Why does Blaze get so much heat from Maiden fans?

I like his voice on The X Factor, which as cherko said, is a solid album.

Blaze just couldn't handle Bruce's stuff live. Also, the band were missing the Dickinson/Smith songwriting team, which explains why Virtual XI was their worst album and Brave New World one of their best.

Smith was probably a bigger factor than Blaze...Janick <<<< Adrian.

If you're going to indulge in wank-shredding, at least have the chops to play it cleanly and precisely. Janick sounds really sloppy and unfocused.

Blaze isn't really a BAD vocalist per se, and the X Factor is an alright record. He was just way far from being an adequate replacement for Dickinson.

Frankly, one of his big challenges was one also faced by Dickinson, only on a larger scale: he wasn't capable of pulling off his predecessor's recorded output live. I've stated before that I don't think Bruce does the Di'Anno material justice, but as great as those first two albums are, that is more than forgivable given that he created so many great tunes with the band himself and, at this point, could easily hammer out a brilliant 2-hour set of his own work with them. Blaze had a similar problem, but one way or another, he was gonna have to be able to handle a sizable amount of Dickinson material no matter how long he'd stayed with the band. Never mind that he joined at a time when they were already past their prime and the songwriting wasn't cutting it anymore, regardless of who was handling vocals.

They toured around here with Blaze about ten years ago, and I recall friends of mine who attended saying that the whole band seemed completely devoid of life on stage during those gigs.

Blaze isn't really a BAD vocalist per se, and the X Factor is an alright record. He was just way far from being an adequate replacement for Dickinson.

Frankly, one of his big challenges was one also faced by Dickinson, only on a larger scale: he wasn't capable of pulling off his predecessor's recorded output live. I've stated before that I don't think Bruce does the Di'Anno material justice, but as great as those first two albums are, that is more than forgivable given that he created so many great tunes with the band himself and, at this point, could easily hammer out a brilliant 2-hour set of his own work with them. Blaze had a similar problem, but one way or another, he was gonna have to be able to handle a sizable amount of Dickinson material no matter how long he'd stayed with the band. Never mind that he joined at a time when they were already past their prime and the songwriting wasn't cutting it anymore, regardless of who was handling vocals.

They toured around here with Blaze about ten years ago, and I recall friends of mine who attended saying that the whole band seemed completely devoid of life on stage during those gigs.

I think Bruce does the Di'Anno era songs much better than Blaze did songs originally sung by Bruce. And Bruce often improves on many songs from the Blaze albums, such as "Futureal" and "The Clansman".

I think Bruce does the Di'Anno era songs much better than Blaze did songs originally sung by Bruce. And Bruce often improves on many songs from the Blaze albums, such as "Futureal" and "The Clansman".

Well yeah, I wasn't really referring to the second time around with Bruce. And his performance of Di'Anno songs isn't unlistenable by any means (as can be the case with some of what Blaze did), just inferior to the original.

I don't understand it. Personally, Blaze adds a dark undertone which is kind of a welcome change. I love Maiden, I just don't understand why Blaze is so hated. Sure, he's no Dickinson in terms of vocal range, but there's nothing wrong with him. Would anyone care to elaborate?

well it's kind of obvious actually... dickinson IS the voice of maiden... to try to replace him is like having queen without freddie.

Speaking of Blaze, Wolfsbane are a band I really need to check out

I have Live Fast, Die Fast... And really, it isn't worth listening to, and that's coming from someone who actually LIKES Blaze's voice, more than most people do...

It's just a really mediocre rock band.

I have Live Fast, Die Fast... And really, it isn't worth listening to, and that's coming from someone who actually LIKES Blaze's voice, more than most people do...

It's just a really mediocre rock band.

wasn't that one of their weaker releases though? I know that they didn't like working with Rick Rubin.

Yeah, definitely. But ever heard Bruce sing Wrathchild or Murders In The Rue Morgue? :erk:

Bruce does a fantastic job on Iron Maiden, though. Seeing them do that song live was one of the best moments of my life.

Bruce does a fantastic job on Iron Maiden, though. Seeing them do that song live was one of the best moments of my life.

Speaking of best moments of your life, imagine being a metal novice starting to get into Norwegian black metal in 2005, tuning into a "metal" station on Sirius Satellite Radio (they play metal on satellite radio. And classical. And folk. And Tales From Topographic Oceans, in all its hour-and-a-half-long wanktastic prog rock glory). Some band called Iron Maiden appears in the listing, with a song called "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son". You tune in, and the first thing you hear is Bruce Dickinson singing that ludicrously epic vocal run after the verse.

I was blown away on that day. Totally fucking blown away. Once you just hear something as godly as the high notes in "Seventh Son", the riffs in Megadeth's "Holy Wars", or the solos in Dream Theater's "The Glass Prison", you learn that there's a lot more to metal than "evil".

This concludes your daily inspirational nostalgia bullshit.

I think I'll go listen to that song right now and be skull-fucked by those vocals all over again.

I'm gonna go ahead and say Blaze made a positive contribution to Maiden. Sure, he wasn't the dashing, epic vocalist Bruce was, but he had a much more sincere singing style (something Bruce has never really had), and it fit the somewhat darker material Maiden was doing at the time.

"Lord of the Flies", for example, is an absolutely incredible song, and Blaze's vocals give it a really heartfelt quality (i.e. he actually sounds like a real person with real struggles). I would not want Bruce's vocals on a song like that.