Why is everyone buying HS80M's?

I love my Hs 80`s to, they have a little bit too much highs but there is a high cut trim and i cut -2 db there. I don`t have experience with other brands and models just the KRK RP6`s that i had before the Yamies, and now my mixes translate better.
MSP`s are double the price of HS`s here and i can`t afford them, but i heard mixed opinions on them...

Well, as I was buying my hs80's i had a chance to compare to msp5's (meh, sounded like a toys'r'us version of a monitor), alesis m1 (double meh), krk rokit8 (i'd never use those for doing mixes, colours the sound a bit too much, might be good for casual listening though) so i went with the hs80s.

Anywho, i'm listening to music/mixes though the hs80's everyday for the last two years, and found them ear fatiguing, might be my age and <17Khz hearing :D

Well, as I was buying my hs80's i had a chance to compare to msp5's (meh, sounded like a toys'r'us version of a monitor)

LMAO. GTFO! I can see that some of you don't understand that an accurate monitor and a "good" sounding monitor are 2 different things.

index_ph_01.jpg

Being a condescending asshole isn't going to help dude. :lol:
Just because you didn't like the HS80Ms doesn't mean they are bad monitors. Most people love them, and if people can make great sounding mixes while using them, then the speakers are doing the job right, aren't they? Monitors don't have to be perfectly flat to be useful tools for production. The NS10 is an obvious example.

I never said the HS80's weren't good monitors. They are good monitors on a budget. I just think you get a lot more for your money with the MSP's and I'm trying to make people aware of that.

gixxsta04: I have to ask, so please don't take offense... Is your room treated?

No offense taken. Yes, I have 2'x4' bass traps made from 4" OC703 in every corner of my room and spanning the ceiling/wall joints. Maybe the HS80's could be helpful to those with untreated rooms due to their huge low end response. Personally I would never try to compensate the room with different monitors. I'd go straight to the problem and install acoustic treatment. I am actually in the process of installing more bass and broadband traps in my own room.

Another thing I'd like to mention about the HS80 Vs MSP7 is this:
The port holes are on the back of the HS80s. This means the bass hits the wall before it hits your ear. We all know that reflections are bad. The ports on the MSP7's are on the front for what its worth.

Where did I call your monitors toys?

Sorry man, I quoted the wrong user.

Yes, I have 2'x4' bass traps made from 4" OC703 in every corner of my room and spanning the ceiling/wall joints. Maybe the HS80's could be helpful to those with untreated rooms due to their huge low end response. Personally I would never try to compensate the room with different monitors. I'd go straight to the problem and install acoustic treatment.

Another thing I'd like to mention about the HS80 Vs MSP7 is this:
The port holes are on the back of the HS80s. This means the bass hits the wall before it hits your ear. We all know that reflections are bad. The ports on the MSP7's are on the front for what its worth.

Sorry man, I quoted the wrong user.

You can go on and on and on about how bad those monitors are. The are GREAT, not everybody likes them. Thats fine. Just test a couple of different monitors and you will be satisfied.

/ Thread end

I agree. That is sort of the reason I started this thread. Seems like everyone around here pushes the HS80's and I wanted to make people aware of some other options.

/thread

LMAO. GTFO! I can see that some of you don't understand that an accurate monitor and a "good" sounding monitor are 2 different things.

index_ph_01.jpg

I can understand that the msp's might be more accurate (and so are ns10) but my ears went with the hs80's and so be it, haven't heard from anyone that my mixes sound bad.

btw. now i remembered that those were msp3's not msp5's, still not a reason for beeing an a'hole

Maybe the HS80's could be helpful to those with untreated rooms due to their huge low end response.

Um, surely a monitor with a big low end response is actually going to make the problem of having an untreated room worse by overloading it with bass? Not better. At least that was my experience with my Alesis M1MkII's.

nope makes the problem even worse.

AWARE. Some people will tend to go with bassier monitors if their low end is getting lost due to reflections. Like I said, I wouldn't do it myself.

I can see you guys are very set in your ways with these goddamn HS80's. I won't speak another word of them or the MSP's. Not worth wasting my time.

I'll echo the sentiments of the HM80M's not having the most flattest response, though translating quite well compared to other monitors in the same budget range.
FWIW, they are much less fatiguing than my old pair of Alesis M1 MkII's in the same untreated room.

I've yet to experience the Yammy's in a treated room, though that is on the cards.

I've seen tons of people rave about the Adam A7s, and I didn't like them... I thought they were overly middy and dull sounding. Monitors are a very personal thing... Just use whatever works for you. The only thing that really matters is how well you know your monitors. You need to know how your monitors sound in comparison to other sources. That's it.

You can kindly get the fuck out of here yourself.

I can understand that the msp's might be more accurate (and so are ns10) but my ears went with the hs80's and so be it, haven't heard from anyone that my mixes sound bad, so get lost.

btw. now i remembered that those were msp3's not msp5's, still not a reason for beeing an a'hole

Sorry man, I didn't mean you should literally get the fuck off the forum. I just disagree with your statement that some of Yamaha's top of the line monitors sound like they came from Toys R Ass.