Will You Still Download? Your Thoughts

Valofvalhalla

Cessation Of Life
Mar 28, 2002
www.cessationoflife.com
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Music industry groups turned up the volume in their fight against song-swapping over the Internet on Thursday, warning Americans in a full-page newspaper advertisement that they could face legal action.
The advertisement is part of an aggressive initiative announced Wednesday by the Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites), which said it plans to sue hundreds of individuals who illegally distribute copyrighted songs over the Internet.

The legal plans marked a sharp escalation in the battle against Internet piracy that until now had concentrated on shutting down the "peer-to-peer" services used for swapping.

Some experts said the group's latest tactic will only alienate the general public.

"Next time you or your kids 'share' music on the Internet, you may also want to download a list of attorneys," a bold print headline said in the advertisement in the New York Times, signed by 13 different music trade groups and associations.

The RIAA was a signatory to the Times ad, which argued that music can be bought online legally without harm to musicians.

"Stealing music over the Internet is no different than shoplifting CDs out of a record store," the ad said. "It's also a very public activity -- meaning that offenders can easily be identified."

More than 2.6 billion songs, movies and other files are copied over computer networks every month, according to industry estimates. Executives believe such trading has led to a 14 percent slide in revenues since pioneering service Napster (news - web sites) opened in 1999.

The RIAA, whose roster includes leading media companies, has shut down Napster and several similar networks but failed to stem the tide of Internet sharing. It hopes the lawsuits and advertising might deter people in their own homes.

"We hope that parents will pay attention to what their kids are doing ... that corporations will pay attention to what their employees are doing," RIAA President Cary Sherman told Reuters.

Adam Cohen (news), a partner in the litigation department of Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP, said the music industry in its battle shows "a lack of concern with alienating the consumer ... It's hard to imagine that this would really spur people to buy more records."

Cohen, who has represented online radio and Webcasting services on copyright issues, noted the Napster case ended with a bankruptcy but left open the legal debate on targeting individuals who copy music for non-commercial purposes.

I'll keep DLing and keep buying. I downloaded the new Nevermore album, but I'll buy it when it comes out...I downloaded a bunch of Vicious Rumors and Amon Amarth songs, and will buy their shit...I downloaded a few Opeth songs, hated them, deleted them, and will not buy Opeth. I'm anti-piracy because so many people (not metalheads, mostly) misuse it, but if the technology's there, I'm gonna use it.

I will download , that's the only reason I have DSL is to get as much music/media as possible. I still buy though when I really like a band. I downloaded Darkane and loved it so much I went out and bought it to support the band. But downloading is great cause alot of stuff sucks and it's too expensive to just buy based on a name.

I've only ever pulled .mp3s from bands' web sites. Good way to experiment. Never got into all that shit, wouldn't know how to swap files, get whole albums, etc.

I will remain in my asylum of ignorance...

Im a music pirate and will stay one- If they sue me- I will bring my Cable Internet provider in as a defendant- all those adds about how fast you can download- I was misled.

Still CLinton did sign that law a few years ago- which I believe made even peer to peer sharing illegal ( am I right in this?)

they had on the news that they will start sending viruses to DL-ers. I DL-ed some songs yesterday:
Jefferson Airplane-White Rabbit & Somebody to Love
as well as 3 Summoning songs off of their new cd that I can't wait to buy, but I never DL entire albums.

I would think that the labels going in and searching your computer files would be illegal without your permission. Like an invasion of your privacy. Because essentially, that's what they're doing.

Valofvalhalla said:
"Stealing music over the Internet is no different than shoplifting CDs out of a record store," the ad said. "It's also a very public activity -- meaning that offenders can easily be identified."

This is rediculous..because people have been doing this for years..remember albums and tapes? I used to make tapes of my vinyl for my friends when I was in grade school...it's the same exact thing how the hell are they gonna police that?! When I download..I buy. It saves me from buying shitty bands. The people who download and don't buy are complete jackasses that are ruining it for everyone.

I only DL songs for two reasons....one, to sample a band, to see if it's worth spending money on them. If i like it, i will buy some of their stuff. Number two, i also DL stuff from very hard to find or unknown bands so i can live off of that to get my fix of those bands until i find an oppertunity to buy their stuff. And I will continue doing this until the day they shut all this down...if they ever do.

I'm surprised to see how many people here download... I really never downloaded any song myself. Some people are right to say that it enables you to make a good decision on wich cd to buy next but I rather go in the music store and listen for a few minutes (cuz I have to go there to buy the cd anyways....)

As for the article... I do think it is ridiculous to think that they will be able to control peer-to-peer....

MindInsane said:
This is rediculous.

My thoughts on this govt stuff is this.....how the hell are they going to keep track of all these people? Who is going to pay for the court costs? Most kids don't have the money to defend themselves against this. I think it's just a scare tactic. We shall see! I go to band websites myself. There is too much bs going on in KAZAA & Lime Wire. Too many hits on my puter. They can have their sites. I know where to go to get what I want and I agree, I download MP3's and if I like what I hear, I go out and buy the cd to support the band just like Hiddenlegions.

dsl and cable lines were made almost specifically for faster downloads; besides, the govt and music industry dosent have the time/money/manpower to wipe out illegal filesharing, this is simply a scare tactic.

pest666 said:
I would think that the labels going in and searching your computer files would be illegal without your permission. Like an invasion of your privacy. Because essentially, that's what they're doing.

I don't really see how in the context of P2P networks. Soulseek, Gnutella etc. are open to the general public. Files in your shared folder(s) are searchable by any one on the service. Therefore, you are willingly admitting to having illegal content in a public forum. They are merely using the same tools you use to locate files yourselves. It's not like they're hacking into your private home network and running packet sniffers on your processes then suing you because moved files from your laptop to your desktop. (Although, they have prosecuted a few college LAN sharers if memory serves but that is again not a private home network exactly.)

One thing I must confess to morbid curiosity about is the extent of evidence gathering. You might think they'd just settle for the computer in question. However, the fuzz do go after all storage media- be it CDs or drives in other computers- in other cases. A nice service the RIAA lawsuits ARE known for is they have a machine combed for the files and pass along information to relevant companies re: software not registered properly. So, their stretching things to make life worse for people would be far from shocking.

Personally, I'm in that minority who uses MP3s for legitimate purposes. Demo swapping between fellow label employees. Backups of the rare CDs for the car. So, this is really just morbid "what's next?" kind of fascination.

xoxoxo
-k-

Blah, I dont download unless the band permits it, case in point, the title track of the new Nevermore.

But for the most part, I'm anti downloading music. Not because of the artists rights, though thats definitely a part of it (I'd be pissed if the work I've been spending my life on was given away for free without proper packaging, quality, or consent), but mainly because it ruins the euphoric feeling of anticpating a release, marking it on your calender, waiting for the day, it finally comes, you drive to the record store, get there the moment it opens, run to the rack, grab the CD in your still shower wet hands, run to the cashier with a huge ecstatic smile on your face, tearing off the plastic, and blowing your load listening to the CD you've been waiting for, for who knows how long.

This feeling, which is one of THE best parts of being a music fan, has all but been ass-raped by the internet. And its a real shame, cause it is a beautiful thing.

isnt letting a friend borrow a cd the same thing if they take it home & burn it themselves? i mean c'mon, this is a bunch of shit. if they didnt have so many bands out there they had 15 songs on the cd & i only like 3 songs, then thats wasting my money on this band that they hyped up to be so great. i have about 500 cd's & about 750 tapes i bought b4 i had a computer & rest 2 sure alot of them i only like a few songs from that disc or tape so YES im gonna d/l the whole album 2 see if i like more than 5 songs from it & if i do then i buy. i think i have spent & wasted enough money 2 d/l the shit that is out there 2 see if i like it or not & waste12-15 bucks on it. i say fuck the RIAA & the record indusrty since they are the ones that have been ripping fans of for years whether its boy bands or other manufactured groups they call music from the heart when other people write the music for them.

Well, I will keep on dling, but I buy as many CDs as my money allows. Of course, sometimes I DL mp3s as a "test-listening", but that does not mean I couldn't do it legally without buying the CD - because we have a big electronics market called Saturn, and there is a CD Information, some kind of reception with employees who can tell you about CDs they have, and the most important thing, CD Players with headphones, so you can legally take a CD which interests you and listen it there, if you don't like it, you just put it back, if you like it, you can buy it. simple as that.

I download as I do not have the money to spend on music- its either download or buy an album a month- I am 45,000 in debt from college- and had to move back home for the summer as I could not pay all of my bills- but I can afford a 100 pack of cds for 2.99 and burn burn burn- I do have all the cds from a few fave bands including testament- but I have to admit- I am not even bothering to do that anymore- as I download ed the new nevermore, and I am not going to buy it.

Morality and music do not go hand in hand- Its not me the downloader thats fucking over the Metal band- its the record companies, the price they charge for cds, the contracts bands sign- exorbient studio fees- music video fees, lawyer fees, tour managers etc- I may not buy a bands album- but i'll tell my friends about them, and go to their concert if they come to town.