Why tubescreamer?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Hey guys, I've always seen all the hullabaloo about boosting the gain before a tube amp and then rolling down the amp's pre-gain accordingly, but I was wondering why the pedal of choice always seems to be the Tubescreamer. The fact that it has drive and tone controls to me seems like it would color the tone needlessly rather than just boosting it (or maybe the coloration is desirable), but wouldn't a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster or MXR Mircro Amp serve the same purpose? (as they both have only one knob that controls, surprise surprise, gain boost).

cause the "shortcomings" of the TS (and similar pedals...SD-1, ZW-OD etc are pretty much the same) are used for our advantage.
meaning the TS has a low-cut...cutting bass before the gainstages helps making the amp tighter (remember the old "reduce bass on knob, add back bass on graphic".trick for mark-series mesas?)

it's not uncommon to have a stockade of boosters and ODs. I use a TS, a danelectro FAB od (don't laugh, it rules), two homemade ones (a simple JFET booster and a runoffgroove tube reamer), an ibanez tube king, and there's still more out there that are nice, with subtle differences that I'd like to get or make. the TS does have a nice magical quality in that it seems to just work well with a lot of different amps, whereas something like a boss super OD (same circuit, different diode configuration) works well with like a few (like marshalls) and such. it does color it though, and if you don't want the color, you go for a simple booster. but certain amps don't sound all that much better/different with just an increase gain before the input.

when I want some monster gain in an amp with hardly any distortion, I pull out the tube king, and if I want a middly 80s thrash sound in an already overdriven amp, I pull out the TS.

Metaltastik, not all gain pedals increase the 'punchy' mids like TS and TS-type pedals do. The purpose is not more gain - if you need more gain out of a modern tube amp you're more than likely infuckingsane - it is to beat the amplifier into submission in a slightly more controllable way.

Jeff

OK, makes sense guys, thanks. After doing some thorough searching of past threads, the general consensus seems to be that older = better. So if I were to pick up any old TS9 and put this in it, would I be set?

Most newer ones, to the best of my knowledge, come with the 4558 chip already. There are two (precisely two) resistors different between the TS9 and TS808 - both do the job and sound fine, PM me if you want to just buy a TS9 and mod it to 808 specs (or install a 9/808 switch) - 'fat mod'-like mods will defeat the purpose entirely.

Long story short, don't worry about it unless you really like modding or want to try something new. Just get an Ibanez TS7 if you don't want to spend five times as much as you need to, or a Maxon if you do.

Jeff

I don't wanna open jet anouther thread about tubescreamers so I'll ask my question here.

Is there a tonal difference between maxon od-9 and od808, or is the only difference the true bypass?

No, the TS-9 and TS-808 (the 'original' name for those designs) are slightly different. Google 'TS-808 mod' and you'll find links to the mod between the two; personally, I don't give a fuck because they both do as they're told, but you can mod one to the other easily (it is a two-resistor change) and, if you want, set up a DPDT switch to go between the two at will.

Jeff

How different do the TS-9's sound from it unmodded to modded?

I also see there are the modern Silver ones, and the Vintage looking Green ones. What is the difference, and which one is typically used? I'm guessing the vintage one?

I'm considering picking up one of these.

How different do the TS-9's sound from it unmodded to modded?

I also see there are the modern Silver ones, and the Vintage looking Green ones. What is the difference, and which one is typically used? I'm guessing the vintage one?

I'm considering picking up one of these.

Wow, you ARE lazy!!!:

• Where can I find the C4 settings Andy once posted ? Here
  • Where can I find the drum samples Andy once posted ? Here
  • Where can I find the podtone Andy once posted ? Here
  • Where can I find the speakers comparison Andy once posted ? Here
  • Where can I find the tubescreamers comparison Andy once posted ? Here
  • Where can I find the TubeScreamer/5150 settings Andy once posted? Here
  • Where can I find the Metal Drum guide by Oz? Here
  • Where can I find the EQ'ing guide? Here
Feel free to propose more links that would fit in the list...

I just checked it...maybe my ears aren't that good...I only noticed a huge difference between no tube screamer and with one...the mods weren't THAT different to me..

and the names for the audio doesnt really help me determine between the new version of the TS9 and the new vintage one..

You're more likely to notice the differences with the pedal on its own, it really isn't all that big a difference in the first place and shoving it into a gain sandwich like we do around here isn't helping.

Jeff

no
Hey guys, I've always seen all the hullabaloo about boosting the gain before a tube amp and then rolling down the amp's pre-gain accordingly, but I was wondering why the pedal of choice always seems to be the Tubescreamer. The fact that it has drive and tone controls to me seems like it would color the tone needlessly rather than just boosting it (or maybe the coloration is desirable), but wouldn't a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster or MXR Mircro Amp serve the same purpose? (as they both have only one knob that controls, surprise surprise, gain boost).
no, this is not how and why we are using Tube Screamers... it's NOT for boosting the gain, in fact the TS can do it's job with it's gain control turned all the way down... and you should leave your amp gain exactly where you want it to be, don't change it. the TS will simply tighten up the lows and low mids. you can add some gain from it if you want, but i would not reduce the gain on your head... just add TS to taste.... i normally only add gain from the TS when tracking solos, for just a little extra bite.

i was always a non pedal guy. i found that my own personal tone i could achieve and was very happy with through dimarzio passive pups in various guitars/tunings and my mesa road king or mark iv...

but i do admit that for certain sounds they work, pretty much most of modern metal has the boost pedal heavy tone, lead by mr.sneap's liberal usage on all his work (espcially the new chimaira which i love the guitar tone)

but because im working with a lot of bands now, i may get someone in there who i feel the sound migh work well for, or hell, i may like it enough to use it myself.

my question is this: if i had to get one, which is the specific one i shoudl get. between the maxon or the ibanez tube screamer models. i know there are several versions, and revisions or these pedals. the 909 808 etc. etc.

which is the "one"?