Why is album popularity such a bad thing, even in the underground?

Primordial's on Metal Blade and their last album was produced by the same guy as... some bands that I don't remember the names of, but he wasn't who one would have expected... and you don't see people dismissing THEM!

General Zod said:
Earlier today I posted about Lamb of God, and asked why they don't get more respect around here. Personally, I believe that if "Ashes of the Wake" was a self-produced debut, from some band in Norway, that was only available on eBay or through some obscure distributor in Croatia, people around here would be talking up that disc to no end. However, since LoG is on Metal Blade, their videos on MTV2, they're American and they were on Ozzfest, their perceived with either ambivalence or disdain. I'm sure plenty of folks will disagree with me, but that's my take on it.
Correct. I never have and never will understand why people judge anything but the actual music produced. I could care less if every Britney Spears fan on the planet suddenly fell in love with Kyuss, I'd still love them just the same. If anything I'd try to scheme some 17 year old pussy out of the deal, but that's beside the point.

General Zod said:
I think BWD's post summarized it best. Part of the appeal of the underground, is it's just that. Those who listen to underground music, often hold some contempt for those that don't. And when music that was once embraced by the underground finds a wider audience, it's often shunned by its original followers.

Yes, this is correct, but confine it to just the underground (before it hits the mainstream) and the same occurs. It's like a parameter within a parameter: it's ok to like something if it's underground, but only if a smaller underground audience appreciates it.

Slaughter of the Soul is a good example. It's not mainstream, but pretty much 90% of the underground likes it. Therefore, it must be completely dismissed by the remaining 10%.

Earlier today I posted about Lamb of God, and asked why they don't get more respect around here. Personally, I believe that if "Ashes of the Wake" was a self-produced debut, from some band in Norway, that was only available on eBay or through some obscure distributor in Croatia, people around here would be talking up that disc to no end. However, since LoG is on Metal Blade, their videos on MTV2, they're American and they were on Ozzfest, their perceived with either ambivalence or disdain. I'm sure plenty of folks will disagree with me, but that's my take on it.

No, it's really simply because of the -core elements. Bands like Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, All that Remains, God Forbid, Killswitch Engage are the nu-nu-metal.

[Granted, I like some of it, but overall it's pretty meh to me. It's like 'close, but no cigar' music.] I mean, as an example, if you're going to invest time listening to Lamb of God, why not just use that time to listen to Testament instead?

JayKeeley said:
[Granted, I like some of it, but overall it's pretty meh to me. It's like 'close, but no cigar' music.] I mean, as an example, if you're going to invest time listening to Lamb of God, why not just use that time to listen to Testament instead?

OR by your logic, why not just listen to both?

Demilich said:
Primordial's on Metal Blade and their last album was produced by the same guy as... some bands that I don't remember the names of, but he wasn't who one would have expected... and you don't see people dismissing THEM!
I didn't say it was solely because they were on Metal Blade. I listed that along with a grouping of other reasons. None of which, by the way, would apply to Primordial.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
No, it's really simply because of the -core elements. Bands like Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, All that Remains, God Forbid, Killswitch Engage are the nu-nu-metal.
I get why all the other bands you mentioned could be categorized as having "Core" elements. However, I don't hear it with Lamb of God. Is it guilt by association? Is it the fact that the singer has short hair? Is there something tangible, musically, that can be pointed out? Because the only difference I hear between LoG and a band like Nightrage, is that Nightrage is one dimensional.

Zod

Lamb of God sounds like a sped up Pantera to my ears. And the fact that I think Pantera are for the most part poo. It doesn't help their case. You can like them all ye want though.

I've tried giving all these hyped up metalcore bands a chance. Everything from "These arms are snakes" to "Remembering Never" to As I lay Dying, yadda yadda yadda. It's got to be some of the most irritating shit I ever heard. Give me Godsmack and Staind over this emo on steroids bullshit anyday.

And how dare you guys say the name Primordial and Lamb of God in the same sentence!!! That's metal blasphemy! Now say 20 hail Nemtheanga's to atone! :)

Atlas Shrugged said:
Lamb of God sounds like a sped up Pantera to my ears. And the fact that I think Pantera are for the most part poo. It doesn't help their case. You can like them all ye want though.
And everyone can dislike them as much as they wish. My only issue is with people dismissing them as Core and not giving them a fair chance.

Atlas Shrugged said:
Give me Godsmack and Staind over this emo on steroids bullshit anyday.
Really? To me, both are crap versions of AiC.

Atlas Shrugged said:
And how dare you guys say the name Primordial and Lamb of God in the same sentence!!! That's metal blasphemy! Now say 20 hail Nemtheanga's to atone! :)
That's awesome. :worship:

Zod

Dismissing anything because of a genre name is idiotic. Dismissing Lamb of God because of their -core influence is even worse because they have no more hardcore influence than Slayer, Testament, or Megadeth ever did. Note: I don't much care for them, but that's not the point.
General Zod said:
Really? To me, both are crap versions of AiC.
Amen, brother. :Smokedev:

Lamb of God are NOT core or nu-metal ... I think some of you passing judgement on them have not actually heard them.
Good band, crisp stuff ... just the way I like it.

They are like a modern day Pantera ... the singer even looks like an older version of Phil

While I do believe popularity and overexposure distort people into denying that a mainstream favorite can be serious art, renouncing something after it attains popularity is dumb unless you don't feel any personal attachment towards it anymore.

I gave LoG a fair chance. Two, in fact. I just don't see what the big deal is. THey aren't doing anything special. If I want Pantera, I'll listen to the shitty original version.

And this coming from a guy who has a bunch of -core albums, yes, there is -core in LoG's sound.

Deny it all you want, though. No skin off my back.

Demilich said:

Neurosis, for one.

Everyone should read A Rebours (translated into English as Against Nature or Against the Grain) by Joris-Karl Huysmans (yes, he is pompous because he is French). It came out in the late nineteenth century and basically started the whole decadence/aestheticism movement in Europe. It's about a pompous, arrogant aristocrat who becomes fed up with society, sex, the bourgeoise and everything he's experienced in life, so he does what any cultured intellectual-elitist would do: he shuts himself into a Chatueax completely isolated from society. Here he partakes in the fruits of aesthetic/sensual experience: a wide variety of perfumes, paintings, books, music, jewelry... basically every sensual pleasure imaginable. He even has a tortoise whose shel is encrusted with exotic jewelry and a "liquor symphony" where by playing different notes on his organ he can release a kaliedoscope of different liquors into his mouth! Basically, the novel is about this pompous asshole who does everything he can to go against society's norms and fulfilling his own excessive indulgences... and how he ends up. It's one of the most bizarre and twisted books ever written and it's fucking awesome. One could only imagine how Oscar Wilde or WB Yeats would have turned out had this book never been written.

I'm going to give Lamb of God more of a chance. I certainly haven't dismissed them (based only on their latest album), but yes, I admit to grouping them with bands like God Forbid and Shadows Fall. If I'm wrong, then great. (Although some God Forbid is ok).

Demilich said:
OR by your logic, why not just listen to both?

Well, it's all a matter of time. Why listen to 2 albums (1 great, 1 average) when you can listen to 2 albums (1 great, 1 great). :loco:

JayKeeley said:
Sure but the *music* is locked in history. Once recorded and released, it is sealed within a vacuum as such. No matter what In Flames do today, nobody can change what music exists on The Jester Race (as example).

unless your dimmu borgir. they plan to remake stormblast. I'm curious if they original will remain in print. Also with all the george lucas remixed/remastered reissues its getting to the point where the original version isn't as important. My evidence is the arcturus reissues on candlelight.

General Zod said:
I think BWD's post summarized it best. Part of the appeal of the underground, is it's just that. Those who listen to underground music, often hold some contempt for those that don't. And when music that was once embraced by the underground finds a wider audience, it's often shunned by its original followers.

Agreed as far as the majority of underground fans I've spoken with are concerned. I will say this though - for me it's all a matter of taste. The fact that most of the music I love happens to be considered "underground" metal is mainly a coincidence. I loved bands like Metallica, Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, et al in the 80's and early 90's when those bands were selling millions of albums. I don't love their classic albums any less in retrospect because I'm now mainly an "underground" metal fan. If Opeth sold 5 million or 10 copies of Morningrise, I'd love it every bit as much.

General Zod said:
I think in the case of In Flames, their blatant sell out has left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, to the point where it's tainted the way their earlier works are viewed.

Ah..... and herein lies the true "sellout" effect. To me, "selling out" is not a byproduct of becoming more commercially appealing simply because your music has been discovered and appreciated by the masses. No, "selling out" to me is completely changing your look, attitude and musical styles in a move that reflects a pure attempt to become more commercially appealing by changing who you are to conform. While it's understandable that in your lifetime you want to be as successful as you can and acquire as much wealth as possible, it is an attitude that earns you much disrespect in the "underground" metal music community.

In Flames is a perfect example of that. I guarantee you that 9 years ago, if you had told Anders Friden that he would be wearing dreadlocks, actiing like a primaddona and encouraging In Flames to incorporate more synths and less melodic guitar leads into their sound, while trying to land tours with the likes of Slipknot, Mudvayne and so forth, he would have told you that you were crazy and that In Flames would never "sell out". What bothers me the most is that I don't think In Flames needed to go so far to be as successful as they've become. I truly believe the sound displayed on Clayman was enough to propel them into the spotlight, while at the same time not deviating too far from the style that brought them so many "underground" fans to begin with. If they had just stayed along those lines, I believe they would've become even MORE popular because they would've continued to be successful without being so shunned in our community.