Why has metal thrived where other music has not?

OK. I can argue with myself for days, so can anyone else here give their opinions - why does metal still thrive where such music as Reggae doesn't?

Every genre has continued to live on towards the years, metal it is not special in this regard. It just so depends on where you live and what criteria you use to regard a certain music genre as dead or alive.

I agree with Ultimate_Symphony.

I think a more appropriate discussion would be how old metal material is revered and in many cases better than newer stuff, where the majority of pop music/hip-hop is quickly played out and even embarressing just a few years later.

I'm not sure what this view on hip hop is based on but it does not seem accurate to me. Pop music also has its classic songs which have never stopped being played, which are more popular than any new stuff coming out.

The majority of commercial music has a short life span by its very nature, and it happens that most commercial music is pop...

OP, you could find fifteen reggae festivals happening this year alone in five minutes if you wanted to. I'm guessing that, as a metal fan, you simply haven't looked.

e: I suppose one thing in metal's favour is that it is already socially outcast, and consequently has no dependence on current social trends to survive.

i think metal exists as long as it does because a lot of the people who listed to metal where you kow like the "freaks" and "stoners" in school or in society period. social outcasts. metal brings it all togethor and nobody really cares if your into the same metal band as i am. with as much death and destruction in the music its always building a strong bond between the fans. and of course there is regular people who like just listening to it but for a good majority i think it meant more. metal didnt care if you were fat because you had a fat metal head guitarist or singer. metal didnt care if you smoked weed because everyone did. it wasnt like pop music were its about money money money and look like a twig and have your hair perfect. metal focused on the imperfections and told you to tell those preppy pop listening punks to fuck off. i know it did for me. and thats why i got into and stayed into it. plus you also have the birth of all sub genres so instead of just metal your have speed, thrash, death, black, prog metal and so on and so on. like the dark ages the more kids you have the better chance youll name will last through the times.