Win 7 ,hard drive failure message,backing up data?

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey ,

Well I finally got my Pro Tools working on WIn 7 64 bit. Now though , when I turn on my computer, I get a message about a hard disk failure on my 1.5 TB secondary internal drive. This drive is brand new, 7200 SeaGate. It ran fine in XP, and a few threads have mentioned that Win 7 can mistakenly see a hard disk as failing when it is not. One thread from an IT guy said that with the Windows Search function that is automatically turned on in 7 , the Hard Drives run 30- 40 degrees hotter than without , and many hard drives have been failing since Win7 came out . I don't know how correct that statement is , as I had Vista for 3 years with that function on and no problems. So my questions are , firstly , has anyone else gotten this message? Is it something to worry about or just bogus? Secondly , I was just about to back up the drive just in case, and I usually just right click the whole drive , and copy and paste it into a folder on my external drive. When windows does this, it doesn't just add the new files , but takes forever transferring EVERY file all over again. Does anyone know of a way for Windows to only transfer the files that AREN'T already backed up?

For backup, you need some sort of cloning program; try Acronis True Image... it's pretty decent at this kind of thing; as you can do incremental backups.

Scan you drive with a 3rd party util, and see if it has any errors.

Whenever i copy and paste in windows and there's an identical file already there i get asked whether i want to skip, copy and replace or rename
you also have options of whether you want it to do the same for everything that comes up as a duplicate in that copying procedure