Classical music appreciation thread.

Ethereal Sage

Mind Of Out Sight Of Out
Dec 30, 2001
In a cacoon
Visit site
We all know that classical music affects the bands we love, direcetly or indirecetly. I wish to make a thread where we may benefit from information concerning classical artists who have shaped and influenced the musical expressions we hear today.

Please post any names and tracks of classical artists who you think have played an important role in shaping their 'future' of music...any artist who you feel has pushed the boundaries of their era of sonic communication, or at least made a name for themselves (even posthumasly) in capturing the spirit of their time in music.

I NEED/LOVE classical music, but am at a loss with names of specific pieces of lasting impression.

Let us all help each other to explore the roots of our current addictions :worship:

P.S.: I will edit and make more sense when I am less inebriated :p

I'm not a classical expert. This genre can be overwhelming and intimidating. Also doesn't help that many pieces were named with numbers, heh. But one of my all-time favourites to listen to is "Moonlight Sonata." Other cliched responses include Carmina Burana, Barber's Adagio for Strings, Swan Lake, Beethoven's symphonies, Chopin's nocturnes, Bach's Toccata & Fugue in Dm, and some Arvo Part and Schubert pieces whose titles I can't recall now. The classical pieces I like are largely from the classical and romantic period.

I have no idea if it's important or not, but I am ridiculously fond of Smetana's "The bartered bride" and Tjajkovskij's (sorry, I know you English-speaking people transcribe his name differently) "Piano Concerto No. 1"

I listen to Richard Clayderman when growing up, so I got a taste of classical music, piano-wise.

As for a big influence, I got to give credit to the Looney Tunes cartoons for introducing a lot of good classical music.

loon
Arch said:
I listen to Richard Clayderman when growing up, so I got a taste of classical music, piano-wise.

As for a big influence, I got to give credit to the Looney Tunes cartoons for introducing a lot of good classical music.
Haha, my mum listened to Mr. Clayderman too. As for Looney Tunes... Fiiiiigaro Fiiiiiigarooo!! :tickled:

*appreciates*

Salamurhaaja said:
I like Ravels "sex music" :D

:lol:

I don´t know if the following artists/pieces influenced any metal musician, but I like them anyhow:

G. Puccini: Manon Lescaut (especially sung by the couple of Kiri Te Kanawa/Placido Domingo)
J. Pachelbel: Canon.. and in general lots of church music

I like music of Edvard Grieg and Jean Sibelius, but I haven´t learned much of it, yet. My favourite classical singer of all times is Kiri Te Kanawa, whatever she may sing, her voice is so warm and still powerful, never shrill, and she says anything with the tone of her voice. I wish I had seen her live once..

about a week ago I heard on the radio a piece by Johann Friedrich Fasch. I have no idea what the correct title of this piece was, i only remember that it was in minor and for bassoons.
and it was a very majestic piece. I've kept searching for it since then :lol:

Chopin's Nocturne in E Flat..

This has the power to reduce me to tears.

The contrast between the innocence of the melody and the power and advancement of his tonal interplay is just heartbreaking, almost like looking back at ones childhood from now adult eyes.

It makes me think of an old black and white film of a toddler or young child taking their first steps... beautiful. :'(