Why don't people like classical music?

It's because the more imaginative among us aren't tools who only appreciate what society wants us to appreciate, and in turn many of us find beauty in what is generally kept in shadow, as well as (and often moreso than - after all, society wants us to appreciate that which is least thought-provoking and with imagination comes a thirst for being challenged mentally) in conventional happy-seaside-days-of-loving-fun music.

anonymousnick2001 said:
I prefer some Mendelssohn to most Mozart.

In a planet-sized nutshell, jazz was a reinterpretation of classical through blues scales, twisted chords, and vague modular guidelines designed for the purpose of improvisation. It's quintessentially the fusion of classical structure and folk concept.

The best part of classical music is that it accomplishes everything a piece of art should: it has depth, expression, and transcendence. Yet, the simplest folk song can unseat the grandest symphony when the concepts of purpose and taste become involved. Such is the miracle of music. Classical is simply the polar opposite of folk.

How would you describe composers who incorporate elements of folk music into classical? (Grieg for example)

Grieg, Sibelius, Bartok, Copland and all of them are classical composers though. They're writing structurally rigid work with folk melodies or folksy harmonic interplay, at least, to my knowledge they are.

Lines can be blurred, you know. It's why they were groundbreaking.

anonymousnick is right. Even though folk melodies are incorporated in a good segment of classical music, the style of the writing and playing is still very "classical" and not "folk," even though the melodies may be taken from folk music.

Valtiel said:
that was completely asinine...

It's because your comment was complete bullshit so it was hilarious. Define how a band that simply cut and pastes their songs together rather than actually using music theory comes close to classical composition methods. Please.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Grieg, Sibelius, Bartok, Copland and all of them are classical composers though. They're writing structurally rigid work with folk melodies or folksy harmonic interplay, at least, to my knowledge they are.

Lines can be blurred, you know. It's why they were groundbreaking.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to debunk your theory, I was just curious how you'd define what they did, since they did some of the things you mentioned in reference to jazz.

EDIT:

By the way, you forgot Mahler. :p

I don't really know that much about her but I might be studying with her and/or her husband Zhou Long next year. She's an oriental composer, but I haven't heard anything much of her's.

It would be interesting to see the East's equivalent to Western classical recieve the same level of international acclaim. Especially because they have their own system, their own scales, their own 22-tone octaves, structuring, and instruments, even.

The Devil's Steed said:
It's because your comment was complete bullshit so it was hilarious. Define how a band that simply cut and pastes their songs together rather than actually using music theory comes close to classical composition methods. Please.

I did mean they have the sound of being composed in classical methods, not that they actually were, I should have been more clear...

anonymousnick2001 said:
It would be interesting to see the East's equivalent to Western classical recieve the same level of international acclaim. Especially because they have their own system, their own scales, their own 22-tone octaves, structuring, and instruments, even.

Hm, do you mean all the variations on Eastern classical from the different countries?

I agree though, this would be nice.

I don't know if the Eastern folk are getting more popular but I've at least been able to track them down, and Tan Dun is getting pretty big I reckon. He did some recent movie scores (Hero and I can't remember the name of the other one). I'm pretty sure Zhou Long and Chen Yi are getting bigger and bigger though. The Kansas City Symphony is premiering one of Long's works next season.

Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistani, Turkish, Arabic, Egyptian, Cambodian, Indonesian...all forms of Eastern classical.

I've only heard Indian classical, unfortunately. Heard some Chinese folk (Okay, it was folk mixed with a few "new age" elements here and there which I don't like..but still)..but other than that and elements mixed in from other genres...nothing. Care to reccomend some artists?

Unfortunately, I myself am unfamiliar with specific artists and composers. I only know the general "feel" of the music and the instrumentation. I hate to admit, but I need to get more into it. :D