why does it seem that Anthrax are overlooked or forgotten about.

nuge

Mar 24, 2002
chicago
Visit site
i was reading a magazine called pulse.it is a free mag you get at tower records.they had an article called "mass destruction-three decades on heavy metal's highway to hell"
in this article they talk about zeppelin,deep purple,black sabbath,slayer,maiden,metallica,and motorhead.the only time they mention is in the part with slayer naming the big four of 80's metal. then they have their essenial listening-albums you need to own.
1)sabbath-paranoid
2)metallica-master of puppets
3)led zeppelin-II
4)judas priest-screaming for vengeance
5)slayer-reign in blood
6)maiden-number of the beast
7)motorhead-no remorse
8)ac/dc-highway to hell
9)van halen-van halen
10)ozzy-blizzard of ozz
11)deep purple-machine head
12)ministry-the mind is a terrible thing to taste
13)motley crue-shout at the devil
14)rage against the machine-evil empire
15)korn-follow the leader

the only other time they mention anthrax is in the further listening section.they list among and spreading and that is it.there is no talk about how influencal(spelling)they were to heavy metal or the music of today.i just do not get it.anthrax did alot of firsts and have only gotten better with time.but you never hear talk of them on radio,tv,or even when you are out somewhere.but i always hear about zep,ozzy,metallica,sabbath and many others.
sorry if this is kind of long but i just needed to vent.
:mad:

Originally posted by TD
Once they break up people will miss them. I don't how many people I know who have kicked themselves for not going to see bands of years past like Faith No More, Husker Du, Helmet, the Ramones...........

%100 true! Many times people don't give music a chance until a member dies or a band breaks up! I'd like to think that the Anthrax albums that people will remember are "Among the Living", "I'm the Man EP", "Spreading the Disease", "Sound of White Noise", "Stomp 442". Faith No More is a great band that TD mentioned, I almost cried the day I heard that they called in quits. I remember people asking "what the hell are you listening to, this kicks ass!" when I was playing the "Album of the Year"(Faith no More's last album). I was like, "you should have listened to them sooner, they might still be around!" Oh well, the mighty Thrax continues to roll!

Cheerz!

I passed on the mighty Faith No More (w/ a little known band called Limp Bizkit) during the summer of 1997. I can't remember why, something was up a party or a girlfriend, whatever, I was like "I'll catch 'em next tour." A year later they broke up, I was pissed. Album of the Year was indeed the album of the year. Angeldust rules too. Long live FNM

Yup, I don't get it either. There was a time when I thought that Korn were so cool because of the way they tried to act cool on stage. Or on their videos like blind. But later on I grew up and realised that the only person that deserves respect in Korn is the drummer. David Silveira is a great drummer but then I read in Modern Drummer that he hadn't practised once on his kit between the releases of "Korn" and "Life is Peachy". Dave, your so fucking lazy. There are people with jobs out there that work nine to 5 but you don't even bother to practise!!:( This really pissed me off because his playing really influenced my playing.

I think the reason Anthrax does'nt get the respect they deserve is because their not selling enough records. But that should'nt be the point with music. Just look at Britney, her music is overproduced shit but still sells well, and then the pricks at the Grannys give her a Granny not because her album was good but because it makes people watch the show and gives them more money!!
Remember the days when bands like Led Zeppelin would experiment and do music for art's sake? Anthrax still does it for the art but there is no fucking jusice in the music biz when Creed can sell 10 million and Anthrax 100,000 copies of Vol.8.

All music is about nowadays is money, promotion, sex fucking appeal and bugger all talent. Just look at the swines in Taproot!!!:mad: :mad:

i did not understand korn being on that list at all.

also,when run-dmc were rapping over heavy guitars it was still called rap.when anthrax did i'm the man it was called rap.
but now there are a million bands rapping over heavy music and it is called nu-metal or mall-core.and you never hear anyone give credit to anthrax. i just do not get it,they broke down the barriers and had to be the blue print for all these rap/metal bands.i just want credit where credit is due.:mad:

Guys, you're going to hate me for saying this, but I think sometimes Anthrax try to take too much credit for inventing rap rock. Don't get me wrong, the press gives them ZERO credit, and they deserve a huge chunk of it BUT, Run-DMC/Aerosmith, and Faith No More's "We Care A Lot" both predate "I'm The Man," or "Bring the Noize." This fact and this fact alone are probably why more people don't give them more "credit."

No doubt, those songs were the first ones to cross-over those types of music, but I think Bring the Noise and Epic probably have more to do with the current music scene than We Care a Lot. Also, I think 311 deserves a lot more credit than they get as they were one of the first bands that could truely be called rap rock. All the others are really one-offs or novelty songs for the most part. 311 is also the first band I can remember that had a DJ as well (except for maybe Urban Dance Squad, anyone remember them?)

j

Originally posted by TD
Guys, you're going to hate me for saying this, but I think sometimes Anthrax try to take too much credit for inventing rap rock. Don't get me wrong, the press gives them ZERO credit, and they deserve a huge chunk of it BUT, Run-DMC/Aerosmith, and Faith No More's "We Care A Lot" both predate "I'm The Man," or "Bring the Noize." This fact and this fact alone are probably why more people don't give them more "credit."
The Aerosmith/Run DMC, yes, but correct me if I'm wrong but the original I'm the Man single was in 1984 (it was the EP that was released in 1987), whereas We Care a Lot was 1985. I've never heard Aerosmith get any credit for this nu-metal crap either, anyway.

I don't think "I'm the Man" came out in 1984, and to J: the "novelty" argument is what anthrax fans use against the songs I mentioned (I'm not saying you did) but I counter with this: How in the world is "I'm the Man" or "Noize" not a novelty either.....Noise maybe less a novelty, but at any rate, it is essentially a cover tune anyway........

I can't speak for the actual release date of the single because my brother has it in a pile somewhere in his basement in Edmonton, but the beginning of I'm the Man'91 starts out with:

"1991, always on the run
Seven years ago we wrote this one"

suggesting that it was written in '84. Again, the EP was in '87, but that came out well after the single obviously (otherwise they wouldn't have been able to refer to the single in the live version...)

I remember Urban Dance Squad-they were good.
Remember Mordred? They had a dj.
the Hard Corps' rap version of "Back in Black"?
Judgement Night soundtrack?

You're all gonna laugh, but I'm serious about this. The Fat Boys were doing rap-metal years ago, too. Check out "Hell No" off the "Crushin" album from 1987. That leads me to mention two more rap/rock collaborations long forgotten or dismissed-BEACH BOYS/FAT BOYS-"Wipe Out" from the lp listed above and ANTHRAX/UTFO-"Lethal" (which sucks).

The Beastie Boys, that just goes without saying.......I mean "I'm the Man" was pretty much an attempt at sounding like the BB's. In fact they were supposed to be on it. If any anthrax fans think that anthrax mean more to rap-rock than the Beasties, they are simply clueless..........

i am not saying they mean more to rock/rap.i just think they deserve more credit.but i also think they deserve more credit with metal too. how can they not be on a list of must have metal albums.i am just saying in general they are overlooked nowadays and it is a shame.