Why does my DI sound like shit?

Joshnano

Jul 29, 2010
I'm having problems getting my DI tracks sounding remotely civilized. They sound so muddy and unfocused. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to possibly have them not sound like shit. Like maybe a slight EQ or something?

Here's the Audio example. The good DI is first. Then my DI is second.

FIXED: MY DI IS CENTERED NOW

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/27496354/DI%20Comparing.mp3

I put my DI along with Goddamn Guitar's DI and his sounds amazing!
He's using his Apple Apogee one interface. I'm using a Zoom H4N as my Interface to record DI. Both are in the same price range if not the same. (When I bought my Zoom it was $300 in late 09) so I'm not sure why mine sounds so crappy. Any ideas? Thoughts?

On an added note:
I'm recording my guitar the same dB level as the first, if not a little hotter (2-3 dB)
I'm using a Schecter Blackjack with the JB and '59 so it's like it's not due to shitty pickups or anything.
I'm using a 7 string as well, the strings are also new (week old at most, they still have the new string sound)

You are using a Zoom as a DI? You answered your own question.

Well it's a really well made device as well as having great built in mics and such. But the DI on this thing is complete shit when it comes to quality, imo.

Also, your guitar and pickups are very different from Ola's. Just because Seymour Duncans are "good" doesn't mean that they'll jive with your guitar to get the sound that you're looking for. I'd say it's more the guitar than the interface.

Also, your guitar and pickups are very different from Ola's. Just because Seymour Duncans are "good" doesn't mean that they'll jive with your guitar to get the sound that you're looking for. I'd say it's more the guitar than the interface.

I'm well aware of that and i've done my homework on this as far as pickups go. My pickups are fine, and I'm not trying to immitate Ola's guitar sound, just his DI.

You might want to consider also your playing. Something I noticed right away between the two was that yours was less tight so it sounded looser.

Except you're trying to imitate Ola's...guitar DI.

Well, to an extent. Not so much the DI i guess you can say. But just to see the quality of his DI vs. mine I guess. I really like the actual cleanliness and just the general EQ of the interface he used to record the DI.