Why has no one attempted to organize a thrash fest in the US?

johnfrank1970

Jan 10, 2002
Madison, WI
welcome.to
I was getting shit at the MDF forum for attending the fest for only four bands: Exhorder, Nuclear Assault, Voivod, and Coroner. What can I say - I am a huge fan of classic thrash.

In fact, the genres with the highest hit-to-miss ratio for me are thrash and complex death. Now, a complex death fest would likely not do very well because that genre is not very popular overall.

I am somewhat surprised that no one has tried to organize a thrash fest though (other than Thrash of the Titans, of course). Seems like there would be enough of an audience for such a fest. Also, many thrash fans are older and have enough money to travel.

Any opinions on this? Would you go to a thrash fest? Ideally, it would be a mix of some US exclusives (first time in the US, newly reformed, etc.) and North American bands. A killer, yet possibly feasible (?) lineup for my tastes could be drawn from the following bands:

North American bands (all except Agent Steel, Anacrusis, Exhorder, and Sacrifice, however, have toured the US recently)

Agent Steel
Anacrusis
Death Angel
Exhorder
Exodus
Flotsam and Jetsam
Forbidden
Heathen
Nuclear Assault
Overkill
Sacrifice
Testament

There has been some talk of these bands reforming

Faith or Fear
Powermad
Toxik
Dark Angel
Holy Terror

And I'll throw in some US power metal with thrashy tendencies

Helstar
Sanctuary

Now the less popular North American bands

Vektor (tours US regularly, so not as exciting)
Warbringer (tours US regularly, so not as exciting)
Bonded by Blood (tours US regularly, so not as exciting)
Havok (tours US regularly, so not as exciting)
Judgment Hammer
Corruptor
Untimely Demise
Vindicator
Fueled by Fire
Horfixion
Prototype

European bands

Artillery
Mekong Delta
Onslaught
Sabbat
Tankard
Destruction (tours US regularly, so not as exciting)
Kreator (tours US regularly, so not as exciting)

Not thrash, but close enough

King Diamond

Now the less popular bands from outside North America

Violator
Witchery
Legion of the Damned
Hexen
Angelus Apatrida
Imbalance
Negligence
Gama Bomb
Prayers of Sanity
Suicidal Angels
Korzus
Nuclear

King Diamond isn't close enough. He has nothing to do with thrash.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind this. Hell there's a number of bands there I would go just for them

- Mekong Delta
- Toxik
- Dark Angel
- ARTILLERY!!!!
- Helstar

It would be like every other U.S. fest and no one would go. But it would be nice to see.
Anacrusis should be on Progpower

In addition to ProgPower, aren't Maryland Deathfest and New England Metal and Hardcore Festival successful?

I believe I saw on Facebook that Anacrusis showed some interest in PPUSA, but it went nowhere. I could be wrong. I'd certainly love to see them in Atlanta. Artillery would be amazing as well.

King Diamond isn't close enough. He has nothing to do with thrash.

Heh heh. Back in the day, I did not really make much of a distinction between Abigail and Them and the more classic thrash I was listening to. I realize, however, that there is a difference between King and Testament or Heathen. I just really want to see King live! I never caught any of his tours back then, unfortunately.

Heh heh. Back in the day, I did not really make much of a distinction between Abigail and Them and the more classic thrash I was listening to. I realize, however, that there is a difference between King and Testament or Heathen. I just really want to see King live! I never caught any of his tours back then, unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I too really want to see him live. He's definitely in my top three of bands I really want to see, probably second to Saxon.

It would be like every other U.S. fest and no one would go. But it would be nice to see.
Anacrusis should be on Progpower

:rolleyes: and then you wonder why I question you every time you give your sunlight-filled opinions on the business... No offense, but do you also tell your bands "Hey guys, let's release a CD, but don't play live shows as nobody is going to attend them. In fact, nobody's going to buy the albums either, but let's just go ahead and do it anyways..." ??

That being said, I agree with you if you're talking about the festivals that:

a) are stuck with bands from 20 something years ago that are completely irrelevant, save for the half dozen guys who like them.

b) small, DIY type of festivals with bands that are as obscure as a black hole and a bunch of high-school locals.

However, if you have the know-how, balls and a bit of a "CAN DO" attitude, it is doable. I think ProgPower, MDF, New England Metal & Hardcore Fest (to cite a few) have proven you wrong big time.

Deathangel, Overkill and Testament? Together? Hell YEAH, I'd go!

Now that you've done all the research, someone go forth and do this! XD

Can't you combine thrash with your Widdly Widdly Graaaaaggghhh Fest? You could do like Milwaukee Metal Fest or whatever it was that had bands on two stages right next to each other at the same time. It's not like anyone could tell the difference anyway, and it might lead to a whole new subgenre of complex thrashdjentdeath :p

Ken

Can't you combine thrash with your Widdly Widdly Graaaaaggghhh Fest? You could do like Milwaukee Metal Fest or whatever it was that had bands on two stages right next to each other at the same time. It's not like anyone could tell the difference anyway, and it might lead to a whole new subgenre of complex thrashdjentdeath :p

Ken

Heh, I will definitely never be the organizer of a fest. I almost get divorced every time I even *attend* a metal festival. :Spin:

True enough. They pack that place every year. Lots of "Mallcore kids" in Worcester! :lol:

Well, yes and no... There's a different between "mallcore kids" and kids who like bands that are metal and/or hardcore.

NEMHF always has at least a few good bands. Maybe not enough to justify the trip, but it's a fun festival. This year I particularly don't care for it, but that's another story... There's quality acts playing there every year, whether we like them or not or agree or not that they're indeed "metal."

The N.E. Fest has way too much hardcore/metalcore for my tastes. I check the line up and pass every year

I quit going because just about every band on the bill that I wanted to see was touring through here anyway, either right before or right after. Before that (2000, 2001, 2002) there were more exclusive appearances.

In addition to ProgPower, aren't Maryland Deathfest and New England Metal and Hardcore Festival successful?

I believe I saw on Facebook that Anacrusis showed some interest in PPUSA, but it went nowhere. I could be wrong. I'd certainly love to see them in Atlanta. Artillery would be amazing as well.

Sure they are successful but there are more "attempts" at festivals that go unnoticed. But to be fair it is also all they are promoter or in most cases not promoted.
I had a couple of conversations with the guitarist from Anacrusis last year; he told me he had tried to contact Progpower but never heard anything back from anyone. If that were the case seems unfortunate because they are one of the few truely progressive metal bands in the U.S. and the bands range could have mass appeal.

If that were the case seems unfortunate because they are one of the few truely progressive metal bands in the U.S. and the bands range could have mass appeal.

I never received any contact. Even if I have no interest in booking the band, I always reply and thank the band for their email. It's a matter of professional courtesy.