Why is everyone buying HS80M's?

Sorry man, I didn't mean you should literally get the fuck off the forum. I just disagree with your statement that some of Yamaha's top of the line monitors sound like they came from Toys R Ass.

Yeah, I fired off to fast too, I apologize.

Anywho, I was buying my monitors over two years ago, so my memory was blurred, i was hearing msp3's and not msp5's and they really sounded like toys.

Anywho, you've got me intrigued about the msp7's but they are over twice the price of the hs80s, in the future when my budget permits i'll try them out and eventually swap them.

Yeah, I fired off to fast too, I apologize.

Anywho, I was buying my monitors over two years ago, so my memory was blurred, i was hearing msp3's and not msp5's and they really sounded like toys.

Anywho, you've got me intrigued about the msp7's but they are over twice the price of the hs80s, in the future when my budget permits i'll try them out and eventually swap them.

Yeah I haven't really heard the MSP3's. They have em hooked up to every keyboard at my local Guitar Center though.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying the MSP's are double the price of the HS80's. In the US they are $350ea for the HS80's and $350-400ea for the MSP's. What are the prices on your side of the pond?

Yeah I haven't really heard the MSP3's. They have em hooked up to every keyboard at my local Guitar Center though.

I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying the MSP's are double the price of the HS80's. In the US they are $350ea for the HS80's and $350-400ea for the MSP's. What are the prices on your side of the pond?

hs80 - 255 eu
msp5 - 255 eu
msp7 - 539 eu ;/

Wow. I just found out amazon.com has the msp7's for $315.99ea with free shipping. Thats only 230 Euro!

No offense taken. Yes, I have 2'x4' bass traps made from 4" OC703 in every corner of my room and spanning the ceiling/wall joints. Maybe the HS80's could be helpful to those with untreated rooms due to their huge low end response. Personally I would never try to compensate the room with different monitors. I'd go straight to the problem and install acoustic treatment. I am actually in the process of installing more bass and broadband traps in my own room.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from this post it sounds you have nothing covering the early reflection points in your room? If that is so, then I can easily understand why you consider the high-end of the HS80's fatiguing, as you're getting a fuck-ton of reflections into your ears.

I'm always recommending the HS80's for a budget monitor pair, because I have personally worked on quite a broad selection of monitors, varying from (but not limited to) Behringer 2030's to Genelec 8050's and from Adam A7's to Dynaudio BM15's, and so far I haven't come across a pair even remotely in the HS80's price range that could rival the way they translate. I have a decently treated room, and having all the HS80's compensating switches set to flat, I'd never describe them as fatiguing.

it sounds you have nothing covering the early reflection points in your room?

I was waiting for someone to say that. I'm in the process of installing broadband traps at the early reflection points. I know it would help, but the HS80's are known for their harsh top-end. I don't think my room is to blame completely.

So after all you did say "they have an ear peircing siblance about them and are very scooped sounding" based on your experience in a room that has no treatment for those exact problem areas you described. And after that you stated "Maybe the HS80's could be helpful to those with untreated rooms due to their huge low end response. Personally I would never try to compensate the room with different monitors."

Sorry dude, but I think this one's pretty obvious.

So, people generally agree that the hs50 are a better choice than the hs80 or did I misunderstand something? I was considering buying the KRK vxt4 instead of the hs50 and now I don't know what to get, haha

I think the Hs80 sounds better then the Hs50's.

I disagree.

the 50s don't have as much low end but they're punchier, more defined, they go low for sure but its not the same. Both have a mid bump but 80s have it at a lower point (if the bump was at 800Hz on the 50s it's 600Hz on the 80s, or something like that). Side by side I prefer the HS50s.
Most other monitors in this range (M-audio for example) have a scooped midrange.

I preferred the 80s over the 50s by a long shot

I was waiting for someone to say that. I'm in the process of installing broadband traps at the early reflection points. I know it would help, but the HS80's are known for their harsh top-end. I don't think my room is to blame completely.

No, they aren't. If they were, no one would buy them. They were the most detailed and open sounding monitor I tried when I was shopping 1.5 years ago. They sounded so clean compared to others. Less low-mids than some Dynaudios I listened to, but I bet that the Dynaudios were hyping the low mids.

50s IMO sound the best to my ears, but the lack of low end surprised me at first (wondering why my mixes were low end heavy)

Can't we just make a fucking sticky. This thread keep on poping up like 3-4 times every month. THE BEST LOW END MONITORS are... Yahama hs80's and Adam a7 try em and pick the one you like. If you are high end then we got a few others to chose from

I use Yamaha MSP5 in an untreated room (I know, I know... should treat my room asap..) and they translate very well to every system I've heard my mixes on this far.

Can't we just make a fucking sticky. This thread keep on poping up like 3-4 times every month. THE BEST LOW END MONITORS are... Yahama hs80's and Adam a7 try em and pick the one you like. If you are high end then we got a few others to chose from

I wouldn't consider them low end at all.

$1-499 is low end
$500-999 is mid level
$1000-4999 is pro level
$5000 up is high end

KRK rokit are low end, M-Audio Bx are low end.
Yamaha HS are mid level