Wich Opeth Album has the best Production?

JDF2002

New Metal Member
May 11, 2002
Visit site
I know...All of the Opeth Albums are Masterpieces, What do you people think? Wich Album is put together the best. In my opinion i believe i would have to say Still Life. Morning Rise is my Favriote Opeth album, but the way Still Life sounds.. Oh shit !!!
All of the Guitar overdubs. And the tone of the drums. And the concept behind it fits so well with the music. What do you think??

BWP, though I don't think its as dynamic sounding as the Still liffe album, but, yes, they nailed it on BWP....it's not as much a "metal" production sound as SL is...

BWP is clearer and heavier.
Still Life has a more emotional, complete, full sound.. though a tad less clear.

So ill go with Still Life.... the moment i heard it i was blown away with the sound. Its detailed and each instrument is audible, yet theres also the 'full' sound that an album like mayh had.

hm

I absolutely love the production on Still Life with the drum sound perfect, crunchy distorted guitar along with the warm acoustic beautiful guitars......

There is more experimentation also on still life as far as production goes.....take the drum sound on "Face of Melinda"
Mike even said that they recorded the drums with like two mikes away from the kit in order to create the traditional "jazz" sound. Furthermore I do prefer the slightly reverberated vocals(clean) where as on BWP they tend to not use reverb on the clean vocals.

The production on BWP is also quite superb....although the different vocal effects make the album seem a little over produced in this department.

But what I don't particularly like is the production on the first two albums....everything sounds too distant IMO and needs more of a live sound....also I don't see the twin guitar polyphonic passages helping as theydon't really give a thick texture...Anyhooooo

That makes sense. Getting better and better at production with age. My first thought was how well SL sounds.

There is more experimentation also on still life as far as production goes.....take the drum sound on "Face of Melinda" When I first heard the song, I didn't notice what was going on with the drums until right before it switched to the heavier part...when he drags those things (what are they called?) over the drums.

I can see how BWP shows even more time spent on production. I agree there's a lot more emphasis on the vocals then on SL.

I like BWP's and MAYH's production best. Sounds fuller somehow. Orchid actually had good production too for a 1st album. My least favorite sounding is Morningrise though, it lacks the echo of Orchid and just isn't as nice sounding.. soundwise.

i think BWP has the "cleanest" production, but every album's production fits itself perfectly. i certainly love that muddiness on MAYH as some of you said. for instance, darkthrone does that on purpose and the result is amazing.

Blackwater Park easily. But I also go for the muddyness on MAYH... I can't imagine Demon of the Fall with any other production (considering what the guitars are playing, I'm surprised it didn't come off even muddier).

Got to be My arms... I just love the crazy sound when the album kicks in after the vocal harmony at the start. The combination of the wall of grey sludge guitars and the barfing vocals just rocks my box!

I guess Still Life is the prettiest though.