Why do people generally prefer the Dual over the Tiple Rec...

I haven't had much luck with Engl amps over the years myself. I always hear great things about them but so far they've come up short in the studio for me.

Ah well..

Hey Neil... I'm sure you remember, so I'll ask.

Can you give details about Jeff's rig/playing/the vibe that went down on self titled nev? CBF is still a personal fave of mine... i love that goddamn record.. as well as in memory.

blank their state of mind......... the apathy they find............. leads them intooo the noothing.......

Neil... Did you have to "tame" Warrell on those sessions? Tame his Sanctuary/falsetto tendencies?

I still think the self titled nev is the shit.

C.B.F. is one of their best tracks... im reading in liner notes of my CD that it was done at Robert Lang studio in seattle.

Hi Ether,

Yes, it was all tracked at Robert Langs. I mixed the first 6 demos in LA in '92 and the other 5 in Reno a year later.

Jeff's rig was a solid state preamp..might have been a Digitech and an old Peavey power amp. I think someone posted accurate details on it a while back.

The demos were done over the course of more than a year (two sessions totallling 11 songs) 6 with Mark Arrington on drums, and 5 with Van Williams a year later.

Basically we just hurried up and did it. The band was paying for the studio time so we just got in and did it as fast as we could. Epic wasn't showing much interest in the *metalness* of the material, so we tried to make it tougher vocally, rather than high falsetto stuff. I had already been through that with both EMI (on Rage For Order) and MCA (Flotsam's "Cuatro") where the A&R dept. was asking me to make sure we got rid of the screechy vocals, their reason being that radio wouldn't touch it, which was basically becoming the case back then. Metal was a really dirty word in 1992, what with the rising popularity of grunge etc. Being that we were slap bang in the middle of Grunge-land we decided to at least not stick out like too much of a sore thumb. The clubs were teeming with A&R people all the time, everyone looking for the next AIC, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam etc.

Still, either way, Warrel has his style and his influences, so we didn't consciously try to change things too radically, just tone down the super high helium screams..hehe.

I think the recording was all done in a total of about 7 days (3 days for the first 6 songs, and then 4 days for the next 5, a year later) and I mixed everything in two 1 day sessions, 6 songs the first year, and 5 the next. They were demos after all. We never expected them to be released. To this day I still really wish I'd had a chance to remix them, but the label wouldn't go for it.

KICKASS!!!

Neil... Thanks. Truly.

Very interesting your mention of the A&R mindset of that era. This CD was pressed in 1995 according to Century Media, and of course Nirvana, Pearl Jam, all that stuff was 93 - 95 ... HUGE then.

Remeber Candlebox? Hehe.

Shit.. Loomz was playing a 2101 (assuming since you said digitech) through a peavey solid stater??

I'm about to go total fanboi on you, but I will refrain.

On a sidenote, what do you think of Godless and how Andy has continued to blow minds?

Nev is very close to your heart, are they not? You did some amazing stuff with them!

I had the best time of my life when Nev came here to Arizona in 1999-2000 or so in support of Dead Heart. I sat at the bar and bought about 7 pitchers and sucked them down with Jim at The Mason Jar.... Then I met Jeff (he was wearing the full on hockey jersey and still playing Jacksons back then) and just shook his hand.

bah... i'm getting sappy.

Neil.. I'm an Ipodder. Meaning that I mp3 all my stuff and upload it to my exercise/jogging machine.

If you want me to yank this URL, say the word and it is yanked.

I just thought that some might like to hear "vintage" Nev... which, is flawless, IMO.. and might bring back some mem'z for you

Track2 from Nev self titled, the "demo" stuff:

http://www.jcm900.com/ebay/nev2.mp3

KILLLING!!!!!

neil, no need for a remix, the s/t sounds GREAT. sure, it's different from the usual "cleaner" more produced sound, but it's that "raw" feeling that adds a LOT to the mood of the album....imho.
besides, this is the best example for a kickass solid state sound. surely there are loads of albums recorded with a solid state amp (at the gates, early in flames, pantera, and death come to mind), but this one takes the cake.
tone really must be in the hands ;)

what i like about the s/t is that it has a very cool vibe. the songs really grab your nuts while listening to them, forcing you to feel a certain way - if that does make any sense at all :D :D :D that's something later albums don't really do....DNB was close, but other than that there's only a few songs on each record, such as sell my heart for stones.
imho, godmoney is the only weak track on that record. i just cannot get into the main riff. moreover, the sound seems to be different from the other songs?!

EtherForBreakfast said:
Neil.. I'm an Ipodder. Meaning that I mp3 all my stuff and upload it to my exercise/jogging machine.

If you want me to yank this URL, say the word and it is yanked.

I just thought that some might like to hear "vintage" Nev... which, is flawless, IMO.. and might bring back some mem'z for you

Track2 from Nev self titled, the "demo" stuff:

http://www.jcm900.com/ebay/nev2.mp3

KILLLING!!!!!

This song has always been my favorite Nevermore song...the way it builds up is fricken ridiculous.

i assume that's C.B.F, right? 2nd track on the s/t.
it kicks total ass. one of my all time nevermore faves. i love the chorus, it has that "Born" chorus vibe which kicks me in the nuts, HARD. i get chills every time i listen to this stuff.

I tried out a Dual recto combo w/t 2 v30's for a record I did for a band.It actually sounds not bad! It for sure sounds way better than the dual head alone.Something about that small amp sound.

I own a tripple rect, and the other guitarist in my band owns a dual rect, and they sound almost identical with the exeption that when we play a shitty gig and the venue does not mic the cabs the differance really shines becouse i have all the volume i need to cut through the mix and the dual just dont have the juice. but thats really the only differance i have noticed. and trust me both amps set side by side in my studio and i run them both at the same time using one axe.

Actually I don't think that statement holds any water at all bro. Sorry. I've owned and gigged with so many different Mesas, and Rectos for that matter, that it's come down to I just prefer the damn Dual. No particular reason. I just do.

Cut the bullshit, the Triple isn't all *that* much louder. I've owned them and a Dual at the same time. Never once crossed my mind that I was getting more "juice" out of either of them than the other.

And to add this, no two amps sound identical. I don't care if they came off the line right after each other, they don't sound identical. Every amplifier, just like a guitar, is different from the last, and the one after it. They can sound similar, but not identical, thats like saying we live in a perfect world, or that Ferrari's aren't fast cars. It's just wrong.

One thing also...volume isn't the only solution to cutting through a mix. EQ plays a major role. And if you both had your amps EQ'ed the same exact way, you need to rethink this whole guitarist thing. Two guitarists that have the same exact general sound...might as well be one guitarist. Especially live. And typically, it's hard to judge how things are mixing in an open environment, such as a live music venue, when you are standing in front of/next to your amp. Of course your's is cutting through more, you can hear it a lot easier because you're right there.

Can I see pictures of your "studio"? I would like to see what kind of controlled environment you work in where 150 watts is substantially louder than 100 watts. Maybe you have some neat acoustic treatments that really amplify minute ass differences in volumes. Seriously...it's like 3dB more...if that. Fuck if you can actually notice that with a full band live.

I like pie.

~006

I've owned quite a few Recto's over time. I've had an all black '93 Dual (black chassis and faceplate), a '94 Dual (chrome chassis and black faceplate), a '97 Dual, a '99 Triple, an '01 Triple, an '02 Dual, and an '02 Triple. After putting them all through the wringer, I can honestly say that the best sounding ones were the '93 and '94 Duals I had (still have the '94). The only Triple that could hold it's own was the '01 I bought new, and it's the only 3 channel model that could hold it's own also.

Forget whether all Triples or Duals sound better than the others. You can't generalize like that. The bottom line is that some amps sound great, others...not so much. My buddy and I bought our '01 Triples at the same time. Both new, both from the same shipment, both new in box. My Triple sounded great, tight, articulate, etc. His never sounded that good, was more fizzy, and just never lived up to the one I bought on the same day, from the same shipment. No two amps are the same.

silverwulf said:
My Triple sounded great, tight, articulate, etc. His never sounded that good, was more fizzy, and just never lived up to the one I bought on the same day, from the same shipment. No two amps are the same.

Thank you.

Ownt again. :p

~006