Will "A Night To Remember" be released in high-definition format?

pentakle361

New Metal Member
Feb 13, 2006
I'm wondering if "A Night To Remember" will be released in HD (high-definition) format in the near future. In a few months, the Blu-ray Disk (BD) will debut in the market. The BD stores HD video, and this technology is supported by all the major brands. A typical single layer BD is 25 GB, which means it can store 5 DVD's. There had been other competitive formats to store HD video, and BD's been the only format to be successful due to endorsements from major brands. Sony would be releasing movies on BD next month I guess.

Since DVD's have compressed quality, imagine what "A Night To Remember" would be like in HD format. It's gonna be over the top in both audio and video. If we're enough satisfied with the "A Night To Remember" DVD, I wonder what will be people's reactions after it's released on BD.

Cheers! :headbang:

No. BD's won't play in DVD players. As far as I know, DVD's will play in the Sony BD player which will be available in late August.

PS: Congratulations on your engagement! Wish you and your fiancee a happy married life! I've checked your profile and you're younger than me by 5 or 6 years. How old is your fiancee?

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

No. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs will only play in HD-DVD players (HD-DVD discs) and Blu-Ray DVD Players (Blu-Ray Discs). The HD-DVD players right now cost about $500, and Blu-Ray DVD players are expected to launch at around $800-$1000. Not to mention the cost of discs! o_o

Bluray has far more space than an hd-dvd but the process itself is more expensive too. HD-DVD has smaller space (which still is a lot bigger than a dvd space), but the hd-dvd players will be able to play any dvd (HD and regular resolutions) while the blue ray can only play bluray. The cheapest bluray player you'll probably be able to find is the full bells and whistles PS3 which will retail at $599.

The problem is that prices will remain up as long as there are two formamts outthere. The dvd became so affordable so quick because it was widely accepted as the new format by all companies. Don't expect prices to drop for it until 1 1/2 - 2 years from now, at the very least.

Since the process is expenisve, there won't be as big a library of movies for bluray format, as much as there will be hd-dvd (in which you can play your old dvds as well) so I see record companies and labels prefering hd-dvd over bluray in the future.

I just checked the Sony site and the Blu-ray Disk player does also play the regular DVD's, but it won't play HD-DVD's. I don't know about the other brands. Also, both BD players and HD-DVD players use blue laser technology, and they both have the same wavelength and speed. The only brands supporting HD-DVD are Toshiba, NEC, Microsoft, Intel and Sanyo.

BlindPanzer is also right about the expensive process. Even DVD Audio and Sony's SACD (Super Audio CD) are very very expensive, and they haven't been widely accepted and established among the consumers, labels and companies. I do think BD's will become the next replacement of DVD's, but it'll take a good long amount of time. Let's not forget the high prices of DVD's when they first came out, and look at their cheaper prices now.

I looked it up and you are right. I stand corrected. But that just drives the price even higher because they need the triple layer technology needed to read the dvds through a bluray disc player/