I don't get it...

I feel calling each other "opethians" is going too far. Basically, by doing that you are just labeling yourself according to a band you listen to. I hope you would have other qualities that define who you are.

I'm a Canadian. Does that limit my self-definition to something as simple as nationality? I'm Male. I'm an agnostic. I'm an Opethian.

Nobody intends the term "Opethian" to be some person-defining all-inclusive term no more so than my other provided examples. If you, as we are, are amused by creating a term that applies to being a fan of a band, then you'd be both and "Opethian" and an "Anathemian" - to suggest otherwise would be the same as to say "Well, are you an American or are you a Christian?". Opethian is just a categorization with which we feel we identify, because we've come to notice that for the most part, Opeth fans have some common charictaristics, enough so to label one as an "Opethian".

Originally posted by Opet
Lina: I don't think any of us use the term "Opethian" outside of this forum. My exact thoughts. Just because I say Opethian online, my life outside of this forum doesn't continue to revolve around the "City of The Moon." I pretty much wanted to say what E V I L said about the rest of your comments.

You, Nowlbags666, say no should call Opeth the greatest band or something or other. SHOULD seems so misused to me. When people say "this should or that should," it's like they're reminding the rest of the world of the Should Law that we've momentarily forgotten in our expression of emotions (in this case) towards music. Should? That's your opinion. No one should! anything. Should. Someone SHOULD kill that word. :bah:

O-Oh! Looks like I went off on another SHOULD tantrum. But seriously! Does anyone else understand what I'm saying with the use of this word......DAILY! Ugh!

OPETHIAN LYNN

should is a necessary word in every language. now subjectively you may like a band more than any other, and opinions may vary, but that doesn't mean it is artistically the best band around. it is actually very difficult to decide which one deserves to be called "the greatest band", so we usually prefer to limit it to what we feel more identified with, which is not incorrect, I have to clear. but it is actually wrong to label any band as the greatest around.

oh, and HoserHellspawn, what common characteristics are you talking about?

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn

Opethian is just a categorization with which we feel we identify, because we've come to notice that for the most part, Opeth fans have some common charictaristics, enough so to label one as an "Opethian".

I continue to take credit for coining the word "Opethian" - because I honestly think I did. And Hoser hit the definition square between the eyes, because that's what I was thinking when I labelled myself an Opethian.

That's your opinion. No one should! anything. Should. Someone SHOULD kill that word.

i also believe that you should not kill your mother, but hey thats only my opinion. don't be ignorant

...when you are posting here on an opeth board, which is basically a board to talk about opeth right? Are you not going round talking about a band you like? (which is your whole basis of arguament...!). Are you not showing your devotion to Opeth (...there aint' nothing wrong with it, opeth rule).

And dude, you cancel out your arguement totally when your nick references and -OPETH- song.

-Just a few thoughts for you -Opethians-.

-Trapped in a corner

I love Anathema, Katatonia, Opeth, Tenhi, Empyrium, In the Woods.., the Gathering, My Dying Bride and Ulver but I can still be objective about their work and if some albums/songs are weaker than the other ones(and why is that).

Originally posted by Trapped
...when you are posting here on an opeth board, which is basically a board to talk about opeth right? Are you not going round talking about a band you like? (which is your whole basis of arguament...!). Are you not showing your devotion to Opeth (...there aint' nothing wrong with it, opeth rule).

And dude, you cancel out your arguement totally when your nick references and -OPETH- song.

-Just a few thoughts for you -Opethians-.

-Trapped in a corner

I came here to discuss the music, not to show any devotion. don't be foolish. and this nick was the first thing who came to my head when reaching this board anyway. I like the song, but I don't worship Opeth.

I don't think anyone here really deifies Opeth in the fanatical sense to which you refer. (Not that I know of anyway). This is why. If Opeth were deified here, everything they do would be considered equally godsent and magnificent, (granted, there isn't a song I don't by Opeth), and there could be no favorites, since even making the suggestion that anything God Emperor Opeth does is less good than anything existant would be blasphemy in our eyes. Conversely, all of us have our favorite albums, least favorite albums, (BWP in my case), favorite songs, least favorite songs (demon of the fall in my case). Also, despite the fact that "Mikael is God" is that person's handle; said person has already expressed that they do not really believe in a God, (if I remember accurately, correct me if I'm wrong), or something to that effect.

I think, also, that anyone who labels himself an "Opethian" loves the essense of that which makes Opeth, Opeth. So, until Opeth begin to take on different qualities, and become a new entity altogether, (e.g. Metallica), the people who love their music will love all their music, because that is the essence which they are in love with.

Speaking for myself, I don't regard them so highly for no reason. In fact, each album I got by them, I rather disliked for a while until about 10 listens or so. But now, the emotion I derived from their music, (especially Morningrise), is unparalleled by any other feeling from any other band. For this reason, I call Opeth my favorite band, and Morningrise my favorite album, so far. If I find a band I grow to love even more than Opeth, I don't think I'll have a problem admitting it. In fact, I'd love to see the day, (that would be some damn good music!), though I doubt I will see it anytime soon, because Opeth are so different from any other band. It's a sound that exists only in Opeth.

I don't attempt to call them the greatest band ever, because I haven't heard all the bands that are, were, or will be; so I can't make that judgment. But I can say that Mikael (with Peter) is the greatest songwriter of music that I love that I have ever heard. It's all opinion-based really.

IMHO, if you really want to find a songwriter you can call the greatest ever, it would probably be a classical composer.

What is all this fuss about?

People love music, and will respect artists or other human beings who provide music.

People here love opeth music. You actually had to start thread to understand this? YOu're either fucking retarded or else you're a fucking asshole.

Read your signature. The love of music and particular preferences for bands don't have to be justified at all, and I think the people on this board (who actually do love opeth and have had a strong emotional connection to their music) have dignified you enough.

Originally posted by Leper Affinity
I truly can't get why most people get so obsessed with their favorite band. Of course I think a good band should be credited for their music, but I just can't understand why does it gets to the point all people do is keep talking about how great it is and how big is their devotion for it.

What none of you people realize is that Leper Affinity proved a great point with this thread. Look at a lot of the posts here. Some things were said about Opeth that you didn't agree with and everyone got all worked up. But why? What do you care what others think about your favorite band? It's not like it's your music that is being critiqued, it's Opeth's music. If someone told me right now that they thought Dark Tranquillity totally blew fat ape cock, I wouldn't say "You damn retard, you don't know good music," I would just except their opinion, because what someone thinks of one of my favorite bands does not reflect how they feel about me. Since I have no personal ties with DT (or Opeth), I wouldn't be offended by any bash against them. So basically, don't obsess over a band you like, and feel that you should have to defend them. By the way, I don't think anything bad was actually said about Opeth.

P.S. If you have the chance, check out Veneficum. They're an up-and-coming Chicago based Black Metal band. If you dig Dimmu Borgir, you'll love these guys.

http://www.veneficum.com/newsite/index2.html

By the way, I don't think anything bad was actually said about Opeth.

That's exactly the point, Nowlbags666. This thread wasn't about something that wasn't liked in Opeth's music. It was a slam against the people in this forum. Against they who would call themselves "Opethians". I defend myself against a direct insult like that, wouldn't you? Granted he complained about the girls who scream until they hyperventilate for Nsync, and I agree with him. If I ever saw Opeth, I would not scream (I might miss the music!) but I might have an orgasm. :lol: Well I know I would definitely be in awe. I know they are just as human as me though, and I can't help but distain the little girls who insist on exctrating their lungs at boy-band concerts, because I can't think of anything that is worth that level of excitement. This is the extreme though.

Anyway, I already posted concerning the main topic...see the previous page for that. That is my stance on this subject.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
You call it obsessed - I call it love.

What's wrong with a positive deep emotion? If a bands music moves me, I'll talk about it. That goes for anything that has an effect on me.

Of course there are fanatics, who maybe you're addressing your comments to. But I'll continue to show my passion for Opeth. Do you get passionate over anything? Or do you try hard to put on a "level head" mentality, or are you just afraid to express how you feel?

Or, am I just missing the point of this thread?

I agree with you totally!!!

Originally posted by leadfoot256
jesus.........some of you have a lot time on your hands.

I'm guessing that you also have a lot of time on your hands, being that you took the time to read this thread, and added a post of your own.

so how exactly did I insult you?

Well you didn't cut me to the core or anything. You just included anyone who considers himself an "Opethian" in your group of people who are overly obssessed and lose sight of what the music really is, or just don't care what it is anymore. I really don't think that is true of myself. But it really doesn't matter this is a pretty pointless thing to argue in such depth anyway.