The Deal with Classical Music

Caelestia

rawr
Feb 8, 2003
svarga
Visit site
Why is it people tend to think of classical music as boring? They picture 50-smths in stuffy clothes with turned-up noses. Or is it a misconception, when in fact many people do enjoy listening but never discuss it? It's not often you hear friends who aren't music majors going, "Oh hey! Stravinsky's Rite of Spring sends me into fits of aural ecstasy!" (ok, not like anyone would say something so stupid.)

Is it because classical music doesn't get sufficient media exposure the way other genres do? Bad positioning? For Fargod's sake, if Britney had been marketed in a long black gown behind a cello, I'd bet my last dollar no one would've paid any attention. Would marketing it as badass (sorry, Rusty, badarse) make people want to listen? Or is it that sort of strategy that turns people away? It's a shame because the problem certainly isn't the music itself.

Is it because it's so bloody overwhelming? Over centuries it's expected that there must be a gargantuan collection of it. And it doesn't help that they're named in various languages or obscurely numbered. I'm positive you've come across a piece you really loved at least once, only to be frustrated and maybe even put off that you didn't know the title. Frankly, it's a pain in the arse tracking it down.

Classical CD samplers don't help either. Usually the same old numbers thrown together and labelled "best of" without much - if any - information included. There's so much more to Beethoven than just Moonlight Sonata!

Yeah, so I'm just wondering, why isn't classical music as popular as it could be? And most importantly, what would make someone want to listen?

I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks :)

i don't have an opinion on this subject. but i love li's use of fargod, and i think marketing stravinsky as an adolescent whore with a boob job would do miracles for his sales.

Ethereal Sage said:
You go, girl!
:lol:

thanks, rahvin dear. someone tried that approach, making the composers tough buggers. the idea was shot down, cut to pieces and ground with salt to rub in his wound. poor guy.

i'm a fan of classical music. actually my tastes run from the power metal (wagner, that is) to the ambient (grieg) to the prog (bach - there's something about the goldberg variations that screams "this is what dream theater would like to do but will never actually manage") to the plain you-cannot-seriously-not-like-this, a bit like iron maiden (mozart, esp. symphony n. 41). then again, i might also match li's stuck-up definition, only i'm not 50ish.

still, i listen to more punk rock and metal than classical. and why is that? honestly, for me the phenomenon is twofold:

1 - you need one hell of a stereo to properly play classical, even if it's something uncomplex. you cannot really blast the dies irae on an everyday portable cd player and be satisfied. since i don't go around with a set of €250 sennheiser headphones all the time, classical is a no-go in crucial moments such as, say, my motorbike ride to work. ew.

2 - i use music as a power-up tool; i choose stuff to put me in some specific mood (normally, aggressive), distract me from other thoughts, etc.
while classical can be effectively used to this end, at least for me knowing the songs and basically humming along to them in my head is very important for the whole psyche-up process to work. since classical pieces are not that short or that easy to remember, i normally end up using punk rock or rammstein to get kicks, and classical is left for the worknights at home as background, which again is stupid because i never really pay enough attention to be able to recycle it in a different way.

Silly Li, this is Ultimate Metal, not Ultimate Classical.com.

It sends me into fits of aural ecstasy. :) I think it gets great exposure, you just need to look out for it like any music that is not mainstream.

I am, in fact, a fan of classical music (that whole genre, not just that time period ..before anyone starts pointing out technicalities :rolleyes: ). And I myself find a lot of it to be quite boring. It's just like any other genre.. I mostly listen to heavy metal but a lot of it sucks too.

I do believe that if it got more exposure, a lot more people would indeed find a liking for it ..and the same goes for metal.

So whats your favourite? Neo Classical, Modern, Romantic, Classical, or Baroque? I really dig some baroque only because I can picture ace metal bands transcribing the melodies into awesome folky jigs. Romantic is best to listen to on a whole though I think.

Jo said:
I think it gets great exposure, you just need to look out for it like any music that is not mainstream.
not where i live. it doesn't help that classical radio show announcers sound like they're loaded on tranquilizers :lol: