I don't get it...

Jul 25, 2001
Monterrey, Mexico
I truly can't get why most people get so obsessed with their favorite band. Of course I think a good band should be credited for their music, but I just can't understand why does it gets to the point all people do is keep talking about how great it is and how big is their devotion for it.

worse are the people who take it a few levels above and lose all objectivity when it comes to their fave band. though it surely happens to a certain extent with any sort of fanatic.

You call it obsessed - I call it love.

What's wrong with a positive deep emotion? If a bands music moves me, I'll talk about it. That goes for anything that has an effect on me.

Of course there are fanatics, who maybe you're addressing your comments to. But I'll continue to show my passion for Opeth. Do you get passionate over anything? Or do you try hard to put on a "level head" mentality, or are you just afraid to express how you feel?

Or, am I just missing the point of this thread?

I guess I am like this with Opeth and Vintersorg. I agree with metalmancpa, I like to call it love as well. Although I don't talk about my big devotion.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
You call it obsessed - I call it love.

What's wrong with a positive deep emotion? If a bands music moves me, I'll talk about it. That goes for anything that has an effect on me.

Of course there are fanatics, who maybe you're addressing your comments to. But I'll continue to show my passion for Opeth. Do you get passionate over anything? Or do you try hard to put on a "level head" mentality, or are you just afraid to express how you feel?

Or, am I just missing the point of this thread?

a response to be expected. one thing is to be passionate and another to be stubborn. I have nothing against liking (or loving, whatever) a band as long as you don't just go too far with it.

at least with bands like Opeth, the "obsession" or "devotion" or etc. is justifiable. people on this board, who like to bask themselves in the warm glow of opeth and opeth related conversation/paraphernalia can ARGUE why Opeth or Vintersorg or et al. is the best band on the planet.

what's really sick is this nitwits throwing their panties at NSYNC concerts, or people fainting at Michael Jackson concerts (ok, he's good, but honestly!) or loading up on every boy band sticker shirt, book, poster, cd, and half-eaten-ebay-foodstuff there is.

there's nothing wrong with devotion to GOOD music

Originally posted by Leper Affinity
I truly can't get why most people get so obsessed with their favorite band. Of course I think a good band should be credited for their music, but I just can't understand why does it gets to the point all people do is keep talking about how great it is and how big is their devotion for it.

worse are the people who take it a few levels above and lose all objectivity when it comes to their fave band. though it surely happens to a certain extent with any sort of fanatic.

If that's the way you feel, then what's with your signature? :cool:

I see you haven't gotten my point...

at the moment Moonspell is my favorite band. they certainly compose great music and is by far one of the most underrated bands in the scene. I sure give them credit for what they've done, yet I don't go there saying Fernando Ribeiro is god or they're the best band in the planet or calling other fans "fellow moonspellians". I know there are other bands which are artistically better than them, and I consider them my fav band just because I feel very identified with them.

you know, all this fanatism may eventually lead to a loss of objectivity. hell, I'm sure if Opeth gets to release some truly god-awful album, some people would still go and buy it and say it's great. and I'm also sure most of you think Opeth is not able to release such a thing, but there's a posibility there. and I tell you, if the next Moonspell or Devil Doll album is crap, I'll be the first to admit it. and I love music as it plays a very important part in my life, but I'm devoted to the art, not just certain bands.

I don't know if I made myself clear... I really have problems when expressing my thoughts.

I think a lot of us feel camraderie here and call each other "fellow opethians" because there are few people in the world who have discovered opeth, and therefore we feel a kinship.

BUT:
i used to feel this way on The Gathering's board BEFORE "how to measure a planet" came out. after it came out, i just wasn't interested in talking about them anymore. yet, there were tons of people on there for whom the gathering could do no wrong -- even though those people supposedly HATED soft music. so, there are definitely some people who just worship a band for the sake of having something to latch on to.

Originally posted by Leper Affinity

a response to be expected. one thing is to be passionate and another to be stubborn. I have nothing against liking (or loving, whatever) a band as long as you don't just go too far with it.

My obvious question to this is : please define "too far", and then, does the world revolve around yours or my definition of too far? And my own response to my own question is : we all have to live with the fact that my feelings are right to me, and your feelings are right to you.

>My obvious question to this is : please define "too far"

That's an easy one: 'too far' is just beyond the last point where people get hurt as little as necessary.

Now you just have to define 'hurt'. =)

I feel calling each other "opethians" is going too far. Basically, by doing that you are just labeling yourself according to a band you listen to. I hope you would have other qualities that define who you are. Also, i get tired of hearing people say that Opeth is the greatest band. Opeth is excellent at what they do, but cannot be called the greatest metal band. You have to expand your horizons, check out other bands.

Originally posted by Nowlbags666
I feel calling each other "opethians" is going too far. Basically, by doing that you are just labeling yourself according to a band you listen to. I hope you would have other qualities that define who you are. Also, i get tired of hearing people say that Opeth is the greatest band. Opeth is excellent at what they do, but cannot be called the greatest metal band. You have to expand your horizons, check out other bands.

About opethians calling each other opethians, I don't mind it, in fact I think it's appropriate, not exactly so cool you want to write home about it, but an appropriate (by whatever grammatical construction) term by which people can reference "people who listen to and love Opeth music." It's not only convenient, it's very proper. Opeth= city of the moon. Residents of the city of the moon= in short, Opethians. *shrugs* makes sense.

About Opethians who regard Opeth as their favorite/greatest band, that is a mixture of personal taste and debate. Why do you presume Opethians, or "those who listen to opeth," have a narrow sense of the metal world that they need to "expand their horizons and check other bands." That's an irresponsible statement, and the only thing you reveal is this: you unlike some of us don't regard Opeth as one of your favorite bands. Or, if you do, why would you criticize those who do? *shrugs* .....tedious absurdities.

E V I L

Due to the fact that you quoted my entire post, you should have realized that I didn't say anything was wrong with claiming Opeth was your favorite band. I said no one should label them the greatest band. Also, by "expand your horizons" I mean, don't just listen to Opeth and bands of the melodic death metal genre. I've heard many people on this forum bash gore death metal, and grindcore. That's just as big a part to the metal scene as Opeth is. Some people on this forum seem to think that if you don't praise Opeth beyond a god-like status, then you must not truely like the band. I think Opeth is great, I love the music, but to call myself and Opethian and devote myself solely to one band is stupid. I love Opeth, but I also love Anathema. So do I call myself an Opethian or an Anathian.

>I've heard many people on this forum bash gore death metal,
>and grindcore.

Where at? I can't remember reading anything of the kind.

Lina: I don't think any of us use the term "Opethian" outside of this forum. My exact thoughts. Just because I say Opethian online, my life outside of this forum doesn't continue to revolve around the "City of The Moon." I pretty much wanted to say what E V I L said about the rest of your comments.

You, Nowlbags666, say no should call Opeth the greatest band or something or other. SHOULD seems so misused to me. When people say "this should or that should," it's like they're reminding the rest of the world of the Should Law that we've momentarily forgotten in our expression of emotions (in this case) towards music. Should? That's your opinion. No one should! anything. Should. Someone SHOULD kill that word. :bah:

O-Oh! Looks like I went off on another SHOULD tantrum. But seriously! Does anyone else understand what I'm saying with the use of this word......DAILY! Ugh!

OPETHIAN LYNN

OK, I guess I can be seen as a prime suspect of this post. Well, I agree with all of your posts or at least parts of them. By using "Opethian" in my name, I am merely saying that Opeth's music is a large part of my life. However, I am not limiting myself to Opeth by using the term "Opethian". I have a wide range of music. I don't regard Opeth as my favorite band or the greatest band. I listen to many artists/bands that are meaningful to me and make great music that influences my life and helps me to learn things about myself via their music. I have been a fan of TOOL for about 4 years and think they are a great band with an original sound. Since I started listening to Opeth, I have broadened my horizons and started listening to bands like Vintersorg, In Flames, Moonspell, The Gathering, Ulver, and several other bands. From this board of Opethians, I have been able to find music in places other than Opeth. Several people here spoke highly of Mr. Bungle. So, lately, I have been listening to a lot of their stuff and respect the talent of that band and specifically Mike Patton. I heard an interview he gave after a music festival about his past projects and his current project, Fantomas. He was very well-spoken and seemed like a really cool guy. I am fortunate enough to be able to see Fantomas opening for TOOL on Oct. 6 here in Charlotte. Anyway, I am sort of going away from the topic at hand. I agree with E V I L on this for obvious reasons. Also, I agree with Lina and Opet. I don't actually use the term "Opethian" anywhere but this board and on the Internet. Anyway, my post may have been pointless and just restating previous posts but I felt I needed to justify myself.