Why the bonus tracks?

ryan1987online

Ignorant Foolishness
Dec 26, 2003
Plano, TX
As you all know, Opeth's first three albums were reissued some years ago with one extra "bonus" track per release. Why?? Were these outtakes, songs that Opeth decided to record just for the occasion, or what? I just want to know so I'll know if they're worth buying or if I should look around for an original copy somewhere on ebay. The only Opeth CD I own is the original release of Morningrise (without "Eternal Soul Torture") and I want to know if I have a real rarity or if it even matters.

Eternal soul torture was a studio recording, put on there just because i guess, and yeah the original pressings of Opeth's CDs are rather rare, and can fetch rather high prices on Ebay etc..

well... yeah, I knew that "Eternal Soul Torture" was a studio recording. I heard that "Into the Frost of Winter" (released on Orchid) had something to do with some side project... clear this up for me, anyone? also, I know that "Remember Tomorrow" (released on My Arms, Your Hearse) is an Iron Maiden cover. I haven't heard it though, is it any good? They did a VERY good cover of the Celtic Frost song.

The bonus tracks are there so the real fans can purchase both copies its all a big cash in

I am intersted in the answer to this as well... anyone prepared to help us out with descriptions of the two songs, please?

I have the Maiden and Frost tribute CDs anyway, so already have those, but do not have any of the reissue CDs.

Thanks.

I got the tin can Orchid with the extra Into The Frost Of Winter.
It sounds like it was recorded in my basement on a cheap cassette recorder.
Sounds like an Iron Man rip-off to me. Horrible does not best describe the thing.
Hope this helps.
Do not buy the tin cans! Get the original with the liner notes and artwork.:burn:

into the frost of winter and eternal soul torture sound like they had a little radio shack tape recorder and put it in the middle of the practice room and pressed "record".....oh snap, i just realized i have the version of orchid w/o the bonus track, anyone know how valuable they are?

Into the Frost of Winter and Eternal Soul Torture are rehersals from the Demo days that were never released, eventually the band abandoned these songs but many of the riffs in these songs got used in Advent. They're really just there for die-hards and collectors, they're a novelty at best. The covers on the other hand are very good and well worth getting, the Maiden cover especially is superb.

sweet. i always thought i was the only person who hated eternal soul torture. i feel better now.

btw, Decadent and I did the vocals for Remember Tomorrow. it was mentioned in another thread. i dont know which one.

nope. i have an incredible range. you probably heard that ball smashing stuff on the Iron Maiden forum. we got alot of flack for covering that song. but, hey, it had to be done.

IM glad I only have one album with the bonus tracks on them, (MAYH) cuz i skip them every time, epilogue = the end case closed no more tracks needed FUCKERS.......................

Jinn said:
Decadent slammed you in the nuts in order to hit that high note, right Dorian?

Actualy the years of heavy drinking have reduced Dorian's balls to the perfect falsetto-tone size. Hopefully by the time I'm his age, I'll be better than Bruce Dickinson.

*chugs*