Why does my DI sound like shit?

Well it's a really well made device as well as having great built in mics and such. But the DI on this thing is complete shit when it comes to quality, imo.

Built in mics? It has mics within it?It´s rea lly well made but the quality is shit?

Ok I googled it, you´re using a portable recorder as a DI? And because prices are similar you expect them to be equally good at the same tasks? My toilet costs more than that but I´m not using it to record DIs you know

Built in mics? It has mics within it?It´s rea lly well made but the quality is shit?

Ok I googled it, you´re using a portable recorder as a DI? And because prices are similar you expect them to be equally good at the same tasks? My toilet costs more than that but I´m not using it to record DIs you know

:devil:

Problem areas:
1) The Zoom is not exactly intended for this use. It's a portable field recorder. I've worked with the H4N several times, and believe me, it's a somewhat decent unit for interview work and such, but it's definitely not a Duet quality-wise for the purpose of tracking guitars.
2) You're using a completely different guitar with completely different pickups compared to what Ola is using. I don't mean it's a bad thing, not at all, but they will sound different. Ibbys are often described as rather bright-sounding.
3) Most of Ola's tone comes from his playing technique. Seriously. The man is an animal. I might be wrong here, but judging purely from the DI, it sounds like you aren't really digging into the strings with the pick. Good picking technique is crucial for a tight metal tone.

Solutions:
1) Grab a decent interface with a decent instrument input. Sell the Zoom or keep it for other uses. They're easy to get rid of if needed.
2) Either switch to a different guitar/pup-combo or learn to love the tone of your axe as it is.
3) Practice, practice, practice and practice, or alternatively, forget about practicing and dive into the absurd madness of endless gear purchases wondering why the tone is never quite what it could be.

That would be $89.99, thank you! :)

that thing's got a hi-z input on it, it's fine for recording di. it's just gonna sound a little different from something else. but any playing style can really adapt to any tone, amp, di sound, you name it. shit sounds different so you play it different. tone's in the fingers. the difference is technique, and for everyone doing it consciously, it's a different technique per guitar.

edit: and per interface/amp.

Problem areas:
1) The Zoom is not exactly intended for this use. It's a portable field recorder. I've worked with the H4N several times, and believe me, it's a somewhat decent unit for interview work and such, but it's definitely not a Duet quality-wise for the purpose of tracking guitars.
2) You're using a completely different guitar with completely different pickups compared to what Ola is using. I don't mean it's a bad thing, not at all, but they will sound different. Ibbys are often described as rather bright-sounding.
3) Most of Ola's tone comes from his playing technique. Seriously. The man is an animal. I might be wrong here, but judging purely from the DI, it sounds like you aren't really digging into the strings with the pick. Good picking technique is crucial for a tight metal tone.

Solutions:
1) Grab a decent interface with a decent instrument input. Sell the Zoom or keep it for other uses. They're easy to get rid of if needed.
2) Either switch to a different guitar/pup-combo or learn to love the tone of your axe as it is.
3) Practice, practice, practice and practice, or alternatively, forget about practicing and dive into the absurd madness of endless gear purchases wondering why the tone is never quite what it could be.

That would be $89.99, thank you! :)

There's the answer I've been looking for! Thank you! :)

Sorry for the n00b question really, but interfaces are still new to my recording languages and such.