Why do some ppl get a hard-on when you tell them ZH is a technical band?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Yes that's the question. Every now and then, I run into idiots who get all pissed off when you mention that ZH are a technical band. They will immediately attack you saying nothing about their music is technical in the least; some will even say that they "couldn't even cover DT's 'Jtse Jam'" (has ZH even tried to cover this piece?) and so on.

It seems bands that are immediately mentioned are the likes of Spiral Architect, Behold... the Arctopus, Cynic, Spastik Ink, and Meshuggah. These people refuse to consider ZH a "tech" band, claiming their materia is pretty straightforward with big rhythm crunch and occasional time shifts.

Now, I'll never argue that ZH's music is harmonically as intricate as Spiral Architect's, since I'm well aware that ZH plays a more rhythm-based style of prog metal. Also, neither the lead guitar work nor the drumming are as jazzy and over-the-top; however, what these people seem to miss is that ZH's songs as a whole are incredibly complex, rather than parts of them. The Tipton brothers are concerned about writing complex, well-thought "songs"; they are not after mind-blowingly fast solos or such.

Music can be still technical when the compositions are so vividly deep and textured. One doesn't have to play a million notes in a million different odd-timed meters.

Also, what really bugs me is that people constantly complain about the lack of solo on the albums. I've heard and read more than once that they think Jasun is not capable of shredding like the best of themi; hence he avoids it. I just find it hard to explain to these people that Jasun's concern in the song - he won't lay down a long, drawn-out lead solo in order to prove he's so talented. It's the same thing as Tool - this is easily among the most talented and innovative bands in the world; yet they hardly play solos. Still, their songs are a lot more complex than most prog metallers out there.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Where does ZH's music sit when it comes to the world of "technical prog"?

Thanks!

In my opinion, technical skill is a tool. A tool that is HIGHLY overrated in the world of "prog". ZH is a band that understands the necessity of songwriting, melody, rhythm... and then they take these things and slam them through their technical ability to produce awesome SONGS. I couldn't honestly care less if there's somebody out there faster or more intricate. When they can write songs like this, then they can come back and compare.

I think they are technical. I think they are prog. I think they are metal. And I think they are technical prog. But more than anything, I think they are the best technical prog metal music out today!!

Just keep saying to those folks these 3 lines over and over again:

This is a warning of no compromise
The arrogant will be made humble
The ignorant will be made wise

But make sure you stress the "arrogant/humble" part and you REALLY stress the "ignorant will be made wise" part ;)

I think saying we're a Progressive Metal band that has technical parts or idea's sound correct to me. I don't know how it works with bands being categorize in a genre, the differences and all that I can't keep up.

I like reading all of your answers and they all sound good to me.

The thing with Zero Hour is we're just trying to be us and there's so many great bands out there who I enjoy listening to.

I remember going over to Mike Varney's house (Owner of Shrapnel and Magna Carta Records) and someone brought up Buckethead and Mike V. said oh he's all speed and has no feeling at all. I personally disagree because there's been some amazing feeling from his material. On Praxis Transmutation just at the end Animal Behavior or it's the start of Dead Man Walking Buckethead plays this beautiful piece. Some of the notes on that tune just talks to me. Some people may disagree with me but it's all good. Everyone has their opinion and you just have to with what your ears are telling you.

YOU GUY'S RULE and dig the post.

Jasun

For me I think Jasun sums it up when he says

"The thing with Zero Hour is we're just trying to be us " and when Kenneth talks about songwriting; how music fits as a whole.

When I saw Zero Hour play at Headway what first struck me was how connected Troy and Jasun were (musically) I guess the way only brothers can be. I was totally blown away by the bands energy. During the next two days I saw the band hang out at the festivals and was struck by how honest and generous they were (watching every band and greeting everyone they came into contact with warmth and humour;as well as looking after Eric).

I guess what I most admire about the band is how true they are to playing music they believe in. I for one like the fact there are no long guitar solos; Jasun is a underatted guitar player.

I guess there will always be those who seem to enjoy the bashing. Zero Hour are a band that people usually have strong opions either way, they are not trying to be the next Dream Theater POS or Spiral Architect, they are simply playing music they believe in. I for one respect them for that.

Buckethead all speed an no feel?! Hah all you have to do is play Colma and/or Electric Tears to prove such a statement wrong!

Who cares what neat little genre some people want to place them in? The music of Zero Hour is ART. It defies classification and is unique and compelling.

Zero Hour is excellent.

I went to Rock in Rio and I saw him there playing for Guns And Roses. Think he is good. Didn't saw him playing fast guitars, but he played live a lot more perfect than Slash.

I think the important distinction you're failing to make is between technical and complex. When you use the word technical in your post, I think you mean complex. Technical refers to technical skill - and while Zero Hour clearly has the technical ability to cover any of those bands, and perhaps outplay them (but who really cares?) that skill is not omnipresent in their music, as it is in Meshuggah's, or Spiral Architect's. Spiral Architect is essentially a LOT of shredding, a LOT of odd meter. Zero Hour has some too, but it's not the entire song.