Why does Blaze get so much heat from Maiden fans?

Rhombus

Mar 20, 2008
I don't understand it. Personally, Blaze adds a dark undertone which is kind of a welcome change. I love Maiden, I just don't understand why Blaze is so hated. Sure, he's no Dickinson in terms of vocal range, but there's nothing wrong with him. Would anyone care to elaborate?

Because Bruce is an absolutely legendary singer, and, more importantly, Blaze was unable to sing many of the Maiden classics. They actually asked James LaBrie to join when Bruce left, but James declined. I would like to hear what Iron Maiden would have sounded like with Russel Allen, myself.

Have you ever heard Blaze's material with his new band? His voice has evolved quite a bit. The only problem, for myself, is that his band doesn't have the same style instrumentally that Maiden did on The X Factor and Virtual XI.

Ripper could actually sing the Priest classics well, and Rob Halford's voice was failing. Blaze had neither of those advantages. He was just an inappropriate replacement for Bruce Dickinson.

First of all, he's straining and yelling and sounds awful, and second of all, that's not a very difficult song for Bruce-era Maiden. Try "The Number of the Beast", "Caught Somewhere in Time", or "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" and I'll be more impressed.

EDIT: Ugh, Jesus Christ, he sounds like a bad thrash singer on this song. He just can't hack it.

Blaze sounds terrible on this one. I can't post Dream Theater's cover of this song from their official bootleg here due to copyright but you can find it on YouTube if you want and James LaBrie nails it. I have no idea how he did that in 2004, considering the shape his voice was in during that tour. Yes, even the scream. "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
A phenomenal singer being replaced by a mediocre (at best singer) is going to cause negative feedback. What is so hard to understand about that?

Also, he simply doesn't fit with Maiden at all.
Also, they were losing popularity before he joined, and it just made things worse.
Also, they released their 2 weakest albums with him, and it wasn't just because of his vocals.
And so on...
There was no right man for the job - Bruce left some massive shoes to fill (surprising considering how short he is) - but Blaze was very, very wrong for the job.
He's a decent singer with other bands, but doesn't work at all with Maiden.

What happened to make Blaze so pissed off? I'm guessing someone heckled him or something because I didn't catch it in the vid.

Yeah, he did fucking butcher The Trooper

I think Blaze has an awesome voice, but it's much better on the albums with his own band. I have all three studio albums and the live album, they're all awesome and I'm looking forward to the fourth studio album which is to be released in May.

The X Factor is a great album, also.

If you listen to Virtual XI you'll hear how 'pitchy' his voice is to the music. It's like he's on the sharp side of the songs.

I know it Maiden and all but if this was your first Maiden album, you'd run for the hills. -sry-

I like his voice on The X Factor, which as cherko said, is a solid album.

Blaze just couldn't handle Bruce's stuff live. Also, the band were missing the Dickinson/Smith songwriting team, which explains why Virtual XI was their worst album and Brave New World one of their best.