WHY THIS FORMAT AGAIN?

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
Glenn, why do you make roster announcements every two weeks or in a broken up pattern? Why not announce them all at once?

The reason I ask is, it looks to me that if you were able to make the entire roster announcement all at once it would allow even more time for word to get around about who's coming before tickets go on sale. In addition, I would think you'd be able to put advertisements in various metal magazines, etc.

I'm just curious as to why you do it this way.

Brian

so that way people that arent as dedicated as us will remeber to buy tickets once they actually go on sale. At least thats what I think.

Glenn, why do you make roster announcements every two weeks or in a broken up pattern? Why not announce them all at once?

The reason I ask is, it looks to me that if you were able to make the entire roster announcement all at once it would allow even more time for word to get around about who's coming before tickets go on sale. In addition, I would think you'd be able to put advertisements in various metal magazines, etc.

I'm just curious as to why you do it this way.

Brian

By announcing it every two weeks it builds word of mouth over an extended time. It gives you the opportunity to present "new" information while "reminding" people of the previous news without being redundant. You have to remember that this forum is only a small section of my audience and I have to get the word out elsewhere.

Why pay valuable dollars to advertise the event when I don't need to?

By announcing it every two weeks it builds word of mouth over an extended time. It gives you the opportunity to present "new" information while "reminding" people of the previous news without being redundant. You have to remember that this forum is only a small section of my audience and I have to get the word out elsewhere.

Why pay valuable dollars to advertise the event when I don't need to?

I see, because most of us frequent another forum or two. I just did that very thing on another forum about Sonata Arctica! :) I was just curious more than anything.

I think it's also cooler for the fans. Sure, some of us liked the big announcement of all the bands, but it's kinda too much to take in all at once. One or two at a time, and you've got some time to dwell on that band and think about which albums you're gonna want to buy.

Plus, it gets the info in front of many more eyeballs on metal news sites. Those sites (like Blabbermouth) pick up each and every announcement and run it as a news article. With only one announcement, many readers of that site will miss it (unless they check every single article, as opposed to just the recent articles each time they login). With 10 news articles, the odds that each person on that site catches at least one of them is extremely high.

Glenn's use of this technique is standard PR 101 - because it works! (as long as you have a long enough leadtime to the event)

Since we had two announcements today then, are we going to now have to suffer for 4 weeks for the next announcement?

Hahaha....that same thought occurred to me. I could even see Glenn deferring the next announcement for 3 weeks to keep us all strung out through January....
....but four weeks? I'd have to freeze myself to avoid excessive stress, only to awaken in the far future amidst a vicious war between different agnostic sects-- oh, wait. :heh:

I like the every two weeks format. It gives the bands some spotlight by themselves instead of just grouping all of them together. It is also like Christmas. The anticipation of the presents you got or in this case the bands who are going to perform. Great stuff.

Hahaha....that same thought occurred to me. I could even see Glenn deferring the next announcement for 3 weeks to keep us all strung out through January....
....but four weeks? I'd have to freeze myself to avoid excessive stress, only to awaken in the far future amidst a vicious war between different agnostic sects-- oh, wait. :heh:
"Science damn you!"

YouTube - South Park - Cartman as Buck Rogers Intro

Yeah and don't forget about the aardvarks... they're bad about that too :loco:

Seriously, I like the format as it is. It keeps the buzz about the fest energized.

you freeze yourself. then otters take over progpower. THEN when are we gonna get announcements? those damn otters all they care about is smacking food on their tummies...

I missed the first few minutes of that episode when it aired but "lol." I've seen a handful of Buck Rogers reruns on Sci Fi and remember the intro :)