Why does my mastering smash my snares?

Hi everybody!

I always have the same problem. When I'm mixing my snares sounds pretty good, but in the mastering they lose almost all of its attack, and sounds squashed...

Why does it happen to me?? Bwaaaaaaa!! :cry:

Btw: I use this mastering chain:

Waves REq --> Waves LinMB --> Voxengo Elephant

Use gclip on your snare track during mixdown so that the main brunt of the transient gets cut off.
if youve got a huge snare transient, your limiter's going to push that down even more than anything else, thus why it's getting buried, or at least thats how ive understood it to work
clipping off most of the transient prevents this from happening

yeah if youre mastering stuff to be loud you have to do certain things to make sure stuff wont get buried, such as the snare
i use gclip on every individual drum track so that the transients dont get lost in mastering
doing this will increase the clarity of your drums during mastering so much

It's happening because limiting isn't a very transparent way to master your material. If you strategically clip the transients you'll have a much easier time getting level whilst retaining a relatively transparent mix. Clipping the snare in the mix really helps, as mentioned, and a combination of limiting and clipping during mastering will give a good compromise of RMS to alteration ratio.

i usually:

clip (not taking off very much)
clip (taking off more, because aparrently gclip works better that way, ill take steve slates word for it)
saturation
clip
maybe compression
and clip again if i use compression
limiter taking off no more 1db.
that usually gets me -10db rms and sounds pretty natural.

I clip the snare track, clip the master, and then put Elephant on after and also get -10 RMS that sounds pretty natural :D (to me, of course)

Only using the GSSL and iZotope Loudness Maximizer has been getting me -7dB so naturally I have to actually consider willfully backing off. There is something so insanely good about that clip/limiter that it's almost criminal.

I have the same problem :( , but the worse of all is that i'm on mac. Is there any Gclip alternative to mac users?? PSP Vintage Warmer maybe!??!?!:erk:

StillWell Audio's Event Horizon. It has an unlimited trial version, the cost is not that much either.

Yep, as mentioned above clip the snare. Make sure that the snare has enough low mids and also make sure that the low mids from other instruments aren't interfering too much with your snare. Works every time for me. In fact, the snare's fundamental frequency is based around that region. ;)

I've had the same problem... I'm not understanding how to clip the snare though.

How do clip snare?