Why does my mastering smash my snares?

is there a rtas one out there? i always working on pt enviroment , thanks~~~

IK Multimedia T-RackS Soft-Clipper, 74.99€/$99.99 at their webstore

H-ClassicClipper.jpg

Im blending 2 snares here, 1 per fader and no matter how much clipping the limiter kills it since both snares together have a massive transient. Would you reccommend bouncing the snares down to 1 stereo track? Ive worked too hard on this damn snare to loose its smack at the final stage! :|

Im blending 2 snares here, 1 per fader and no matter how much clipping the limiter kills it since both snares together have a massive transient. Would you reccommend bouncing the snares down to 1 stereo track? Ive worked too hard on this damn snare to loose its smack at the final stage! :|

Clip both snares during mix
then clip their group track as well
that or bounce to one track if you're truly happy withit.

Clip both snares during mix
then clip their group track as well
that or bounce to one track if you're truly happy withit.

Yup clipped both snares and twice on the master:

Waves-1.jpg

As you can see its peaking to hell and back, basically due to the snare stacking. It sounds a good level even with the guitars/bass as you can see which is the general waveform running throughout.

That your mix or your master?
What sort of level you aiming for?

Thats my mix there, ive tried putting a PSP saturator/added gain via 2x gclips and some extra on the limiter and it evens everything out....like this:

Waves2.jpg

Which looks better since its mostly mastered but the snare lacks its previous punch. I assumed it was because at the moment *mixing stage* ive got SSD 3.5 and a Drumagog given out a snare each, both making one huge transient. Of which the limiter is clearly shafting! :lol:

Im looking for around 10-11 RMS really, im only pissing about at the moment the tracks not even finished but I want to figure out all the problems before I actually get to them so if I sort it now ill have a smooth mastering session when its done :)

I dunno then man
export both snares as 1 snare if you're happy with the sound and clip that liberally.

Yeah, its pretty shitty but this is production isnt it, every good thing has its equal reaction :p Ill leave it without top end eq so I can adjust that at least.

I might just do that for a test and if it works ill be able to sleep at night :)

I've actually "mastered" - applied Ozone (in other words) on the main mix but with the snare stem outside of ozone to retain the what transients are left (after gclip). Is that an ok approach? It seems that more of the snare pop is retained.

A long time ago I came on here and recommended GCLIP for those who wanted loud mixes without smashing their snares. But GCLIP can only take you so far. The clipping process is pretty bad for low and kicks, and adds unwanted distortions in the upper midrange.

So here's the good news.

Soon I'll be making an announcement about my new dsp company, SLATE DIGITAL... without revealing too much, we have a solution to this issue, and pretty soon everyone here will have loud mixes, with just as much snare punch as you had in the original mix..

Mm, I struggle with this depending on the mix.. sometimes I have no troubles. But usually with my own snare drums (going to blame it on not having a bottom mic? Dunno :/), the snare transient is so huge that a masterbus compressor only picks up the snare and fucks that up, and GClip needs to be set to like WAY too hard, audibly distorting it, before the snare transient is under control and I can compress/limit without messing up the whole mix :/

Other times, however, I have no troubles.

Interested in Slate's thing.

This is doing my nut in, the actual snare track isnt pushed very hard, with the Gclip on the transient is fairly small actually, but if I put a gclip on the master, the transient is huge! Thats with bussing the snare track directly to the master. So what the hells happening in between the snare track and the master track?

A long time ago I came on here and recommended GCLIP for those who wanted loud mixes without smashing their snares. But GCLIP can only take you so far. The clipping process is pretty bad for low and kicks, and adds unwanted distortions in the upper midrange.

So here's the good news.

Soon I'll be making an announcement about my new dsp company, SLATE DIGITAL... without revealing too much, we have a solution to this issue, and pretty soon everyone here will have loud mixes, with just as much snare punch as you had in the original mix..

Hmmmm.... interesting. For some reason I am reminded of Roger Nichols Digital when you mentioned the name and type of plug you were putting out.

IDK why. :D

Best of luck dude, can't wait to try it!