why to put tapes on the strings?

but duct tape would look sooooo much funnier!!! haha!

My guitar is cover with duct tape already cause I can never get any strap locks to lst long on my guitar! Tried lots of brands, but nothing beats duct tape!!!

1554420990_l.jpg

Lol my MMM1 never lost a strap lock.. yet. I also did the glue and toothpick trick when i put them on so maybe that helped....

Hey so how would this "tape trick" look on the MMM1? And I still don't reall understand what the perpose is. Is it just so you can play sloppier and not have to worry about strings that aren't supposed to sound sounding? I am not trying to offend anyone with that, I really just don't get it.

Is it just so you can play sloppier and not have to worry about strings that aren't supposed to sound sounding? I am not trying to offend anyone with that, I really just don't get it.

There are two uses being described in this thread.

Taping (or wristbanding or sweatsocking) strings between the nut & bridge prevents open strings from sounding, so the player can focus their full concentration and dexterity on hitting the intentional notes instead of having to concentrate on picking and muting at the same time. This can also be accomplished with strategic placement of a bandmate or producer's finger while tracking, as seen in some of Lamb of God's "Ashes of the Wake" studio footage.

Taping strings between the nut & tuners or between a fixed bridge & tailpiece/body, on the other hand, is done to deaden sympathetic vibrations when the player is trying to mute all the strings silent, much like when a player has a trem on their guitar and they tape up or otherwise muffle the springs to kill that noise.

Some also have to tape down (or stuff cotton around) the pickups to prevent feedback (of course, only when in the same room as their amplifier, unless the monitors are really kicking). That wasn't mentioned earlier but that shit has cost me a few good takes here and there.

Jeff