Why doesn't Lamb of God get more RC respect?

of all of you on this board, I think I am the one that likes instant/commercial music the most.
Mastodon is neither of them, so my dillema of them being signed to a major.

I have a feeling it is a "cool" thing to like Mastodon among the kiddies these days more than anything else.

I'm probably neck and neck with Lurch70 here in the 'liking instant/commercial music' stakes. I love Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Lamb Of God, God Forbid, Trivium, Mastodon, I like the new Soilwork and The Haunted albums... but then, I'm listening to Black Witchery right now too. :)

So, Mastodon appeals to the following (correct me where I'm wrong):

- underground fans that like a little -core perhaps (a la Neurosis)
- mainstream folks that like Lamb of God and Killswitch Engage
- Matt 99 Crew (from my age group)
- Marksveld (from my kids age group)
- IoftheStorm - being a big prog/power fan
- Nate - loving his core
- Demonspell - prog junkie
- Papa Josh - likes his Manowar, Cradle of Filth, and Dream Theater

It's pretty varied.

Now don't forget what happened to Cradle of Filth - they got signed to Sony, and then came right back into the 'underground' and landed themselves on Roadrunner. I think this same thing would happen with Dimmu.

Mastodon....I just get the feeling they'd stay out there and morph into something like Oasis meets Hatebreed, and lots of students will go for it. :loco:

the thing with Mastodon also is that they are a funny mofos ... they have some personality behind the music ... although from the gloomy tunes they write, you could never tell.

just listened to a few tracks again, and I just cannot get into them like on a "whoa" level. there is something pretentious in their tunes that is a big turnoff.

If it were any other band, I would have sold my CD by now. But just based on all the folks salivating at the mouth for them, I've kept the CD. One day maybe it will click....

JayKeeley said:
Now don't forget what happened to Cradle of Filth - they got signed to Sony, and then came right back into the 'underground' and landed themselves on Roadrunner. I think this same thing would happen with Dimmu.
Just like Sepultura, Entombed, Carcass, Morbid Angel, and a few others did in the mid-90's. Well, most of them went back to Earache I guess. :bitch: :aye-que-pinche: :I-had-to-put-a-smilie-I-don't-know-why:

lurch70 said:
of all of you on this board, I think I am the one that likes instant/commercial music the most.
Mastodon is neither of them, so my dillema of them being signed to a major.

I have a feeling it is a "cool" thing to like Mastodon among the kiddies these days more than anything else.

Agreed, I have no objections about them being on a major, except for the usual trepidation over cooperating with the big corporations...I'm sure that they'll put out something just as involving as the last two, and Sony won't have a clue how to market it (except releasing an unrepresentative track that radio will ignore anyway.) :)

JayKeeley said:
If it were any other band, I would have sold my CD by now. But just based on all the folks salivating at the mouth for them, I've kept the CD. One day maybe it will click....

This is just what I *didn't* do! I just sold my copy of Remission on EBay, somehow getting like 12 or 13 USD for it, and now I'm starting to wish I'd listened to it more. I just try to unload whatever stuff I have lying around for too long without getting many spins.