Why People Like Metal

Heavy Metal/Metal cannot be ignored by anyone as it demands a reaction from the listener. I like it because I like it and don't like Lady Gaga's tripe because it is tripe.

I got into metal because I couldn't afford to buy G-Unit's new album so I went ahead and bought a cool-looking Abigor album in the used section as it was only 5 dollars.

I like metal because I was just a teenager with no direction in life, I was failing at school, then I met this girl called Noel
I have a dream about her
She rings my bell
I got gym class in half an hour
Oh how she rocks
In Keds and tube socks
But she doesn't know who I am
And she doesn't give a damn about me

Cause I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby
Yeah I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby
Listen to Iron Maiden baby with me

Her boyfriend's a dick
And he brings a gun to school
And he'd sI'mply kick
My ass if he knew the truth
He lives on my block
And he drives an Iroc
But he doesn't know who I am
And he doesn't give a damn about me

Cause I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby
Yeah I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby
Listen to Iron Maiden baby with me

Yeeah dirtbag, no she doesn't know what she's missin

Man I feel like mold
It's prom night and I am lonely
Low and behold
She's walking over to me
This must be fake
My lip starts to shake
How does she know who I am
And why does she give a damn about

I've got two tickets to Iron Maiden baby
Come with me Friday, don't say maybe
I'm just a teenage dirtbag baby like you

People here have at least one thing in common: stupidity.

I like metal for many reasons. Here's my trying-to-be-intellectual answer -

First of all I got into metal about 6-7 years ago. The roots are actually much longer in history, because my dad and my cousin used to listen rock / metal when I was just a little kid. But 6 years ago (I was 16-year-old that time) I started to realize that world wasn't just as naive and funny place anymore as I had grown and realize the social economy and all in all how the world was full of unfair things happening everywhere I looked.

That's when my musical taste changed into more aggressive form, which was metal. I became addict for metal, a metalhead. I started to like different genres (that's 1 reason btw why metal is so great, it has so much variety) like heavy metal and industrial metal and alternative metal. But most I started to like folk metal.

Here's a list I concider to contain the facts why people like metal:

1. its raw / brutal / energetic and full of force
2. it has so many different types and genres which are evolving all the time and new genres are being made up
3. it tells us about things that other music doesn't (at least not with the same power): sex, drugs, death, satanism, anti-religious, violence and aggressions, hate, but also good things like love, fantasy and mighty battles
4. it's concidered bad and evil which makes it exciting for those who are not scared
5. it's kind of music of the outsiders, those people who want to be or are naturally different than most of the others
6. It has lots of low bass sounds, very talented players, nice melodies, catchy riffs, guitar solos, drumming like hell and screaming / groaning / yelling singing, and lots of speed (unless its stoner metal or something :D)
7. you name it

- miekka18

By sex I did not mean today but historically when metal was coming to it's form in the late 60's and started to tell us about sex (yeah hippies did too) but a lot have changed until then. Sex is a good thing imo :D

) I started to realize that world wasn't just as naive and funny place anymore as I had grown and realize the social economy and all in all how the world was full of unfair things happening everywhere I looked.

Finding emotional comfort in music, metal in particular, is something not many people admit to. Life really sucks sometimes, so we have music to lift us back up when it does. I don't care how corny it sounds or what other people here think but that is really why I got into metal intially and what has kept me listening to it. So I can relate.

Finding emotional comfort in music, metal in particular, is something not many people admit to. Life really sucks sometimes, so we have music to lift us back up when it does. I don't care how corny it sounds or what other people here think but that is really why I got into metal intially and what has kept me listening to it. So I can relate.
Yep. That's exactly what I get from listening metal. Emotional comfort.

Metal seems to be more concerned with creating or capturing complex, definite worlds, ideas, and emotional states, and combining them in meaningful ways than other contemporary genres I've heard. And, I'm just partial to the particular worlds and ideas metal chooses to explore.

I listen to metal because alot of it is highly emotionally charged, which is good. The darkness of much metal music evokes images of bleak places and present the tragedy inherent in these tales through an appropriate musical medium, that is to say, the heavy aspects of the instrumentation are perfectly suited to the above mentioned themes. On the flipside of the coin I quite enjoy the more "uplifting" and inspiring aspects of power metal, mainly due to the positive emotions contained within the genre.

The fact of the matter is that I find an artists ability to create new, or different landscapes (and thus allow the listener to be "transported" to worlds as fantastical or gritty as the artists wishes), to be far more important than their ability to appeal to the mainstream or to play their instruments amazingly.

Heavy Metal/Metal cannot be ignored by anyone as it demands a reaction from the listener. I like it because I like it and don't like Lady Gaga's tripe because it is tripe.

Do you have any idea how amny prominent Granks are gay?