why is it that

chupe666

You may enter up to 25 ch
Apr 11, 2002
Where you live
www.chupetunes.com
most of the time when i go to see a movie, it is with other people who regularly see movies, and i always end up seeing something i don't care to see?

case in point: we got invited to see a movie tomorrow night, and the only movie we want to see is finding nemo. they've already seen it. so that means we're gonna end up seeing either tomb raider (eye candy, but i can do w/o it) or sea biscuit (blech). i think i'd rather go to the $2 theater and see the two towers.

i think i just have a few friends that live in the theater.

actually, i recall one summer where paul and his wife did practically live in the theater because their air conditioner broke or something. but they see a lot of movies, and i think this very scenario may have happened when i went out with them before too, now that i think about it!

where do all these people find time to go to the movies, anyway?

FrostGiant said:
Last movie I saw in the theatres was Star War: Episode I. I don't go to many movies.
yeah! i think the last one we saw was in march when they played young frankenstein at the fox theater. before that, i really don't know- not star wars episode i long time, but it was a long time.

FrostGiant said:
Some peole go to movies. I go to the bar. Each to his own I guess.
yeah, i think this is what i do- that and shows. i went to a show friday and monday this past weekend.

and avi- i agree. we so rarely see movies that i'd rather go rent something (even on VHS, 2 for $1) or borrow it from the library than spend $8 per person to watch something i could rent in a matter of months.

on the other hand, most people would probably rather go to the movies than go see a band- which is why the theaters are more crowded than the Dysrhythmia show was (well that, and there was like NO publication of the show- no flyers, no ads, except on the relapse site which was down a couple days ago).

I sometimes go see art movies at the theatre around the corner from my house. otherwise, I pretty much hate teenagers and other crowds at the cinema. makes me not wanna go.

that's it! the last movie we saw before young frankenstein was Bowling for Columbine. which i liked actually- even if his tactics are less than popular, i think he made a very entertaining and at least thought-provoking film. maybe not all of it is correct, but it's at least a good film.

incidentally:

[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Special midnite presentation:
A lost Japanese Sci-Fi Classic
[/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]<A class=targ name=goke>Goke: Bodysnatcher From Hell [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][size=-1]

Fri-Sat Aug 1-2
(Japan, 1968) dir. Hajime Sato, 1h28m [/size][/font]
spacer.gif
m_grok.jpg
[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]This is one of the best Japanese horror and/or science fiction movies. Ever. Survivors of a mysterious plane crash are stalked by mucus-based silver interplanetary blobs bent on destroying the human race by reanimating the corpses of earthmen. Add mascara-wearing male terrorists, genitalia-esque forehead growths, bubble-shaped saucers, various psychotic episodes and the most disconcerting pulsing anti-war propaganda imaginable and you've just scratched the surface of what Hajime Sato's nigh-psychedelic alien invasion zombie epic has to offer. This is essential. Don't be a jerk. "GOKE immediately succumbs to conniption fits of concepts, colors and insane genius, constantly one-upping itself until the film's blaring, twisted climax" -TokyoScope [/font]
spacer.gif
[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]80s SCI FI - midnites in August [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]<A class=targ name=robocop>Robocop [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][size=-1]

Fri-Sat Aug 8-9
(US, 1987) dir. Paul Verhoeven w/Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Ronny Cox, 1h42m [/size][/font]
spacer.gif
m_robocop.jpg
[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Part man. Part machine. All cop. The future of law enforcement. [/font]
spacer.gif
[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]<A class=targ name=buckaroo>The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai: Across The 8Th Dimension [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][size=-1]

Fri-Sat Aug 15-16
(US, 1984) dir. W.D. Richter w/Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Ellen Barkin, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd, 1h43m [/size][/font]
spacer.gif
m_buckaroo.jpg
[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Remember, no matter where you go, there you are. [/font]
spacer.gif
[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]<A class=targ name=spaceballs>Spaceballs [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][size=-1]

Fri-Sat Aug 22-23
(US, 1987) dir. Mel Brooks w/Bill Pullman, Rick Moranis, Daphne Zuniga, John Candy, Joan Rivers, JM J Bullock, 1h36m [/size][/font]
spacer.gif
m_spaceballs.jpg
[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]I knew it! I'm surrounded by a**holes! [/font]
spacer.gif
[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]<A class=targ name=krull>Krull [/font][font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica][size=-1]

Fri-Sat Aug 29-30
(UK, 1983) dir. Peter Yates w/Ken Marshall, Lysette Anthony, Liam Neeson, 1h57m [/size][/font]
spacer.gif
m_krull2.jpg
[font=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]A world light-years beyond your imagination. [/font]
spacer.gif

oooo, they have one like that here too:

Midnight at the TIVOLI
Mel Brooks' comedy classic Spaceballs · Aug 1, 2, 8, 9
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory · Aug 8, 9, 15, 16
Akira Kurosawa's samurai classic Yojimbo · Aug 15, 16, 22, 23
Bruce Campbell in The Evil Dead · Aug 22, 23, 29, 30, 31
Bruce Campbell in Army of Darkness · Aug 29, 30, 31 & Sep 5, 6
Before you die, you see The Ring · Sep 5, 6, 12, 13
The new cult comedy! Office Space · Sep 12, 13, 19, 20, 26, 27
Johnny Knoxville in Jackass: The Movie · Sep 19, 20, 26, 27

Yojimbo is frickin' awesome. I love that movie.

Buckaroo Banzai, sadly, did not hold up so well over time. It's still kinda fun tho - if just for the 80s-ness of it all.

chupe666 said:
i think i just have a few friends that live in the theater.

actually, i recall one summer where paul and his wife did practically live in the theater because their air conditioner broke or something. but they see a lot of movies, and i think this very scenario may have happened when i went out with them before too, now that i think about it!

where do all these people find time to go to the movies, anyway?

Allow me to retort!

We SAW a lot of movies before the birth of the child. Now, to actually go out and see a movie, it's a built up production, with getting the baby sitter, and then because you only get to see a movie once in a blue moon, you fight about what movie it will be. Now, renting is the way to go, BUT, it takes all of 3 days to get through a 2 hour movie at home.

Time for movies was easy. When you work a job that quits at 3:30, you have plenty of time to make it to the movies before 6pm so not only is the theatre empty, you pay the $4 "early bird" price. So, most of the time, we already had a movie in, and were looking for dinner when you were still on your walk to the train station. :tickled:

Novembers Paul said:
Time for movies was easy. When you work a job that quits at 3:30, you have plenty of time to make it to the movies before 6pm so not only is the theatre empty, you pay the $4 "early bird" price. So, most of the time, we already had a movie in, and were looking for dinner when you were still on your walk to the train station. :tickled:
yeah, that's pretty much right. i'm a more waltz-in-at-9am kind of guy. so i ended up leaving at like 5:30 or so, and with the 1.5-2 hr commute, it was like 7-8 before I got home sometime. and heaven forbid if i ever wanted to exercise, which was like 20 minutes away.
the schedule's a little nicer now though. i get home in time to post at 7:30, having exercised and gone to the grocery store and all. still no time for movies though. i guess i'll never understand. much like i don't understand manowar lyrics.