best classical pieces/symphonies

Aug 16, 2002
Richmond, Va
Visit site
What pieces/symphonies, in everyone's opinions, are the top of the pile when it comes to Classical music?

I figure I can get a reasonably good opinion here, since I know so many people here appreciate Classical as they should.

Thanks in advance.

being that my classical tastes are focused around the romantic period and later my favorite piece are prolly mahlers 1st symphony and stravinsky's rite of spring. however i cant really pick. especially when it comes to mahler. he wrote some really genius stuff. i also really like wagner, who manowar calls the fathers of metal and you cant really deny that either, and schuman. specifically, schuman's nocturns
~gR~

For me... it has to be the Most "comercial" composer...
Beethoven... almost all of his symphonies fucking rule.. in second place. Johan Strauss, i can't remember the name of any of his master pieces... my mom gave me a CD years ago as a gift, but i can't remember the name of the songs... Then... there is VIVALDI and his 4 seasons... just amazing. I'm not a big fan of music from that period of time, baroque i think it is (did i spell it right?).

I'm more a clasical piano fan.. and i preffer "flamenco" and clasical guitarr from spain.

And of course: Grieg, Mozart, the guy from the NUT cracker (i can't write his name: thchavkosky??).

tchaikosvky i think is how its spelled.

and yes, vivaldi was a baroque (you spelled it right) era musician/composer. im not too fond of baroque era either. its too bouncy and happy. unless you count bach's organ fugues, those are down right evil. hehe. but generally in the baroque era it was not proper and against the rules to use alot of the minor chords and progressions, because it was the devils music. minor seconds i believe were the big no no hehe. but bach started to push those boundries and open the doors for mozart and bethoven in the classical era.
~gR~

Bartok's string quartets are lovely...He can make you cringe with his dissonance.
Rachmaninoff and Chopin have great piano pieces.

Faure - Pavane
Sibelius - Finlandia

are two of my faves.

Aside from the obvious (Mozart's Requiem etc)

I've been listening to a ton of Opera lately, current favorites:

Wagner's Ring Cycle

Berlioz- The Damnation of Faust

Gustav Holst- Savitri

Handel- Tamerlano

Non-Opera Favorites:

Beethoven- Symphony No. 9

Brahms- German Requiem

Britten- War Requiem

Grieg- Peer Gynt Suites 1 & 2

Holst- Choral Hymns From the Rig Veda and The Dream City

Sibelius- Finlandia, The Karelia Suite and Four Legends

Richard Strauss- Also Sprach Zarathrusta

Beethoven is the all round best composer. Bach is my favourite because I like the organ sound.
Beethoven's 5th is easily the best piece of classical music ever. I also like Vivaldi-4 Seasons.

What does this have to do with Metal?

Dangit, I typed out a good long post about this and it "coudn't find server" and I'm not typing it again. :mad:
If you really care, ask later and I'll try again.

Quartet for the End of Time- or Chronochromie by Messiaen

Pierrot Lunaire by Arnold Schoenberg

And I love, yes love the deconstructionist, electronic symphonic music by Stockhausen- Mantra, Stimmung etc.

Bartok is excellent whomever mentioned him- and Barber's Adagio for strings is quite beautiful

Bach - Air
should be a very famous one (and one of the few classical pieces I know ;) ). very beautiful. Corelli and Vivaldi are good, too

I like these composers and have listed some of my favorite pieces by them
Modeste Mussorgsky : Night on Bald Mountain
Antonin Dvorak : New World Symphony
Dimitri Kabalevsky : Requiem for Those Who Died in the War Against Fascism
Colas Breugnon Overture(for those of you that play music this piece is performed at 144 cut time, at least that's what we played it at to start. the conductor was trying to slow us down as we performed it. we figured we were at about 180 or so when we finished :yell: )
Georg Frideric Handel : Water Music and of course Messiah