Why do people generally prefer the Dual over the Tiple Rec...

chadsxe

Super Rad Member
Dec 13, 2005
I noticed alot of people always mention the dual rec when talking about great amps, but why not the triple?

i guess it's not the 200 bucks or something you pay more when buying them, but rather the maintenance. fully retubing a 100w head is expensive enough, i don't even want to imagine the 150w triple recto head.

edit: i don't have a lot of experience with either of those heads, but in general i feel that higher wattage equals more punch and aggression. the 50w heads i used to own did not sound as full and mean as the 100w versions. prime example...marshall jcm800. the 50w lacks balls imho

Sinister Mephisto said:
I guess it's just overkill. Not neccasary. Both are good, and besides, if ones less exspensive... :p

Side by side, there is a difference between the dual and triple. Plus 150w is not that much louder than 100w. It's not half again as loud.

To get *any* tube amp to really shine you have to turn them up. If you can't turn the amp up, stick to a modeler, it will work much better at bedroom levels. That's what I do - I have a RoadKing, Powerball and 5150 at home, and I use the POD XT the most. :Spin: When I want to make a "real" recording I crank the amps, when I want to noodle around and write or practice, I use the POD.

There is more cost to the triple, the tubes are more expensive to replace, but there is a sonic difference.

Matt Crooks said:
Side by side, there is a difference between the dual and triple. Plus 150w is not that much louder than 100w. It's not half again as loud.

To get *any* tube amp to really shine you have to turn them up. If you can't turn the amp up, stick to a modeler, it will work much better at bedroom levels. That's what I do - I have a RoadKing, Powerball and 5150 at home, and I use the POD XT the most. :Spin: When I want to make a "real" recording I crank the amps, when I want to noodle around and write or practice, I use the POD.

There is more cost to the triple, the tubes are more expensive to replace, but there is a sonic difference.

Ahhh... well okay. I'm thinking I should give up on this whole "knowing anything" thing. :cry:

:)

When I was looking for a new half stack a year ago, I went to GC and tried both. First it was the triple. I wanted to try it at a medium/low comfortable level. I had the volume at a low range and scared the crap out of myself cause it sounded like it was on 10 and of coarse everyone in the store turns around to look at me probably thinking, what's this a-hole doing?
I managed to quickly get it as low as possible but it was still much louder
then I felt it should be at 1. I found it to be rather sterile sounding. This was straight in, no pedals.
The dual I thought was a little more meatier and lively but overall basically the same. Okay, but not quite what I was looking for.
I ended up getting the Krankenstein and have been very happy with it.

Are the 5150s super loud like the recs?

Am I the only one who thinks Singles sound best, and own ass with EL34's?

Torniojaws said:
Just FYI, in order to double perceived loudness, you'd have to tenfold wattage. Ie. a 1000 W amp is twice as loud as a 100 W amp.

While I'm not sure if this is correct, I know that every time you double the wattage, you add 3db. Every time you double the speaker amount (up to 4x12) adds 3db, as well.

I think they all sound good. I've compared old Duals with new Duals and in some cases the old wins, and in others the new one did. Same exact thing with old and new Triples. It's all about the amp. There are amazing sounding ones and average sounding ones. It's all a matter of upkeep and also taste.

Generally I think I've had more overall success with triples in the studio, but I own a dual that kicks ass, so who knows..

Also, I recently used a single rec on an album I produced, for both rhythms and leads. It sounded fabulous.

Oops..almost forgot to mention..I recently bought the Triaxis/90-90 setup we used to record the guitars on DNB. Really nice sounding rack.

NK said:
Oops..almost forgot to mention..I recently bought the Triaxis/90-90 setup we used to record the guitars on DNB. Really nice sounding rack.

NK... it's a 2:90 :D

I had a TriAxis / 2:90 combo for years... I *loved* the lead and clean sounds but was only 90% happy with the rhythm sound. Since the majority of a song is not the lead... I got rid of the rack and got a triple... which I traded for a RK... which I still have.

I have gotten good results with the dual, the tripple and RK. I've also gotten less than stellar results with the dual and triple.

My new quest is to try out eh micing technique talked about over at gearsluts... a royer and a gefell through a chandler EMI pre... I think that's gonna cost me :)

I still think a framus cobra on channel 2/crunch is the ultimate rhythm sound...

followed by an engl powerball.

friggin germans and their godly engineering.

one day, i will drive a 2008 BMW with a cobra in passenger seat, and a powerball in the trunk. =)

hey.. doesnt hurt to dream.

Hi Matt,

Sorry about the typo..hehe.

I've long loved the Triaxis as a pre - I was offered a brand new one in the box in '96 for $400 and I passed on it (because I had access to this one back then anyway). When this one came up for sale I immediately jumped at the chance.

I also have a Dual which is killer, but I haven't tried them back to back as of yet. That will happen in a few weeks when I get back home.

Any amp can sound tired, just as any amp can sound great. It's all down to making sure they're in good shape, new tubes if necessary, biased etc. I do know that I chose this Triaxis/2:90 combo over several other amp choices for a number of projects, so this will work for me I'm sure. I've been using this particular combination since '92 when we got two of them for Flotsam's "Cuatro". Always wanted one since then...so now I'm happy.