Why is a broadcast mic the most favored vox mic?

probably because the frequency response of broadcast mics like the sm7, re20 and whatever else are specifically tailored for capturing the human voice, and really nothing else

I've been planning on picking up an SM7 soon, but is just dawned on me that I've never even tried to record screaming with my RE20. I imagine that it could be pretty good? Has anyone tried it?

i've never actually used an RE20, but they seem to prized on many of the same sources as the SM7, so i'd definitely be trying it one vocals if i had one around

As far as I remember, the vocals on Blood Sugar Sex Magic was also tracked with a SM7, and it does sound good on Kiedis as well.

cool that helps. i got a girl who wants to do like lilly allen type vocals.

hey i need as much production practice lol. she has like a girly girl jazzy "tryin to be ella" voice. obviously she's not anywhere near that calibre but in that style. considering i have an sm7 and can get access to a ksm 44 what do you guys suggest?

i actually have a sound on sound issue laying around with an interview with mark ronson (producer) and it was quite informative. i'm gonna see if i can find it to see what some techniques he used was. i love heavy metal, playing it, listneing to it, but i mean it's also cool to expand.

i picked up the lily allen and amy winehouse cds and the mark ronson solo album and the whole "elevator music" vintage drums and bells and 50's style barbershop tunes are sa sig of mark ronsons productions and i think it's cool. it's also great how he extraced good melodic content from both vocalists who otherwise would have crap voices. i remember reading that all the horns were recorded in a mock live room with like 5 trumpet players in a little hot 98 degree room and that he thinks the sweating and humidity helped the vibe. weird.

she has like a girly girl jazzy "tryin to be ella" voice. obviously she's not anywhere near that calibre but in that style. considering i have an sm7 and can get access to a ksm 44 what do you guys suggest?

i'd probably try the LDC before the SM7 for female vox...it's going to be more likely to get that detailed/airy thing going on

unless, of course, that's not what you're looking for

Back to the topic...
I have a theory about growls and screams. I guess LCD tend to reveal too much details and thus let you hear the tricks. I personally hate when I can hear the guy faking it. Well all know how it's done and I don't care but I need to tricked into believing that the guy is actually bleeding from the inside. So I guess dynamic microphones such as SM7 are more forgiving.
My 2 cents. Just a theory.