why to put tapes on the strings?

Massili

Jun 3, 2005
i watched a video of a band tracking guitars and noticed they put some pieces of tapes over the high strings, ok that's i know why .. but why to put tapes (or anything else) behind/under (?) the bridge (tune-o-matic / Thru-body) and on the headstock, behind the nut?

sry for my english i dont know how to describe some specifics terms :oops:

They mute the strings they don't play, to avoid noise from them... Meshuggah does this all the time

I use to tie a sock/towel around the neck when i'm tracking solos with no open strings...

String-thru guitars tend to have high pitched resonance under palm muting. Deadening the strings behind the bridge reduces this.

It can be very annoying to play an extremely tight rhythm take and hear a slight 'eeEEEEEeee' at the end of each 'chug'.

Polpotkin
do you tie the sock/towel around the headstock, just behind the nut?

Moonlapse
thx for the explanation!!! :)

I did it simply to avoid and noise from those strings. Missed picking and fretting noise...

I put a wedge of foam under the strings behind my TOM bridge when recording rhythms to deaden them. I don't tape the high strings because I end up using them alot during rhythm tracking.

Is it stanard procedure to use tape and hairbands and similar stuff when tracking heavy rythm guitars? I thought it was more of something you used under special circumstances, but that doesn't seem to be the case?

My springs tend to make a lot of noise, which mean I have to tape them. Anyone knows any springs covered with plastic or rubber or something that makes them deadsounding?