD's have convenience going for them, vinyl has nice-looking artwork, "warm" sound and a better "album feeling" but eh, it's the music that counts.

They make your penis bigger.

Actually, the sound is different–it's warmer, more "live." Some people like that, some people don't, some people don't really care. I'd buy vinyls if I could, but I don't have a record player or room for one. Maybe once I'm out of college or at least get an apartment here.

I've been realy getting into vinyls lately. There's an air of authenticity about vinyl that I don't get from CD's. They look bloody nice too.

Very, very good thread...thanks Ockham...
It's a question i used to ask myself...and the only replies i found were, first, we all are geeks and we collect everything about the band(s) we like (like i do with Opeth) coz we like them, and then, coz of the covers...an Iron Maiden (like Somewhere In Time) looks about 1000 times better on vinyl than a cd, it's obvious...
I'm not sure about the sound coz that means you have, to compared vinyls and cds), to have a as good material for vinyls than for cds, which is pretty rare now i guess...

CDs are much easier to use and way more versatile but there's just something..cool about a Vinyl. As has been said earlier in this thread, there's a kinda more warm, live feeling to listening to a Vinyl, and IMO they're more collectable than CDs. Plus a lot of more rare material is on Vinyl only and luckily I've got decks and a mixer at home so I've got about 20 records in my music collection, mainly albums that I've got the CD for as well but I just felt like having the vinyl as well.

Dunno if that's going to be accurate for everyone but meh, it's just my humble opinion

CDs scratch EASILY, I can DL anything I want off the internet and burn it to easily scratchable CDs. I collect vinyl for the sake of supporting artists and not having to worry about the album being destroyed by constant use. I don't have a record player.

That's why I don't play the records, plus it's more elite when you tell someone you have an assload of vinyls. I treat my CDs better than my wife and they still fuck up.

I treat my cd's like a virgin...Really gentle and careful around the hole. And not one of my cd's skip. Most of the people I know however don't handle cd's well at all. Throwing them down on to the floor of their car bare-naked and caseless after a listen.Grabbing them by the bottom center in a senseless act of audiogenic debauchery! Oh the fucking mindless horror!!!!! But the cd's they listen to are usually discarded after the mainstream popularity that they carry dwindles. So it doesn't really matter anyhow.

None of the CDs or DVDs that I use properly are scratched. I'd buy vinyl to collect it, but I'd be way too paranoid to actually listen to it :p

CDs are even better if you rip them then stash the CDs away somewhere :) Then they never get scratched at all one bit no sureee.

Vinyl LP's used to come with posters and all kinds of cool inserts. If you can locate most heavy metal from the 1970's through the late 1980's, if it's been taken care of, thejn it probably still has all the extra stuff. Most of the re-sissued vinyl has better audio quality than the originals, but the cover art is often not as well reproduced, and the posters or other inserts are almost never included.

The LP cover art gave some vinyl a degree of coolness that cassettes and CD's never had. In fact, the low cost of CD production (and the even lower cost of CD-R reproduction) has made CD's almost disposable -- the "8-tracks" of the early 21st century. Recording companies are phasing them out in favor of truly disposable MP-3 and other bitstreamed media to stop the copying, but without the packaging and other media to add consumer value to the music product, the only stuff that SELLS are a few really big hit songs. Most MP-3's and other bitstreamed music files have to be given away as part of a promotion for some other product; " Buy a [some product] and get free music downloads..."

Things seem to be coming "full circle". Today, bands that want to legitimize themselves nd rise above the garage-band (or garbage-band) rabble, need to have a vinyl version of their albums, or else they are just seen as another home recording act - not taken too seriously by anyone in the music business. The reason is that everyone knows a CD costs only about US$0.30 or so to produce, but an LP might run about US$1.50/unit or more. A band or artist who can move the more expensive LP product, is a band that fans think is cool enough to spend money on...so record companies respond by sinking more money into promotion, tour support, recording re-imbursements, etc.

BTW: Nice to see that metal fans aren't a bunch of queer-kissing, anti-Constitutional (2nd amendment), commmunist punks.

I've recently started trying to find more vinyls. They have much nicer cover art, and are more organic sounding, in general, than CDs.

Not all record players have metal needles, either, I don't believe. I used one yesterday that had a red thing on the end of the arm...I really don't have any experience with them, though, so I could be wrong.